Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:11PM

Seriously, they could solve so many problems by just going all in on this.

If, tomorrow, the church came out and announced that Tom Monson has officially received a new revelation from the lord. Something like:

"Thus sayeth the lord unto my servant Thomas (probably S., does the lord use his middle initial as well?) Monson. As you have asked concerning my will towards women having my authority to officiate and administer in the ordinances of the priesthood, I the lord say unto you the following: Not at any time have I commanded my servant that woman should administer in the ordinances thereof. I the lord wasn't that cool with black people for quite a while either, but I changed my mind on that.

(and then finish with the obvious stuff). And lo, I the lord am well pleased with my church, speaking collectively and not individually, And behold, I come quickly (he says that a lot, I bet Misses Lord is not cool with that). The field is white, etc...

Then, from that point on, when any woman asks, they just say: sorry, asked and answered. There is really nothing to be argued at that point.

Why not just go for it and wipe all those questions off the board?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:27PM

If the church was lead by prophets, that's probably what they would do. This is what the OW folks are asking them to do. However, they aren't prophets and they know it.

I, Chump, hereby testify in the name of Cheese 'n Rice that no "prophet" of the LDS church will EVER again tie their name to any published "prophecy" or "revelation". They see their kingdom weakening around them and KNOW that their legacies will be that of false prophets, liars, and deceivers. They don't dare put anything out there that would worsen their already tarnished reputations.

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:33PM

When the pressure becomes too much to bear, it allows them to make it doctrine, without having ever explicitly said it wasn't doctrine.

They'll say some BS about "cultural customs of the time lead only men to have the priesthood.. blah blah blah" and the TBMs will continue believing revelation has anything to do with it.

Date: July 21, 2014 03:44PM

I don't get it at all. They will lie about everything and have the tbm's sustain then as prophets, but they won't lie and say they actually got a revelation. Why not just go for it?

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:51PM

The brethren are unwilling to send the message that women have the right to ask for equality. I wonder if the response would have been different it Kate Kelly had stayed at home embroidering a sampler and had her husband ask the question?

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:23PM

Even if they did ask God, I don't believe She would answer them.

Posted by: sunshine ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:21PM

What is so telling is that they are obviously embarrassed how 'thus saying the Lord' to the wider world on anything more relevant than covered shoulders and underwear.

Furthermore, it is very telling that they also don't 'thus sayeth the Lord' to the flock, on advice from their lawyers to protect from future lawsuits.

Either way, they don't want to be seen as prophets = they are lying, thieving bastards!

Date: July 21, 2014 07:08PM

But that's the thing. They are lying thieving bastards already. Why not just go all in and start getting revelations from the lord? It's like they lie but they don't want to take it too far.

They seem to be taking it the other way and backing off from even the appearance of being led by the Lord. Going the corporate route while still being sustained as prophets. It's not working.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:02PM

If one of the brethren started with revelations again the others would know he was delusional. They would have to get rid of him fast before he revealed that God was commanding polygamy again and their granddaughters were to be his new wives.

He might need assassination, I mean martyrdom.

Et tu, brute?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 10:03PM by caedmon.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:09PM

Or worse......that God has revealed TSCC must sell all its assets, give everything to the poor, and the brethren are to take a vow of poverty.

Date: July 21, 2014 10:26PM

caedmon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If one of the brethren started with revelations
> again the others would know he was delusional.
> They would have to get rid of him fast before he
> revealed that God was commanding polygamy again
> and their granddaughters were to be his new
> wives.
>
> He might need assassination, I mean martyrdom.
>
> Et tu, brute?

They would have to all do it together. Just get together and say "look, I know we're all, full of shit on this prophet thing, but we've got to do something. They're giving us 10 percent of their income. Let's throw them a bone."

And then hit the world with a revelation. It's not that hard. I could write it for them if they want...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.