Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: happilynotmormon ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 10:15PM

My husband and I got our official letters from the mormon church today saying that our names have been removed from church records, however neither of our letters said anything about our children. Does anyone know if this automatically means our children have had their names removed too? One of our children has already been baptized, and all of them are under 18. I would have called, but of course I picked up the mail after 5pm on a Friday evening, so now I need to wait for Monday... Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience lately?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:46PM

I wouldn't count on it. All of my over-18 kids signed a resignation letter along with me, but two of them weren't removed because they were in college and their official church address was their college address. Since their resignation had to go to their "home" stake president (college), and not to their (real home) stake president, they weren't removed.

The church will always find a way through those loopholes. I'd call Greg Dodge if I were you to see what your children's status is. Sorry, don't have the number. Anyone?

Date: February 18, 2012 11:54AM

Notanymore, we read the book Maybe Yes, Maybe No: A Guide for Young Skeptics, first (that was a great book on questioning things that can be applied to religion). We then talked about questioning things as we read a story a day from In the Beginning, Creation Stories from Around the World (we're still reading this, and my kids love it). I think this helped my kids see that there is more than one perspective on religion, something I had not done a good job of teaching them before. We also read a children's book from the library on world religions throughout history (I don't remember which one we read at the moment, but we went over one religion a day like Buddhism, Sikhism, Judaism, etc). It's been interesting to talk with them now, and ask for their opinions on religion, my 7 and 9 year olds are most leaning towards Agnostic beliefs, although they find Buddhism interesting too. I really hope things work out well for you and your family.

Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:52PM

DH & I read where you wrote about studying world religions as a family. Do you have any books that you used that you would recommend. We are in a very similar situation. We are thinking about resigning from the church. We have been discussing what we will teach our children (ages 9,7,4) after leaving and I just love this idea. I think that it would be a great place to start as a family.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 09:39AM

Studying world religions is a great start but nothing is better than being in a setting where the religion is in practice - in action - SO I vote for attending different types of churches. Your kids will find a fit more quickly than you perhaps. Go several times and look at the youth programs - many have wkly youth meetings, many have choirs, camping, mission trips for the kids, etc. All the best as you free yourself from the Mormon fraud.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:28AM

From what I've read, they apparently sometimes include the kids and other times they don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 08:41AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:11AM

For your child that was baptised they will need to separately request that their membership be removed.

For the others you don't.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:19AM

One of my daughters, who was still living at home with me, and over 18 (Sr. in high school), signed my resignation letter and her name was removed.

Perhaps, like so many other things in the church, it depends on who handles the request. For a church that boasts it's the same no matter where you go, there seems to be no set standard for anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 11:19AM by DebbiePA.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:24AM

The important part is that she signed your letter. In this way she requested her name to also be removed.

You are right though, it is up to the bishop and stake president to process the removals so there will be inconsistency.

Date: February 20, 2012 12:10PM

I just thought I'd post an update... it seems that the mormon church did remove my husband, myself, and our two younger unbaptized children, but not our oldest. The person I talked to thinks it was an oversight by the bishop not realizing that he needed to fill out a separate form for her since she has been baptized. They are going to call the bishop and I should get a letter in the mail (hopefully soon) saying that my oldest dd has been removed from membership records as well. It will be so nice when this whole thing is behind us. For now, I'm really enjoying my coffee as I type this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.