Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: artemis ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:00PM

Just to amuse myself, I was wondering if any of you has a good "3 Nephite" story to share. Something you heard in Seminary or Sacrament Mtg maybe?

The only one I ever heard was about a worker dude who went to a lady's house to do a job. He had thoughts of raping her but then saw three huge men standing behind her. Lol.

Oh wait, I just remembered another one. Supposedly the U.S. Constitutional Convention was in gridlock and risked falling apart. Suddenly a stranger appeared and got everything back on track. Supposely this stranger was one of the Nephites.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:06PM

You should have gone to the navajo reservation on a mission. There are 100's. I went to Albuquerque in 1998 and got sent to the reservation.

Spencer Kimball was big into the lamanites. He told three people in Pueblo tribes that they had been taught by on of the three nephites. He told the chief of the hopi tribe that they had had the 3 nephites living with them for 100s of years off and on.

Seriously. I could go on and on.

Date: July 20, 2014 11:11PM

Haha, Lamanites.

I remember a ward I was in during the early 80s, Kimball eral. I was about 10 years old. A couple in the ward had an adopted "Lamanite" boy. I think he was a priest.

Seriously, everybody called him a Lamanite!!!!

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:09PM

Similar about the Mormon TBMs that stopped to pick up a hitch hiker. They let him out later on, and then he was in the news later that day as killing another couple that picked him up. After being caught he said he was with a couple he was going to kill, but after he got in the car there were these three big men that also got in the car and sat on each side of him.

Date: July 20, 2014 11:12PM

I guess the Lard didn't care about the lives of the non-member couple.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:17PM

I think that was the "lesson" that they only protect TBMs.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:13PM

Yep, I heard about the hitch-hiker along with the young pioneer child who was promised her grave would never be disturbed--when a company of covered wagons ran over her grave, she was immediately resurrected in front if everyone!

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:15PM

I've heard about 20 different versions of this one. It usually involves sister missionaries though.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:16PM

Posted by: funeraltaters ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:32PM

So, how did mormons ever come to know the story in the op was true? The would-be rapist just contacted a GA and told him, " funny story, I was about to rape one of the members of your church when three large men showed up and I realized that it would be a bad idea." Then the GA says, "she must have been dressed provocatively to drive you to do that, give me her name so we can call her in for a court of love. We are so sorry she made you endure that!"

Posted by: Sky Seer ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:40PM

Just last week a Mormon guy told me that Bigfoot sightings prove the three Nephites exist. I didn't want to know his reasoning and escaped the conversation quickly.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 08:00PM

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 08:02PM

And just think...

That guy is driving on the same roads as me...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 08:07PM

He's confused. Bigfoot is Cain.

Posted by: Heart of Lorkhan ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:47PM

I knew someone who had a family legend about the 3 Nephites. I guess one of their ancestors fell and split their head open as a baby. After a day, the mom was afraid that the baby would die, so she prayed and a mysterious man came out of the woods and blessed the baby. The baby was miraculously healed. He then walked off and disappeared. Not sure how they new it was one of the 3 Nephites, but that's what they told me.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:50PM

Their names are to sacred to tell the world . . . Oh what the hell. Larry, Moe, and Curly.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 12:04AM

Gross. Back in my yang single adult days I was trying very hard to make the eqp fall in love with me so I spent many an evening in my early 20s singing hymns and discussing whether or not the three nephritis had met up with john the beloved yet. In my 20s!!!

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:16AM

see the rest of the story here:

http://www.salamandersociety.com/foyer/prophets/paulhdunn/

scroll down to Paul H Dunn, Three Nephites and the Constitutional Convention

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:18PM

An elderly member of our ward would tell the story of how he was once in the middle of nowhere and his car broke down. Three guys walked up, fixed it, and got him back on the road. I can't remember if his destination played a motivating factor or not.

That was the one and only three Nephite story I heard from a first-hand encounter. Haven't heard of any others in the last 45 years. They must be getting scarce.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:48PM

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:34PM

I heard Will Bagley tell about his encounter with the 3 Nephites.

He was traveling to southern Utah to give a talk about his book "Blood of the Prophets" when his car broke down. Three guys showed and helped him get it started.

"Where are you headed?" they asked him.

"I'm on my way to southern Utah to tell them the truth about what really happened at at Mountain Meadows!" he declared.

They beat him up.

Posted by: Pyewacket ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:07PM

Almost shot seltzer out my nose! Love it!!!

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:43PM

This one time, these two guys were driving to White Castle late at night and picked up a hitchhiker and asked him for directions.

It turns out that the hitchhiker didn't know where he was because he was "tripping balls" and then when they stopped for directions at a mini-mart the hitchhiker stole their car.

No wait, that's not a 3 nephite story, that's Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

Never mind. ;-)

Posted by: SB ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:13PM

I heard this one from the pulpit and also the eventual correction by the SP:

The 3 nephites appear in some type of hitchhiking scenario (I cant imagine why after 2000 years they cant put $600 to but a beater). They tell the person to get ready for "the end".

this story grows to the point that people in our stake were emptying their savings to go to costco...and worse, using tithing money to buy supplies.

The SP gave stern talk and said we say thing all the time for decades and no one listens, then someone shares a story like that and every runs to obey it! He emphasized that tithing was not to be used for any other reason than to be given to the church, in its entirety, as nothing would guarantee our well being like paying tithing.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:28PM

No good Three Nephite list is complete without a link to holyfetch.

http://www.holyfetch.com/Mormon_legends/3nephites_killer.html

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:39PM

He ordained me as an Elder when I left on my mission.

He told a story while we were sitting around that he once went to a sacrament meeting late where he was supposed to speak. He sat through most of the meeting and then realized as the last speaker was called up it wasn't him, he had gone to the wrong ward house. He jumped up and rushed out trying to make it to the correct meeting. The next week when he was visiting the Stake President, the SP told him that the members in one ward believed one of the Three Nephites had presided over a meeting and acted like he was going to give a message, but ran out of the chapel.

He made it kind of clear he thought most of the 3 nephite stories were horse manure.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:51PM

Paul H Dunn told the same story. Hmmm...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.