Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:44PM

Former Bishop was talking with a group of neighbors and started in on the Nauvoo Expositor being destroyed because of all the lies it printed. The neighbors were all LDS youth. I was close enough to hear and horned in by asking 'what lies'?

He couldn't come up with any.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:46PM

As far as I understand it there were no lies just truth and that's why JS wanted it destroyed so he didn't have to deal with facing the truth.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:48PM

The paper was going to print lies about how Joseph Smith had a bunch of wives and that he was banging a tin of ladies.

That would have been a total lie because just a few weeks before, in a public address he stated, after claiming to have done more impressive work than Peter, Jesus, Moses and Abraham that:

"What a thing is it for a man to be accused of having seven wives, when I can only find one".

So you see, it would have been printing a lie, JS obviously only had one, and he is more righteous than Jesus and would never lie.

So, there you go, there are the lies about to be printed in the Nauvoo Expositor.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:50PM

Thank you for clearing that up. After I read crissykays post I nearly lost my testimony.

Posted by: safetynotguaranteed ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:11PM

Don't worry, I'm going to write a vague essay based on the facts above and then hide it somewhere on this site. That will surely make you keep your testimony forever!

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:50PM

Obviously, the biggest lie was that you could by the paper for 25 cents. Joe had all copies destroyed so nobody could buy them.

Prohet 1 - Expositor 0

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 04:16PM

Actually, several copies survived! You can find a copy to read online. Ask the former bish to read it.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:55PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 06:07PM

Thx

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 04:15PM

His version doesn't make mormons sound any better. Bottm line is they illegally destroyed it.

If the press was destroyed because it was printing lies about JS.....who destroyed it? Who would want to stop lies about JS? JS and his cronies of course.

If the press was destroyed because it was printing the truth about JS's poligamy...again, who would want to stop the truth about a JS lie? JS and his cronies of course.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 04:20PM

Ironic now that LDS Inc attempts to control everything through claims of copyright protection.

Anyone who takes any of their copyright infringement threats seriously should remember than Sean Parker and Napster nearly broke the music industry, and would have had Steve Jobs not saved the industry with iTunes.

I would submit we are very close to LDS Edward Snowden, and any of their claims will not matter once information hits wikileaks.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 04:52PM

They essentially printed (one edition) the history of Joseph Smith's adulterous liasons with other women. This was officially denied by church leaders at the time, thus it could be smeared as "anti-Mormon lies", and people (Mormons) would believe it. Now 170 years has come and gone and most Mormons don't care about history (even their own) and so things said officially 170 years ago are still believed, even though any person who has examined church history now knows Joseph Smith married dozens of women and had sex with everything with breasts and a vagina. So in a sense, we haven't progressed at all. The lies are still (a) easy to believe and (b) easy to repeat to people who know nothing. Really I guess Mormons are alot like alot of other people, or at least one main group in our current day society. A large percentage of people are not logical beings. I'm not sure if we will progress much more as a species.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 05:14PM

I hear you, elciz. Sometimes I am just plain blown away by the disinterest and priorities of people to examine much of anything.....and that would include some of my own children who I believe were raised differently.

Add gullibility and laziness to the two adjectives I just mentioned, and often I wonder what the outcome will be. I hope for progress, I hope for enlightenment, and I do try in my own way to work toward these ends, but when I am told by my own child that he must protect his family from me if I choose to use swear words around them, I am left with my mouth wide open. Does he ever give me credit for anything good I've done (now come on, I have done one or two things), well, the answer would be no. Will he? I highly doubt this TBM clone will ever, ever change.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 05:35PM

There were other charges levied by the Expositor about abuse of power, sealing people up to guaranteed exaltation, teaching a multitude of gods, etc.

* The abuse of power is a subjective judgment, but one with which most objective historians would agree.

* The sealing people up to guaranteed exaltation is actually canonized in D&C 132, which was not yet published in 1844.

* The multitude of gods charge is also accurate, beginning with verses in the BoA and extending to the as-god-is-man-may-become couplet.

It has been a number of years since I read it, but I recommend that everyone do so. It is well written, accurate, and comes across as very even-handed in my view (i.e. not shrill or hyperbolic).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 05:36PM by Facsimile 3.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 06:11PM

The Nauvoo Expositor was destroyed because it was telling the truth about Joseph's polygamous relationships. Joseph wasn't too keen on that becoming widespread public knowledge.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 06:39PM

story to be continued next week

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:13PM

Thanks for speaking up. You could have kept your mouth shut.

It could be that one of those kids will be thanking you in the near future.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:44PM

Note: JS was not killed for destroying the Expositor. He was being held on the charge of treason - an upgrade relating to what he did when charged.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:52PM

He was not killed for destroying the Expositor, and he was being held on a charge of treason, but he probably was killed because of the sexual and financial antics that the Expositor had exposed or was likely to expose. It turns out that people don't like it when you try to seduce their wives and daughters and cheat them in land deals.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:56PM

The Tanners used to sell a reprint of the expositor. I didn't see it last time I was there.

Posted by: min ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 08:14PM

What's hilarious is that Mormons use the line "it was destroyed because it was printing lies about Joseph Smith."

Even IF that was true, it's still illegal to destroy a business and smother free speech! Mormon's crack me up.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 08:17PM

I have a printout of the Nauvoo Expositor and I have not found one--single--lie printed therein.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 08:20PM

Actually the Expositor was one of the first "anti Mormon" things I read. It also reveals that Smith declared himself basically rightful king of the world. This, and his ironclad control of Nauvoo, which he used to prevent outsiders from prosecuting himself of other Mormons, really bothered the educated, ambitious NonMormons in the surrounding area. They seem to have made up the majority of the mob, based on the sheriff's investigation and follow-up research I found in a U of U master's thesis.

A few months ago I saw a blog where someone was offering a good chunk of cash to anyone who could find a lie in the Expositor. I believe that most of it was true. The blogger was fact checking a detail about the land speculation that a reader claimed was a lie - but for the most part the Law brothers, Higbees and the rest of the Expositor gang seem to be much more honest than Smith

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 09:56PM

Mormons LOVE lies.

Tell some whopper about Mormons and they'll laugh.

Tell an embarrassing truth and they get angry.

If the Nauvoo Expositor were full of lies then Joseph Smith
would have had a libel suit against them. He could have simply
exposed their lies.

However the problem was that the Nauvoo Expositor was telling
the truth that Joseph was trying to hide. That's why he had it
destroyed.

The problem was that Smith was doing a lot of things in secret
and lying about it in public--illegal things like polygamy
etc. What Law did was blow the cover off Joseph Smith's secret
dealings by telling the TRUTH that Joseph was lying about. At
the time the average Mormon couldn't know who was telling the
truth or not. However since the Church admitted it was
practicing polygamy in 1852, the truth about what Joseph Smith
was doing came out in the Church's own sources. You can verify
EVERYTHING in the Expositor through Church-friendly primary
sources.

People repeat the mantra "The Expositor was full of lies" who
have never read any of the Expositor. To them I say here it
is; find one lie:

http://www.solomonspalding.com/docs/exposit1.htm

http://www.solomonspalding.com/docs/exposit2.htm#pg3c1a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 10:03PM by baura.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.