Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shiningwaters ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 02:30PM

I was always wondering if the rule of 3 was always followed. I mean if 2 female missionaries come to a door and another female is REALLY interested and are invited in would they seriously say no?

How if it was a really hot day? and they are invited in for a drink.

I understand the rule... I just wonder if it is always followed

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 02:39PM

Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 02:40PM by sonoma.

Date: July 23, 2014 03:51PM

Always obey the Rule of Three: In order to enter a home to teach or visit a member or nonmember, there must be three men or three women 16 or older present in the same room. A person in the next room does not count. … The only exception to this rule is that you may enter the home of a person of the opposite sex who is 70 or older. If a person 70 or older is home with someone younger than 70, you must follow the normal Rule of Three.

There is wisdom in setting up these sorts of rules. They are a hedge against false accusations.

So if 2 female missionaries meet with another female is that considered the rule of three? or is it 3 missionaries and one female investigator?

Posted by: The Ohio State ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 01:51PM

shiningwaters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Always obey the Rule of Three: In order to enter a
> home to teach or visit a member or nonmember,
> there must be three men or three women 16 or older
> present in the same room. A person in the next
> room does not count. … The only exception to
> this rule is that you may enter the home of a
> person of the opposite sex who is 70 or older. If
> a person 70 or older is home with someone younger
> than 70, you must follow the normal Rule of
> Three.
>

And don't forget that it is imperative that the exact age be determined. Turning 70 next week is unacceptable and the exact age must be determined by either a birth certificate, two government issued photo IDs, or by examining the wear patterns on the person's teeth.

In the case of a person going through gender reassignment procedures, it is acceptable to treat them as a member of the sex they are transitioning too if more than 49.9232456624321% of the procedures have been completed. This must be documented by notarized affidavits from at least three (there is that number again) physicians.

The missionaries also must be mindful to request to straight backed chairs from which to teach as the true order of missionary work requires straight backs. It also makes it less painful for the missionaries who are required to sit their with sticks up their @$$es.

....amen

Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 02:45PM

I guess im out of the loop on the 3 what is up with that are they afraid sinful things will happen when 3 people are involved and not just two lol this is funny? But seriously what is the actual ruling please share I am not familiar with this.

Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:24PM

The rule is two missionaries are not allowed to be alone with someone of the opposite sex, unless a member of the same sex of the missionaries is present.

So for 2 male missionaries to teach a lone woman, they need a male member with them. 2 female missionaries need another female member to teach a lone male.

We always found ways around it on my mission, like leaving the apartment door open, saying it was a nice day why don't we have the lesson outside, or just breaking the rule if the lady was someone we felt comfortable enough with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 03:25PM by oneflewwest.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 27, 2016 03:47AM

We used to joke that the combined ages of my mishies (19 and 20) added up to my age at the time - 39.

I was enormously fond of my mishies and always had treats prepared for them, sometimes even dinner.

Because they didn't have a phone (which I thought was stupid), I gave them the key to my house and told them to feel free to use the phone FOR THEIR WORK ONLY - no long-distance calls. They never violated the rule.

I also told them that if there were other mishies in the area, feel free to invite them over, too. As a result, I never knew how many I would find at my house on P-day.

We had such a great time - we would pool our money, order pizza and soft drinks, rent an appropriate video, and have a great time. I promised not to snitch (and they knew I wouldn't) if the video ran later than their bedtime.

One of the mishies - whom I had met as a brand-new greenie - insisted on stopping at my house when his mom came to take him home after he was released from his mission. He gave me a big hug, and so did his mom. She thanked me for taking care of "her boy."

It was so much fun, being the foster mom to a whole bunch of mishies.

Posted by: jrichins278 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 05:19PM

It's not only for missionaries, but for home teachers as well. My HTs stopped by last night and refused to come in because my husband was gone. Crazy! One of them is related by marriage and we've been to multiple family functions together. Yet because he was there on official church business he couldn't enter my home!

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 05:32PM

I broke that rule fairly often as a missionary. Seemed pretty silly that the two of us weren't sufficient to keep each other from having sex mid-discussion.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 06:22PM

The guys who make these rules have read too many letters to Penthouse (not that I know what that means).

