Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:12PM

They're right, you know! In listening to John Dehlin's interview of Jeremy Runnells, I heard a quote that really touched me. It was something a member of really prominent Mormon family said. He didn't identify the person or the family they come from, but this person doesn't believe in Mormonism any longer. The person said, 'A cult is any organization that doesn't let you leave with your dignity intact'.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: doubtnot ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:18PM

Good Point.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:00PM

There is no doubt if you're using this definition. The LDS church is definitely a cult. A TBM would probably agree if you applied this test to any other organization, but they would claim it doesn't apply if the organization is the one true and living church on the face of the earth. In that case, it's only natural for true believers to assume the worst and to spread lies about those that leave.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:13PM

I noticed that point too. I think it is excellent and definitive. If you aren't allowed to leave in good standing, it's a cult. Works for me.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:32PM

Well, if you are a mormon, and you are asking yourself that question, there is probably a good reason for that...

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:48PM

If the shoe fits..........

Posted by: TooLazy ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:17PM

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:24PM

It doesn't matter what you google about Mormonism, there will be search results that Mormons won't like. Those results might not come up first, but there is no avoiding them. Try, "is Mormonism true", or "is Mormonism Christian" or "is Mormonism good for my family" and you will see a variety of results. The members can moan and complain all they want. Their only hope is to purchase the internet. I wonder if that's within their budget.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.