Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueskyutah ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 05:09PM

From the time I was a child through adulthood I felt unworthy because I did not measure up to the standards of the church. I carried around guilt and shame. Also, because it was too difficult to confess to priesthood leaders, I lied in almost every interview. This produced more feelings of guilt and shame. Anytime I participated in an ordinance, in the back of my mind I felt that it wasn't going to work because I was unworthy.

Nobody seemed to notice.

After discovering that the church was a lie, all of my guilt, shame and unworthiness was washed away. They created it and I was stupid enough to feed it.

Can one ever measure up? Why do people allow themselves to be measured?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 05:13PM

"Be Ye Therefore Perfect"
It's designed to keep you permanently in guilt and shame.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 05:25PM

and, I would add to what sonoma said, it is designed to keep you needing the church to gain your salvation.

And so it goes, a vicious circle that goes round and round and round. You truly feel that you are on that rat wheel.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 09:33PM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And so it goes, a vicious circle that goes round
> and round and round. You truly feel that you are
> on that rat wheel.

Yep. No more running on that wheel for me. I'm so glad that I got off of it.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 06:58PM

"Ye are saved after all that ye can do"?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 09:26PM

And absolutely NO-ONE does all they can do. Hence, under moism, all are lost. The math is obvious.

Posted by: dissonanceresolved ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 09:37PM

I thought I was the only one who thought that! DH told me at one time I misinterpreted the gospel. Ha! At least we're both on the same page now.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 09:31PM

I see my sister and her husband, both TBMs, in this situation. They are angry, hostile, frightened. They are now in their 70s, served a disastrous foreign mission a few years ago, nearly bankrupting themselves, and only one of their four adult children stayed in the church. They are sad, broke, stuck in a depressed part of the US (couldn't afford to move back to their affluent area), and laboring for the church. I'm brokenhearted for them.

Posted by: xtremewayz ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:23PM

Having been recently bounced out of my home (nov 2013) for having apostate views.....i still struggle with shame, guilt and depression. It's been 8 months after a 30 year gig in the church and marriage. Now it's all over. I'm content in having left the church but still struggle to get some off the brainwashing/conditioning out of my thought process.

I am now wondering if Mark 11:23-25 actually is true. I'm struggling with my faith and find it no surprise that so many...over 40% I believe, become atheists. Having wondered where God is in all of the deception, i find no peace.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.