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 12:54PM

donbagley Wrote:
> The guys who make these rules have read too many
> letters to Penthouse (not that I know what that
> means).

Actually, I think they've sent home far too many missionaries (usually male, though not always) who didn't do a "rule of 3," and wound up having sex with the "investigator." Willingly, happily, regularly, and secretly.

I have no doubt that the "rule of 3" isn't to prevent unwarranted accusations. It's to keep horny young men and women from acting like horny young men and women. :)

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:10PM

I used to love to bring this up in PEC meetings.
AS HP Group leader, I was responsible for my guys to home teach the single sisters.

Rutabaga: Bishop, we're ready to help, but sending my guys in to home teach these young single women has so many problems I don't even know where to start.

Bishop: Well you're supposed to have three elders in a situation like that.

Rutabaga: So three guys crowding into a single womans apartment is supposed to make her more comfortable?

Bishop: Um, well, hm.

Rutabaga: The only thing that works is for my HPs to take their wife along in this situation.

Bishop: Um, well, hm, yeah I guess so. I see your point.

Posted by: cocoaberry ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:55AM

My single mother has always had husband-wife home teachers (with one really weird exception...). These couples always home teach together, the men never with a male companion.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:24PM

Rule of 3. Never heard of it. We taught many single young women without concern from Mission president or mission leader or zone leader.
Also how is 3 dudes and one girl bang prevented?

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 08:45PM

In my mission we couldnt have an equal number of people present from each sex.

So, two males could not be alone with two females, or three females alone with three males... there always had to be at least one more present, along with the rule of three.

They said this would prevent "pairing off" because everyone in the world is absolutely sex crazed and missionaries are so damn irresistible... oh and we are all straight for that matter.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:02PM

Like in the TV series "War of the Worlds" from the late 1980's?? The aliens were always traveling in 3's in that series!! Well at least the first season anyway!!

War of the Worlds (TV series)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Worlds_(TV_series)

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:23PM

Joe smith was obviously quite aware of how difficult it is to organize a ffm threesome.

Of course, now that a bj is the new handshake with the young people, even the rule of three may be culturally obsolete.

Posted by: bewarethetea ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 03:50PM

I'm a young person here, and I can assure you that's definitely not true.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:30PM

At age 69 a person can be horny, but at age 70 a person can't?

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:39PM

I'm guessing you meant of the opposite sex?

On my mission we (male missionaries) were technically supposed to hand over any single female investigator to the sister missionaries or have another LDS adult present.

We broke that rule all the time. It was too cumbersome and/or we didn't want to give up our baptism number to the sisters.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 06:29AM

I had sisters in the same city once. We hardly ever had members teaching, so that rule was a joke.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:50AM

When was that rule formally instituted? It was never mentioned during my mission (Montreal 1980-82). I think we would have ignored it though, given that actual teaching opportunities were so rare.

In one of my areas, we had one of those eternal investigators (Québecoise) who just really liked the missionaries. At the time she was divorced, would have been in her late 30's with a daughter about 10. Every set of elders in that area thought nothing of visiting her place for a few hours to relax and unwind, and had been openly doing so for several years. There was no hint of flirtation much less seduction to anyone's knowledge.

A few months after I left the area, she decided to get baptized, which amazed me and every other elder who was acquainted with her. (The biggest hurdles for her had been tithing and the WoW.)

Then about six months later, near the end of my tour of duty, I learned that she was getting married – to an elder that was still in the field. He'd been assigned to that area sometime after me, and apparently they'd fallen in love and he had proposed. He was a month behind me, so he too was near the end, but he was planning to return to Montreal, get hitched, and stay. Like everyone else, I was stunned. I saw her once after I heard the news, and she confirmed it; she was referring to him by his first name, which she'd never done with me or any other elder in my presence. I have no reason to suspect that they didn't go through with it either.

Another story, different area. My companion and I were driving back to our place from an evening with the sister missionaries in our district when we saw a broken-down car pulled over to the shoulder. The driver was a woman, probably mid-30's. I think it was December 1981, and being Canada of course it was snowing pretty hard. We decided to give her a ride, even though we *knew* it was against the rules. She wasn't dressed all that warmly, and we figured it would be a greater sin to let her freeze in the dark.

