Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:21PM

This letter is a notice of my formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I consider my resignation effective as soon as this letter is received by you. I expect you to remove my name completely and promptly from your membership lists. My resignation needs to be processed immediately, without waiting periods or attempts to persuade me to come back. I do not care if the church has a long procedure for removing the names of members. I would like this done immediately and without fuss. I am not ok with many of the things the church does and has done, or how the church makes me feel as a person and as a young lady, and I will not be persuaded to come back, so please, do not bother trying.

I expect full confidentiality in my resignation. It is NOT ok with me for you to tell my family, friends, peers, or other leaders not involved in this procedure. It is none of their business, and I believe I have legal protection in this matter.

I understand the "consequences" invoked and implied by my resignation. I accept them wholeheartedly. I am aware that my resignation cancels the effects of of baptism and possibly previous blessings. Obviously, I am very much ok with this.

The only contact I want after this point is a letter confirming that I am no longer a member of this church.

I think it important to note that I am NOT leaving because I am "offended", because I "want to sin", because "I've been reading anti-mormon literature", because I "want to be immoral", or because "the adversary has ensnared me". I am not leaving so that I can enjoy Pepsi or whiskey, or both at the same time (although that may be seen as an added bonus). No, I am leaving for many reasons, and I make this decision consciously, as an adult. This church has contributed greatly to the social anxiety and depression I am now attempting to conquer (the results of which have been improving steadily since I've left the church). I am not the only one who has suffered this; I know many others who have also. Additionally, I disagree with how the church treats women. You say they are equal, but that is simply untrue. Your actions betray your words. Women in the church have no say in many matters that affect them, and many are strongly encouraged, even pressured, to have more children than they can physically, emotionally, or spiritually provide for. That is very wrong, and I disagree with it. As a woman, I want no part of it, and I refuse to associate with or support an organization that encourages this way of thinking. I believe that the church will have to change the way it views women, as women gradually gain rights and equality in the world. I also disagree with how the church has and is treating people who publicly question it, whether they love or dislike the church. You may have the right to force people out who disagree with or question you, but I also reserve the right to leave when news of it reaches my ears.

What other church stalks its members? What other church sweeps its history under the rug so cleverly so as not to scare people off? What other church regulates even what underwear its members may wear? It is easier to control people when you regulate even the smallest things. In studying the FLDS cult, I see similarities in the way their leader controlled the people under him, by controlling their daily activities so much that they let him control the bigger things in their lives. What other church advocates the value of families, while people who have left the church for whatever reason find themselves shunned or disowned by family and friends within the church, or are advised to divorce their inactive or exmo spouse? That does not speak of the sacredness of families. That speaks of fear. What other church attempts to keep its members extremely busy with church activity, so as to keep them out of the real world? There are words to describe what this church attempts to instill in its followers: Delusion. Social Isolation. Blind Obedience. Intolerance of Other Ways of Thinking. There are many good people in this church, and many good doctrines. But I fear that the good is grossly outnumbered by the bad. And even if some of the above behaviors are not "endorsed" by the prophet and apostles, they still happen commonly, and they still have devastating affects. I have seen many practices and behaviors that I do not agree with, and that are not healthy for people, families, or communities.

I do not want my name associated with the practices of this church, and that is why I feel it necessary to have my name removed.

You cannot say it is only the unintelligent, the careless, or the faithless that leave your church. I am one of many intelligent, thinking people who have tried this religion, put our shoulders to the wheel, and prayed for a testimony, but with no avail. Although I am choosing to leave this religion (or what some may describe as a cult, as controlling as it is), I am still an ethical human being. I believe in being kind to people no matter what religion they are, no matter what race they are, and no matter their gender. I believe in being honest, and I believe in being faithful in my relationships. And beyond believing these things, I practice them. I do not need this religion to teach me ethics. My common sense does the job well enough. I find that life outside of this tightly fenced pasture is very fulfilling, and suits me much better.

In all of this, I would like my bishop to know that I hope there are no hard feelings, or feelings of awkwardness between us. Assuming that I am "in" the Moscow, Idaho student ward, my bishop is a family friend, and he and wife and family are good people. I just don't believe in the same religion as him, nothing personal.

With sincerity,

My name

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:35PM

The only criticism I would have is where you use " " I would say "so called".

Good luck in your journey

Date: July 23, 2014 01:44PM

Thank you :)

Date: July 23, 2014 01:46PM

Oops.. Accidentally posted my location.. Dammit
Oh well lol. Its a student ward. Always rotating people in and out. I could be anyone

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:59PM

You've got to be the only Mormon living in Moscow ID. And now that you're out of the church that might mean you're drinking.

Based on the reputation that students have up there; stay away from windows and balcony's. Students have a tendency to fall out of them. Just saying...

Date: July 23, 2014 06:33PM

Excellent advice bruce. Yes, i enjoy a nice jack and coke in my room. Luckily there are no balconies in close vicnity ;)

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 02:10PM

Excellent. are you sending this with the Mass Resignation tomorrow in SLC

Date: July 23, 2014 06:35PM

Mass resignation? I havent heard about this... But i believe i would love to be part of it. Whats the story? Is this in support of john dehlin and kate kelly?
Haha you know the church will do its best to hide the fact that all of these people are resigning, and then have to make up some story about how misled the resigners are when people start finding out.. So annoying

Date: July 23, 2014 06:37PM

And is this mass resignation via post or email? Was planning on getting this notarized and sending it in. Wasnt quite planning on doing it this soon though lol. My dad is a bishop. Talk about awkward... Hes really into the church, too

Date: July 23, 2014 07:20PM

Ah, thank you.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 06:46PM

I would remove everything below this as they don't care nor will they read it.

"The only contact I want after this point is a letter confirming that I am no longer a member of this church."

Again! Yeah Baby, Yeah!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 07:22PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Date: July 23, 2014 07:23PM

Lol i wouldnt blame them for not reading the whole thing. Im guessing you didnt read it all, and that really doesnt bug me.
Its partly for me that i spelled it all out. Its therapeutic, ya know?
And i guess something in me just isnt ok with them making me the bad guy without me at least getting a chance to say my bit :p thus the need to explain myself to a nonexistent audience.

Date: July 23, 2014 07:24PM

And looking forward to the no additional contact part... Hallelujah!! :D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.