Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:10AM

...well, they have to try something. Helping to manage damaged members who had too much meat.....not enough milk?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/58211921-180/health-lds-mental-mormon.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: I_am_me ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:13PM

Sounds like a good idea. There are a lot of people who can't for whatever reason be out of the church, but need help dealing with, not only information, but relationship issues. There are so many families that need help, not just with the subject of whether or not the church is true, but basic communication. This can be great to help those people that need counselling but don't want anything reported back to their bishops.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:16PM

Mormons are human beings first. The approach to their problems needs to center on state of the art models.

A better approach to mental illness; depression, etc, in the LDS Church is greatly needed!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:41PM

Nice to read that. There are many mormons who need good professional help, not judgment, not "just pray, pay and obey." A real professional will help them where they are. The therapist's personal beliefs should not dictate their practice.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 02:18PM

Mormons are often their own worst enemies when it comes to mental health. My mom only recently decided therapy was okay about 4 years ago. Previous to that she held the belief that therapy was evil based on a talk some apostle gave in the 70's or 80's. My brother was seeking therapy about 4 years ago and my mom was bashing him for it. I had to point out to her that the LDS church runs a counseling service itself, after that she did some research and decided it must be okay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 02:19PM by jesuswantsme4asucker.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:51PM

jesuswantsme4asucker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My mom only recently
> decided therapy was okay about 4 years ago.
> Previous to that she held the belief that therapy
> was evil based on a talk some apostle gave in the
> 70's or 80's.

My ex-wife (TBM) held the opinion that there was no such thing
as "mental illness," and that it was only an excuse people used
to SIN.

The idea that the pronouncements of a few men are unquestioned
truth, can be incredibly damaging.

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:24PM

This is an interesting comment on the article from one Corey K:

Peggy, Is there a reason that you failed to disclose that the mormon mental health association is funded by Open Stories, the parent to Mormon Stories, which has been the subject of many of your articles lately? Do you not see any relevance in that disclosure? Should therapists and clients not be fully aware of that fact?

John Dehlin has been quick to promote his so-called apostasy and so-called threats for church discipline in interviews with you and other media outlets. Why is it that Mormon Stories and the Tribune are so willing to discuss and feed the hysteria over church discipline that never happened, and was not pending, but excludes the fact that the subject of this promotion is now funding a mormon mental health co-op that targets people in a so-called "faith crisis?" Is there a reason that his name and role in this particular formation was excluded from the article? Might be better for everyone if we just stick to the facts, and the fact is: MMHA is another venture of John Dehlin. Them are the facts.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:59PM

If that's true.......wow!

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 04:18PM

"Less churchy approach" is code for 'something that actually works'.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 08:07PM

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:21AM

Do you think the LDS church will sue them for trademark infringement?

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:52AM

If it's true, I smell a deal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.