So she hopped in the back seat, and we started off. Her place was on our way, so we didn't have to make a detour. Right away, we could tell that she had been drinking; we could smell it on her, and we thought, "Oh, great."

Normally, it was a quick drive, but because it was snowing and nighttime, I couldn't drive anywhere near the speed limit. It was taking way longer than usual. About 15 minutes into the drive, she started getting uneasy about our intentions, and told us to drop her off right then and there. We still had maybe 8-10 miles to go, and my comp turned around and said, "Look, lady. It's cold out there, and no one else is on the road now."

She quieted down, but a few minutes later, she asked if it was OK to smoke a cigarette. We both said "NO!" so of course she lit up, and we thought, "Oh, f***." So we spent the rest of the drive in a car filling up with cigarette smoke and wishing we could go faster without skidding off the road ourselves.

We finally got her home, then rolled down every window (in the cold, snow and wind) for the rest of the trip back to our place in order to get the stink of smoke out of the car. Didn't work. Two days later we picked up the sisters to drive with them somewhere, and one mentioned that she could smell cigarettes. My comp and I looked at each other with an "Oh s*** we're busted" expression. But then she said that it must be them because earlier they'd been teaching an investigator who smoked.

Lord, were we relieved to hear that. For obvious reasons, of course we never fessed up. Luckily, we weren't put into that situation again.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 06:30AM

Got my Masters at McGill in 2009.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:45AM

I was an unwitting enabler once. I was assigned to the mission office when a missionary in a nearby area asked me to come with him and his companion to teach a young woman. Um, okay. It turned out the young woman was already a BIC member and that the missionary who talked me into coming along had the serious hots for her, and she for him. They stared longingly at each other and chatted about inane crap. His companion was pissed off about the whole thing. But it was technically okay because there were three of us. That was the last time I saw any of them. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back after his mission and married her.

But then there was the time my comp and I, stationed WAY out in the boonies, tracted out a pair of young, attractive school teacher roommates. We spent a couple of hours with them just talking about non-religious stuff. Total violation of the rules, but nothing inappropriate happened.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 04:40AM

So can 4 sister missionaries be alone with a single male?

Date: July 26, 2014 11:37AM

Heartless Wrote:
> So can 4 sister missionaries be alone with a
> single male?

good question

Posted by: Jacob_556 ( )
Date: February 16, 2016 02:28PM

So to clarify, no one seems to get this, the rule of three isn't really to prevent bad behavior, it's to prevent lawsuits. Before the rule there were occasions where a female would claim the Elders or Elder sexually harassed in some way the girl. And since the guys together would of course stick up for each other, it wasn't a solid defense, and true or not, the court proceedings took a long time and a big chuck out of the time for serving the missions. So when the rule of three was instituted it was so that another person was there to testify to whatever the truth of the situation was.

We always tried our best to obey the rule of three, and sometimes we couldn't but it's always best to just follow the rules like that. From everything I saw on my mission, a woman claiming harassment for no reason is not out of the question.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 16, 2016 10:07PM

IN ~ on threesome thread

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 17, 2016 11:27PM

That would be hot.

Where would the guy be?
Or would there be 1 or 2?
Would he be hot, or cool?

What does the lady of the house serve them to drink (to cool them off and help them think)?

Rule of three - get a room (in the temple).

Posted by: jim ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 11:14PM

I was asked to take the Elders to pick up an investigator back in the 70's. One Elder insisted that he go in to get the guy alone. The investigator hit him in the mouth without warning and told him to never come back. I was told very firmly that I should never have permitted the Elder to go in alone. Perhaps not. I did not go with the Elders again.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 12:04AM

I remember the story on this board from years ago that a mission president asked missionaries what they would do if they were in their car, and it was pouring rain and they saw his wife getting soaked out on the street. They all said they would pick her up. He said no, because two missionaries weren't allowed to be alone with a female.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 27, 2016 09:50AM

Knowing the hearts of men and the monkey business of which they're capable, why didn't Jesus say from the beginning to go out in threes instead of pairs?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.