Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ray ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 07:34AM

This type of public criticism of the mormon church caused a change in the negro issue in 1978 and the polygamy issue in 1890.

Could the church temporarily suspend all proxy baptisms if the controversy about dead baptized holocaust victims become to much of a public embarressement to the church?

The church could claim a revelation that all proxy baptism must cease until the coming of christ back to the earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 08:04AM

Not likely. It would be too coincidental if there was some divine revelation received now, and suspending it due to pressure from offended groups would make them seem weak, and call into question the origins of many other practices. They couldn't risk the fallout.

Posted by: SoCalNeveermo ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 09:55AM

This controversy comes and goes like the wind. The church makes some feeble promises (That can't possibly be kept) and the whole thing goes to the back burner for a couple of years.

Posted by: Ishmael ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 10:47AM

Um. Highly unlikely.

Proxy baptism is the first product in the corporation's "Celestial" line of elitist goods.

People might pay ten percent one time to be considered "worthy" of their own endowments, but the church would go broke if the temple rites were like the Islamic obligation to go once to Mecca. Not enough customers.

They have huge land holdings and countless international businesses, but the thing that fills the pews is the temple game and the "blessings" they sell there.

People won't pay their ten percent to get in the ritual door if they can't perform the rites for the deceased.

The bottom line is the bottom line.

Posted by: cowardly lion ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 04:41AM

They'll only suspend babtism for dead, if the jewish embassment causes them to lose money or potencial converts. Are they being sued is there enough public outrage to affect babtizms? I doubt it.

Posted by: his_dudeness ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:51PM

Follow the WORD OF WISDOM: Dont screw with the Jews; they have more money and power than the LDS Church and US government. Piss them off enough and they will sue and get Temple Square and make it a Synagogue, with holocaust museum.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:59PM

Think it through. No names to take through the temple vicariously, no NEED for attendance at the temple. Never going to happen. The problem is, there is no way for the church to stop the wrong names from being submitted (action is left to general membership, and their flawed research abilities). Some folks you meet in family history classes are very strange...

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 09:03PM

If there is no need to go to the temple, there's no need to pay tithing, or be interviewed, or obey the wow, or wear garments, or indoctrinate your kids, clean the toilets.
That's just the short list.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 09:03PM

Yes, it could. Public humiliation will make tscc change any doctrine. It's a spineless corporation that can't operate in the open. If the outcry is big enough, it caves. It all depends on how much publicity can be generated. IMO

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:30AM

But I'd love it if the church forced members to prove that they are in a direct line of descent from any ancestors whose names have been submitted for temple ordinances.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:36AM

Without dead dunking, the temple work will dry up, and the temples would sit empty even more then they already do. There would be no reason to have a temple recommend, and the loss of a powerful wedge that the church uses to leverage tithing dollars out of people. So no, it is not going away.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 11:09AM

Hell no! They follow the directive in D&C 4--the work of god won't be stopped for any reason--they'll just lie or go underground with it, because, after all, the laws of god supersede the laws of man. Plus, they're convinced that they're doing something vital for people, that it's what god wants. How can they NOT?? I wish more people would sue the church over it, though. At the very least, the church should make an attempt to get family permission before dead dunking someone.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:09PM

No.

If they did then there would be no proxy endowments.
That means after you went through for your own endowment you'd never need to go to the temple again except for a sealing.
That means no TR interviews.
That means a HUGE dip in tithing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 12:10PM by baura.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:14PM

No. Just like any other religion -- they won't abandon their traditions, rituals, etc. because some other religion objects. That would be absurd if any religion could tell some other religion how to worship and what to believe, etc.
Religion is all ready about who is right and who is wrong, and some of them don't mind telling others they are wrong!
I doubt that kind of nonsense will ever stop though.
It's all about "my god is better than your god" and I am doing it right and you are not. Amazing how that has never changed. Even in this world of great so called enlightenment, people are still interfering in other peoples RIGHTS to their beliefs, traditions, etc.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:50PM

Once again, you're adding nothing to this discussion - just more stinkbombs.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 01:54AM

Maybe this is why you get along with mormon family members. You pounded the drum so long that you had a right to your beliefs that they finally gave in and shut up. Given that you constantly tell people here that, I have to assume you did the same with your family. Once you get people to shut up about their beliefs, it makes it easier to tolerate their beliefs, eh?

Posted by: yin ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:39PM

I think now more than ever the leaders of the church are going to stick their heels in and refuse to back down on any of their current doctrines or practices. This is the information generation. We will know if they discontinue proxy baptisms because of all the bad press.

They can't sneak anything past us anymore, not with the Internet.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:48PM

I think it unlikely because so much Temple revenue comes from dead dunking. They can't afford to discontinue it. Dumping polygamy gave them the advantage of being a state. Stopping keeping black men from the priesthood was supposed to bring in more black converts, hence more tithes. It is always about money, and they won't "reveal" anything that might cause a drop in revenue.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 01:09AM

I hope so, but I doubt it. Very few TBMs and church leaders see how strange and disrespectful this practice is. I've even heard of people who use obituaries in newspapers of local non-Mormon residents to do this. TBMs and the church leaders are too brainwashed to change this policy IMO. I wish I were proved wrong though.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 02:12AM

If TSCC doesn't get a BIG DOSE of its own medicine, nothing will change. They will continue to fake apologize and continue doing exactly what they please like they have since 1830.
As far as the polygamy of 1890 goes, they still have it (everyone after death) and many before. Don't be fooled.
And they are still very prejudice against black people. All they did with that in 1978 was to pay it lip service. The allow black men to hold the loathsome priesthood but still consider blacks inferior to their precious "white and delightsomeness." GAG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 02:12AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 01:04PM

When the Muslims find out the Mormons are baptizing their families into Mormonism, the extremists may start blowing up temples. Then the church will stop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.