Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:42PM

I've noticed that TBMs, especially among the leadership, are acting like nothing is going on with John Dehlin. The ones I press for commentary have nothing to say and keep putting it off on John's Stake Leadership, as the only ones who can make the decision.

It doesn't matter though and that is what I love about this. TSCC loses no matter what.

1) If they do not discipline John Dehlin, then the harsh and swift exing of Kate Kelly, proves her point, and raises her 'martyr status'. It will open the eyes of many 'on the fence' women who have remained silent. The bad PR will continue and Mormonism will continue to look archaic. People will keep leaving in droves.

2) If they discipline John Dehlin, it will be the 'final answer' to many fence sitters. There are a ton of 'New Order Mormons' who use John as an example of being able to make it work. They will keep leaving in droves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 02:42PM by thewhyalumnus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:44PM

I agree...this is an apt analysis of the TSCC position now.

Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:01PM

The TSCC is hoping it will go away....so far nothing has been done with John and no one is up in arms about it even though the disparate treatment between John and Kate is already blatantly clear. The TSCC won't do a thing as long as no one is making any noise...and frankly, no one is making any noise. It's all been forgotten in our social media driven short attention spans.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:14PM

the very existence of LD$ Inc. depends on people's short memories.

Posted by: SB ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:09PM

Dehlin is a conman.

He knows it is not true. He insinuates, accuses and digs...right up to the line where he is going to be disciplined, then he comes right back and says he was just helping.

He has made a business out of walking that line.

He serves the LDS church to retain members by being their proxy rebel. He asks the questions, exposes the truth and then proclaims "so what if the emperor has no clothes, the emperor is good".

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:10PM

I don't think that the powers that be saw that John and Kate were in a different position than former dissidents and apostates. The internet and the twenty four hour newsfeed has changed the game.

The September Six didn't have internet followers. They could be silenced by excommunication and the worst that could happen was a little bad press at the time and maybe a little more if one of them wrote a book.

The internet lets John and Kate keep the kettle boiling. The twenty four hour news feed increases the need for stories and eyes are on Utah and TSCC because that is where the crazy is bound to happen.

John is leading with two main issues, and they both involve equality. It's hard to look like the good guys when you slap down a guy who is fighting for someone else's rights.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.