Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:17PM

I am no longer a TBM but I still do have a strong belief in God and Jesus and as such I wonder why is it the members who say they have had Sacred experiences that they cant or wont talk about are so secretive? I have had spiritual experiences and I don't mind sharing them with people who may want to know and to me if it was truly that spiritual why would they NOT want to share such things. I thought that something hidden was in my opinion not of God. Now I know many of you do not believe in God anymore but for those of you who do is this an odd thing for you to stomach? It is for me I don't know why all the hidden mysteries. uhg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:37PM

Too sacred to talk about usually means "I just lied to you"!

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:40PM

When some says that, say something like "I know the identity of the shooter on the grassy knoll (who killed JFK) but I can't tell you". Or "Aliens abducted me and took me into their spaceship but it's too sacred to discuss".

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:45PM

I've had deeply personal spiritual experiences but I prefer to keep them private. I would never tell someone "I've had a deeply moving spiritual experience, but alas, I can't share it with you because it is too sacred."

Saying one has had a spiritual experience which is too sacred to discuss is no different than saying "I know a secret but I can't tell you." If something isn't meant to be discussed then don't bring it up in the first place, otherwise one is just being self-important.

Posted by: freethought ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:54PM

This thread has some interesting ideas about this:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1019999,1020450

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 02:00PM

Eveyone has them....they are nothing more than "personal" experiences. Has nothing to do with any kind of sacredness.

When a person attaches the "too sacred to talk about" line, they are just trying to make their personal experience sound bigger and more important than it really is. I think mormons use it to make it seem like their experience was more true and real than someone elses.....ooooh spooky!

Posted by: upThink ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 02:08PM

When someone says they had a spiritual experience that's "too sacred to share", I take that to mean that it wasn't a concrete, tangible experience... Instead it was primarily a feeling with very fuzzy details...

Like when people say, "I heard the spirit whisper to me..." but they are really giving voice to a feeling... Not actually hearing something

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 02:12PM

It's code for: that's too personal and none of your business!
In other words, don't pry into my personal affairs, I am not going to share them with you.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 04:25PM

No it isn't....not for mormons anyway. If it was personal, they would say personal, not sacred.

Mormons use the phrase to give a pretense of importance and truth. Its the same crap JS tried to pull when he "translated" the B of A and said certain parts of the facsimile's couldn't be revealed at this time. Why? Because we're not worthy yet.

That is the same implication when they say their experience is so sacred they can't talk about it. They had a feeling, that's all, but they want to portray it as a revalation or a vision of some kind.

And why wouldn't mormons want to share a totally spiritual and sacred experience anyway? Isn't that what testimonies are all about? What a great way to testify to others and lead them to truthfulness of the church?

It isn't about personal boundries....mormons don't know what those are for others, let alone themselves. Its about appearance, nothing more.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:42PM

Because Joseph Smith told his and look what happened to him.

Now we get idiots like Boyd Packer pointing to Joseph Smith and saying 'megadittoes'.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 04:33PM

What I find funny......is JS said he saw God. I would consider that a "sacred" thing. But he told everyone.....sure it was 12 years later but that isnt the point. Yet members today think they have things that are more sacred then that? As a TBM I always wondered why it was ok for JS to talk about seeing God, but today the leaders were not allowed too. Never made much sense to me.....now it's fully clear.

Posted by: Vote for Pedro ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 04:33PM

I met a guy a couple months ago who told me, in all sincerity, that he had seen Jesus. He was a successful businessman. He wasn't otherwise crazy, or even Christian. Actually, he was a Sikh. When he found out I had been Christian, he said, very matter-of-fact-ly, "I saw Jesus once. I had been praying, and then there was a bright light, and Jesus materialized."

He described it as a beautiful experience at a time of great need. I tend to believe he believes it a lot more than the "especial witnesses of the name of Jeezus, sisters, mountains" or whatever the hell they call themselves now.

He wasn't trying to convert me to anything, or part me with my money. He just really believed that he had a vision, and said so. Seems like that's what an honest person would do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.