Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stuntman ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 02:32PM

Hey, there. I don't post very often, but I wanted to share this so I signed up for real. Hello!

Today at work I got a spam email that was an author doing a really pathetic job of selling us his book:

"No, I am not beating a dead horse, but I wish I were. This horse is very much alive and running amuck. I realize some of you may not share my passionate views on certain subjects, and thankfully you are free to think as you please, but whether you disagree or not, at least please consider my latest article below and the associated videos included at the end of the article.

(--- blog address here, not sure if I should post it ---)

Wish I could say Happy Viewing, but this is not a light-hearted matter."

What? Okay, fine. So I went to the website out of curiosity and it was all Illuminati nonsense. Anti-Obama hysteria, FEMA conspiracies, etc. Then this about midway down:

"Some circles of influence are already suggesting that citizens who store more than one week's worth of food, water, and survival supplies should be flagged as terrorists. That means the entire Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly called the Mormon Church or LDS Church, would be officially labeled a terrorist organization."

All right, that was sort of out of nowhere. Nothing else about other religions on the page. Then, finally:

"I implore you to give particular attention to the last YouTube video address below by former United States Secretary of Agriculture to President Eisenhower, Ezra Taft Benson."

All right, this guy has to be Mormon. I Googled his name and lo and behold, he is. He's even got the "I'm a Mormon, visit mormon.org" stuff on his Facebook. (And he's just as weird and crazy looking as I expected.)

And all this got me thinking. I was raised in the church and left about six years ago (I was 24). Our ward had the resident dude who would mention Star Wars every time he bore his testimony. And there were the occasional creeps of the ward, but nothing too bad. Everyone I grew up around was pretty normal. Maybe ultra-conservative, but not to the point of believing in the Illuminati and Bilderberg and lizard people and stuff.

But I left before Obama took office. I know conspiracy theorists have been around forever, but 9/11 and now Obama have pushed these people to new levels of nuttiness and irrationality. I just figure that the inherent narcissism of the church (only church with the truth, get your own planet and as many wives as you want, etc.) HAS to have some sort of appeal to the paranoid conspiracy theorists of the world (also a narcissistic group that claims to have the TRUTH, no matter the evidence against). Always puzzled me how many conspiracy people are also super religious. I would think they wouldn't trust the Bible or organized religion any more than the government, but what do I know, I guess.

So while I didn't grow up around these sort of people, is this becoming more common? Can anyone who's still going regularly clue me in? Has the Obama hysteria pushed some of the more hardcore right wingers over the edge into this sort of paranoia? That has to be an actual problem for the church going forward. The further away the mainstream gets away from the church, the more of these people have be showing up, right?

Sorry for the long post, I've just been thinking about it all day. Hope everyone's well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 03:12PM

He is a nut case to be sure. He constantly riducules the big 15 of the church, says the church is in bed with the Illuminati, and has nothing good to say about good ole Mitt, and yet he still consideres himself a TBM. He says the church is in apostacy but he still believes in JS and the BofM. He is very close to being a lunatic.

What you described sounds exactly like what I would expect from him. If it isn't him he must get his info from old Paul.

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 03:17PM

Every few months I re look into this. I can't consistently do it or it drives me crazy. There's a LOT of info on the Internet about Mormonism, illuminati and the freemason connection. I also read a book called trance formation of America and the church is mentioned several times. Theres a lot of theories out there. Whether you believe them is up to you.

Posted by: stuntman ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 04:26PM

Elaine Dalton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every few months I re look into this. I can't
> consistently do it or it drives me crazy. There's
> a LOT of info on the Internet about Mormonism,
> illuminati and the freemason connection. I also
> read a book called trance formation of America and
> the church is mentioned several times. Theres a
> lot of theories out there. Whether you believe
> them is up to you.

Not really my point, if you read my post. I wouldn't believe anything you read about the Illuminati, especially on the Internet.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 04:05PM

Posted by: me ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 04:35PM

yesterday, and look what nuttiness we found!!!

http://www.thewatcherfiles.com/bloodlines/merovingian.htm

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 04:45PM

Someone put a lot of energy into that.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 04:54PM

I disagree. It is based on superstition and intuition. It takes a LOT of work to make a case for it based on logic and empirical knowledge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 04:56PM by me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.