Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Deluded ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:26AM

My former TBM but still active wife was asked to host missionaries for sinner and did last night. My report:

1. Sisters look cultishly homely. Same bland top and black flat shoes, with very conservative skirts. I never really saw it before, but last night I recognized that many see the way they carry themselves and dress as almost cultish. They should really consider pants or encouraging them to look less homely Mennonite.

2. One sister described at dinner how she and her family lived next to a large church farm. I asked if they were expected to volunteer and work it. The answer was obviously yes. She said her large family spent a lot of hours there, as did her whole ward and stake. She described pruning and picking early in the morning, starting at 5:30 before school. She blamed the government for the farms recent shut down. I challenged her on this saying I heard this was a voluntary move by the church, shutting down cannaries and some farms supporting them? Sure immediately backed down and said that is just what she heard and was not sure if the government was to blame.

3. I asked when they got their iPad minis. She said although many missions are getting them soon, not this one. She and her compamiomn voiced excitement saying they were going to flood Facebook, email and blogs to do "online teaching". I cannot I mine there will be much for them to do. Missions like that seem like such a waste. Poor kids will just be annoying the hell out of most people. Cannot imagine this will work.

4. Finally, I remember being a !missionary. I thought I was charismatic, and earnest. I thought I was persuasive. I recognized last night they thought they were exceptional as well. It was awkward when they tried to laugh off the awkwardness or charm through transitioning to what they wanted to talk about. It seems so false. Youthful ignorance.

On my mission I recall visiting members and being so judgmental about their lack of excitement at my words and how lazy they seemed about the gospel. I swore I would never be that way. Now I understand. Like them I am overworked and overwhelmed with my children often. I have real problems, and better things to do than to listen to an over-confident, ignorant, self important teenager impart their vast spirit they are sure they carry. I feel annoyed and sorry for them at the same time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:36PM

Great post and insights.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:38PM

They look out of style and especially when they ride bides with their long skirts. Seriously, it the mission makes them ride bikes, let them where pants.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 02:23PM

But they would lose their femininity if they wore pants.

Furthermore, if they wore pants Mormons might get confused as to the male and female sex roles.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:01PM

But missionaries think *they* deserve priority above and beyond the work, the kiddies, the daily lives of people who have more to worry about than the missionaries.

Sadly, these mashie kids are arrogant, self important and weird.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:43PM

So they haven't gotten the word that sisters are now encouraged to dress more colorfully?

But, yeah, the church pumps them up to think they're special and persuasive (thanks to the Holy Ghost) so it's no wonder they act that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 03:02PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 05:22PM

Not to mention, that the church pumps them up to believe it's the greatest thing since bread slicers were invented and people will be lining up to partake if the mishies are righteous enough!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 05:22PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 05:17PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.