Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 01:54PM

If you've ever been LDS you'll have heard about the Frog that is put in hot water jumping out immediately, but the frog put in tepid water, that frog stays put and as the water heats he boils to death not noticing the gradual change in temperature.

This is the LDS church at work.

You first learn all the vanilla stuff about a supreme being and the apostacy. That gradually builds to lessons on authority, structure of the true church, then into Tithing. You get baptised and slowly you learn about polygamy, Mountain Meadows...the temperature continues to rise, but if they do it slowly the foolish frog stays put until before they know it Polyandry is OK, as it Racism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:42PM

The Mormon pot has heated up just enough to boil the humanity out of my TBM relatives.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:55PM

The stupid thing about that analogy is that in reality if you put a frog in tepid water and slowly turn up the heat, the frog will jump out when it gets too hot.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:53PM

Dam it; even the frog story is a lie. Is there anything TSCC teaches is the truth?

Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 09:46AM

Haha! I had a medical professional tell me this story, comparinging it to stress.

Posted by: hullabaloo ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:56PM

Isnt' this true of other organisations as well? Masons. Scientologists. Heck, I've even heard this kind of thing about the local mega Church. Just beware of organization Period!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 12:58AM

One of these days I'm going to get a frog and start boiling it. I want to see if this analogy "holds water." Maybe Mythbusters would like to do it!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:25AM

For now there's a snopes article...

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/frogboil.asp

and a wikipedia one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 01:27AM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:05AM

Foundation of Religious Oligarichal Geriatrics?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:26AM

Frogs are extinct in my region. In the 1970s our creeks were choked with minnows and tadpoles and frogs. Now our creeks run clear with no amphibians or fish. Even the crawdads are gone. Signs are posted by streams claiming salmon habitat where salmon haven't been seen for fifty years.

The main culprit is the lawn. The suburban lawn is a flesh eating machine. In California, green lawns are flush with chemicals and bug killing compounds. These drain out through gutters to local creeks. The chemicals that favor grass kill everything else.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:16AM

The analogy usually starts with "If you put a frog in boiling water, he'll jump right out." I doubt that very much.

Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 09:47AM

Good point, Cupcakelicker

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:12PM

Like the idea that we need to drink continuously while exercising because our bodies can't tell quickly enough when we need water and we can become dehydrated. Bunk.

Or that we use only 10% of our brains. Bunk.

So many seminary, priesthood, sunday school lessons all based on sandy foundations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.