Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:03AM

It really damaged by dating experiences, and I could never understand why they found that so shocking. Now I do. Unlike most RMs, I didn't think much of my mission, and I didn't gloat over it in every single conversation. To me, there were far more interesting things to talk or think about, then that time when I went knocking on peoples doors at 9am on a Saturday morning, and everyone turned out to be really under the influence of Satan for some reason.

Looking back, it caused me a lot of loneliness, and confusion, but I am out now, and I am enjoying dating non-shallow women who don't care that I used to be really good at wearing a white shirt and annoying people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:07AM

because I dressed fashionable, had a good job and earned more money than most of the guys, was very independent, free thinking, wouldn't worship the RMs. I dated very few mormons and was over the top TBM and, yes, I was nice looking.

In fact, the bishop always told me (I typed for him) that I was the one he couldn't figure out, that every week he'd look down in the congregation and think "Now why isn't SHE married" about me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 10:08AM by cl2.

Date: February 21, 2012 10:24AM

Wow, you sound like one hell of a good catch. I hate to say this though, I would probably have never dated you, because I would have assumed that I wasn't good enough for you. Of course that would have been the church talking, unless we weren't compatible in some other area. (Again this is just theoretical)

You're out now, and I hope you have found your bliss, whatever that may be.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:13AM

Date: February 21, 2012 10:25AM

I was traumatized, but I was also ashamed of mine. I felt like a failure, even though I had done nothing dishonorable.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:23AM

They are trying to make sense of the abuse that they subjected themselves to at the hands of the Lord of the flies mentality of the missionaries in leadership. What an experiment in abuse and mind control. Put young men full of testosterone in charge of new greenhorns and see how they come up with creative and sadistic ways of making each other comply to the white handbook of rules.

What a total disaster most missionaries experience!

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:30AM

two years is a long time and covers a lot of experiences.

all your references are back at that time period

for example, it probably takes a long time before someone mentions 'a city park' and you *dont* think 'Oh yeah, there was that time me and my companion were tracting in the city park'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.