Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:40AM

My teenage daughter mentioned to her TBM grandma that she didn't like going to Mormon church because they never talk about Jesus. And compared to the non-denominational church DD has been going to with her friends, they don't. So grandma decided to pray about what to say to my daughter and came up with this: They don't teach about Jesus because they spend time talking about what Jesus wanted us to know instead. Things like charity, honesty and service. I suppose I can see how this makes sense to her but I'm still shaking my head about it.

I refrained from quoting that scripture that asks how you can serve a master you do not know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:57AM

There's a Bruce Springsteen song that goes, "At the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe."

Mormons don't seem to need very good reasons to keep believing, just any reason.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:02AM

My DD attended one Sunday with a friend. The sacrament talks were all about temples and Sunday school was all about how to recruit your friends to join TSCC.

One the way home, the mom asked DD what she thought. She replied "when do you talk about Jesus?"

Crickets the rest of the way home.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:46AM

Nice. High-five to your DD!

Date: July 23, 2014 11:56AM

Good job daughter!!

Posted by: azisbest ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:09AM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My teenage daughter mentioned to her TBM grandma
> that she didn't like going to Mormon church
> because they never talk about Jesus. And compared
> to the non-denominational church DD has been going
> to with her friends, they don't. So grandma
> decided to pray about what to say to my daughter
> and came up with this: They don't teach about
> Jesus because they spend time talking about what
> Jesus wanted us to know instead. Things like
> charity, honesty and service. I suppose I can see
> how this makes sense to her but I'm still shaking
> my head about it.
>
> I refrained from quoting that scripture that asks
> how you can serve a master you do not know.

Your scripture teaches women that they should be subservient to men. I encourage my daughters to ignore such silliness.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:38AM

They don't talk about "charity, honesty, service." They talk
about "obedience, church attendance, tithing."

Things Joseph Smith would talk about if he were here.

Date: July 23, 2014 02:08AM

Well, they can't tell the difference between Joseph and Jesus. But you are right - my mom always seems to think our area is an aberration and everyone has the same spiritual giants that her stake has, always talking about Jesus and serving him.

Posted by: Carl Pagan ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 06:33AM

The thing is, Joseph Smith has effectively replaced Jesus as the prophet in Mormon retardation ... er, doctrine.

It really is an extremely blasphemous cult.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 08:42AM

Part of it is because there are three different Jesuses. May be more. There is the Jesus of the Sermon on the Mount, who wanted us to be nice to everybody. There is the Jesus of Paul, who is all about "saving". And there is the Jesus of the Book of Revelation, who is all about kicking butt and taking names. Mormonism likes the third Jesus. The Southern Baptists like the second. And the mainstream Christian churches like the first.

If you lke the Revelation Jesus, you don't need to talk about him because there is not much to talk about. The emphasis is on getting the work done so he can return, at which time his job will be to prove to the rest of the world that you have been right all along. There is no deep doctrine. There is no need for Talmudic exegesis. There is only With Us or Against Us.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:11PM

Well, they do have the Sacrament and many of the hymns do speak of Jesus, it does say Jesus on the building but after a while of attending another Christian denomination, I would have to so no they don't speak of Jesus very much in comparison to other Christian religions.

Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:36PM

I think it seems fairly obvious to me that the church spends most of the time talking about its institutional needs and organizational wants. It goes like this: blah blah blah home teaching blah blah tithing blah blah blah I know blah blah sustain obedience blah blah.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.