Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mrs. Estzerhaus ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 08:21PM

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/mobile/m/tabloid_2010/

Remember the small-town beauty queen who fell in love with the Mormon boy turned London Missionary? The documentry "Tabloid" is playing on SHOWTIME and I think other exmo's would like it.

Most of the documentry is told through Joyce Mckenny's point of view. How she went into beauty padgents as an escape, but she was still really innocent. How this handsome young man swepped her off her feet, they planned to get married, and then she met his TBM mother. Joyce wasn't a Mormon, and one day the boy she loved just disappeared without telling her anything. He turned up in London as a missionary. She followed him, and she claimed he ditched his companion, willingly went with him, but she had to handcuff him at some point. She believed she was helping.

Joyce took the missionary to an out of the way cottage where they made love for several days. She described how they burned his garments. She believed he was perfectly willing until they decide to go back to London to tell their friends. He sees a newspaper where the police are looking for the kidnapped Mormon Missionary. He freaksout, and runs away! The police put her in jail (solitary confinement) for 3 months, and from here on the tabloids are after her. People pop out of nowhere to slander her! In order to make money from her folly.

The Missionary took the stand at the trial, and by then, was brainwashed to say what his Mormon leaders wanted. Joyce wanted to tell her side to the press. So that's what the documentry is about, but it goes on about what happened when she escapes back to America. Paranoia with barking dogs causes her to get dogs for companionship. This all becomes part of the movie.

I watched "Tabloid" only knowing the kidnapping part. Although, even today she seems innocent, and gullible, the Mormon Church, and Missionary would be something we can relate to. The way a cult would look like to a girl who fell in love with one of its messed up members.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 04:10AM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 04:21AM

I had a rather interesting encounter with Joyce McKinney not too long before she made the papers.

Posted by: notamomo ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 10:41AM

I saw that! That chick was kind of a nut-job if you ask me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.