Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moira ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 05:01PM

I know things will never change but I can't help but vent about no thank you cards from Mormon newlyweds. I have sent several nice gifts to children of friends and also Mormon family members who have married in the last few months. The children of non-Mormon friends have sent sweet thank you cards but from the children of my Mormon family members...nada, zip, nothing. Can't blame it on Utah because the Mormons don't live in Utah.

Okay. Venting over.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 05:28PM

Another Mormon tick.
I've experienced that too.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 05:42PM

I so agree....it seems they are entitled to these things and no thank you is necessary. Do their parents not encourage it. It is appalling. I also have given to Mormons who married -when invited to a backyard rception- and I got NADA back. So now I think I won't attend anymore.It is customary to send a thank you if you are a person who has manners. Most Christians are people with manners.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 06:12PM

I don't know what the deal is, but it seems that mormons don't understand social conventions.

For example, when me and the ex were getting married we decided to have a plated dinner at the reception and as a result sent out RSVP cards. The older folks and non-mormons understood what that ment and promptly sent back the RSVP cards... we had mormon friends show up the day of, with guests. Luckily we had enough extra plates for them.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 10:29PM

We are on the east coast and fortunately every LDS newly wed couple we have given a gift to has send us a nice thank you note.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 10:39PM

I went to any mormon wedding--but when I got married LONG AGO--all the mormons I knew had taken to handing out little thank you notes at the receptions. I thought that was tacky and sent a TY note to everyone within the first month.

It really has become a lost art--if you ask me.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 11:31PM

Handing out thank-you notes AT the reception? Wow, what a sincere thank you note...when the couple hasn't even opened the gift yet! That's a new one to me.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 11:43PM

The lack of social graces in mormonism always embarrassed me. I decided at a very young age I would never be like that.

I've always sent invites to any party (no phone invites). I've always tried to do all of the special details. I've always made sure to give hostess gifts. I wanted it to be special when I have an event. I wanted others to know I appreciate their efforts. In my opinion the little graces make life just a little softer and gentler. It takes a little more effort, but I think it's worth it. I think it's even more important to make the effort in the internet age. E-mails are nice, but nothing out does a personal note on paper.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 11:56PM

I didn't realize that was wide-spread. A friend's kids always called me Auntie, but when I gave $100 as a wedding present, I didn't even get so much as a thank you. Yeah, just see if they ever get anything again. Is it too difficult to give just a simple, "Thank you?"

Posted by: mormonimposter ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 07:12AM

I understand completely. I went down south for a good friend's wedding, gave her $75 for her wedding gift, and never received a thank you card. Not even a verbal thank you! They're not mormons though, so I'm not sure what their issue was, but it left me pretty hurt.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:03AM

This bugs me too. I make it a point to give my nieces and nephews really nice gifts. (It helps that I have no kids of my own.) And I rarely, if ever, get a thank you - verbal or otherwise. I've gotten in the habit of sending everything with delivery confirmation - otherwise I'll have no idea if it ever got there in the first place.

I went to a Mardi Gras party Saturday night put on by a former supervisor. I sent them a note on Facebook yesterday thanking them. And I was wondering if that was tacky. Sounds like I'll be one of the few thanking them at all.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 01:01PM

Oh ya. I don't know why this happens. Maybe it's Mormon Culture, but I have had it happen with non Mormons also.

Now days, it seems that many people just don't care about etiquette and manners much.

I have had concerns about gifts even being received because I didn't get a Thank You acknowledgement. In that case, I make a point of asking of they got the gift!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.