Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:09AM

to stake conference. The GA said it was a sign of rebellion, and needed to be addressed before it turned into apostasy. I felt that being rebuked for the color of your shirt was probably more likely to accomplish that goal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 23, 2012 11:12AM

I used to wear a red shirt for a time, after my mission. My father told me it would be a good way to keep from getting callings I did not want.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:48AM

My father never taught me any such thing, but I did figure it out for myself. And I didn't even have to change the color of my shirt. All I had to do was wear something like a sweater-vest or a flashy tie. Before I learned such things I did two stints as executive secretary. Afterwards the toughest calling I had was ward temple coordinator.

The bishop's spiritual discernment is easily manipulated for those who know how.

Now that I'm apostate (but still going to church for family reasons) I wear all colored shirts all the time, with all kinds of ties, and it seems that the most common reaction I see in people's faces is envy. One ward friend (who doesn't know I'm apostate) said to me "I see you're wearing investigator attire," spoken with admiration, not derision.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:34AM

Nothing like being at a meeting of racists and forgetting to wear the "white shirt". Kind of like going to a KKK rally and not wearig your white hood. Duh!

Good way to show your lack of enthusiam for either organization.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:36AM

these things clearly validate how far astray tscc is from Christ's gospel; also what a crop of asshats it encourages. Not much else.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:41AM

We used to have an SP with anger management issues.

He tried to send me home to switch my blue shirt for a white one.

I asked him whether he wanted me in church or my white shirt.

You could have towed a semi with the vein in his forehead, but he backed down.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:45AM

that facial hair and goatees specifically were a sign of rebellion. I was clean shaven at the time but still thought he was off base.

What a bunch of BS.

The real lesson here is that obedience and conformity trump all in Mormonism

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 01:15PM

When my little bro returned from his mission, my whole family went in to the SP's office for his release. The SP told my brother he wanted to meet with him in 3 months time, and that returning home was no reason to think you could relax and stop living mission rules. "You'd better not start growing a beard or long hair or wearing crazy ties, or else you'll forget everything you went on your mission to learn," SP said.

As we were leaving, my TBM sister turned to me and said, "I have never understood the expression 'the path to hell is paved with good intentions' more than I did when that man started speaking. That thing about the beard was ridiculous."

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 12:41PM

What about just being plain old ugly and unattractive.....is that a sign of apostasy too?
What about not wanting to bow down to feigned authority?
What about not wanting to be treated like a child and having people exert themselves and their opinions over you?
What about wating to not be interviewed and asked private questions about your intimacy with a spouse (or otherwise) by a person with no training or education who is just a bishop?

It is abuse of another human being and assuming authority over them. Keeping a boundary is a sin? Not wanting to participate in the temple is a sin? Since when?

The whole LDSinc.is such an abusive organization that is structured to allow abusive relationships continue.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 01:02PM

A bishop once told my husband that he could tell when someone was getting ready to leave the church by the color of their shirt.

He told me that any woman who wears stilettos and the latest fashion will never have a calling.

When it came to us, he was absolutely right!
After hearing that, my husband never wore a white shirt again. I would wear stilettos, even if I couldn't put them on until after I sat down. We would laugh about the snarky looks and comments we got every Sunday.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 01:20PM

I know how dumb it is, but it's true. White shirts are the outward demonstration of conformity in Mormonism. Wearing a black is like saying up yours to Mormons. Something I've taken to an equally ridiculous levels to do.

Posted by: azkurt ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 01:30PM

Well my ex was only 5'3", so she never wore anything but stilettos, and she ended up in the RS presidency, so I guess our SP was a bit less uptight. Actually, he was a good man, as was our bishop. Too bad the religion they had to represent was fake.

Posted by: Anon8 ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 01:31PM

It was like a gang of KKK hinchman descended swiftly down upon me in the temple hallway. Three of them surrounded me, and would not let me pass so that I could go to the endowment session. They were all in the late mid-late 70's, and I was amazed at how serious and red faced they were. I was ordered back into the dressing room, and they followed me to ensure that I complied. Apparently, although unspoke, a short sleeved white shirt as it revealed a man's naked elbow was enough to send the matrons and other lady's into a sexual frenzy (and some men too perhaps). Effing weirdos, the lot of them.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 03:44PM

I'm not gay or anything, but seeing a guy's naked elbow and forearm is SUCH a HOT turnon!

Be still, my heart!

Date: March 23, 2012 04:14PM

You see a bear male arm in the temple, and next thing you know, you are over in the corner of the celestial room practicing mutual masturbation with members of the same sex.

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 01:41PM

Wearing anything but a white shirt and tie is like giving the mormon equivalent of flipping off the Bishop.

Posted by: closet questioner ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 02:38PM

I got away with no white tie at the temple. Cant remember whether it was an endowment session or sealings. I was worried that my lack of neck wear would invalidate whatever eternally-binding ritual some helpless erstwhile mortal was waiting for.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 04:12PM

I guess going to church in a hawaiian shirt and shorts is out of the question.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 04:43PM

I make a point of wearing a black dress shirt any time I'm in a Morg church (or any church for that matter)....usually for funerals...only reason I go inside churches these days...

Date: March 23, 2012 04:50PM

You can also wear pink. I am straight as an arrow, but I can rock a pink shirt.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 04:58PM

My dad wore an elbow length button up plaid shirt to my nephew's baptism. My DH wore a polo shirt. We walked in the door of the chapel together and the bishop just glared at us. He didn't even say hello. There was a retired couple (maybe missionaries) greeting everyone as they walked in. They looked at me like I was a skank. My skirt went barely above my knee.

Date: March 23, 2012 05:06PM

Next Mormon baptism I get invited to for a relative, I hope I am accompanied with a free spirit who will attract evil glares like you did. Remember, behind every hateful look that a scandalously dressed woman receives, is a hint of jealousy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.