Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:54PM

I was vacuuming the living room, when I got a very strong impression that there was someone standing behind me. I ignored it at first, but then the feeling grew stronger until all the hair stood up on the back of my neck. I whirled around, and there was no one there. However, there was a dark jacket over a chair that I had picked up off the floor and put there earlier.

I didn't bawl, and I returned to vacuuming.

The end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:05PM

The last time I mowed the lawn, I had the distinct impression that someone was following behind me. I felt they were going to hit me in the back of the head with a hammer or strangle me.

I quickly turned around, nobody was there.

This has happened to me many times before.

That is all.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 05:32PM

I think it's the sound of the mower that drowns everything else out and lets your mind fill in the empty space with patterns it finds in white noise. It's funny how it's always paranoid thoughts like the killer with the big hammer. It's never any naked women.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 09:20PM

Me too. I think the lawn mower prevents your senses from doing their job of sensing impending danger. So, your mind freaks you out by imagining an attack since its not getting any input to tell it otherwise. Default position is attack.

I really have felt that way mowing the lawn.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:07PM

I often see my cat come around the corner and come towards me. I'll look down to greet her and I'll find that she's not even the room. Darn those eye floaters. They do that to me a lot.

Posted by: reasonabledoubt ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 05:40PM

Darn those ancient defense mechanisms we still carry around in our psyches!

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 05:50PM

I heard a good explanation for this on one of my ghost reality shows. It's EMF's, some sort of stray electrical impulse. I used to have ghostly experiences in my garage all the time. Then I looked around at all the power tools, freezer, washer and dryer, and realized it wasn't ghosts, it was EMF's.

I still believe in ghosts and have had non-EMF related experiences.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 05:51PM

Hey, it would have worked with goat herders.

He needs a technology upgrade. Has anyone told him about laser beams or nanotech?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 06:22PM

Here's a thought. All our senses combine to create a mental picture or our physical space. That's why we can easily touch other parts of our body with our eyes closed, or in the dark.

But that mental image isn't always accurate. It can be smaller or larger than our actual physical space. It can be misshapen. Because it's a big database of sensory input. Bad sensors, bad connections? Bad picture. And (here's the freaky thing) it can sometimes become misaligned to reality. The mental image can be offset in any direction. Keep bumping into things? It could be because your body isn't really where the mental image says it is. So the presence some people feel could be the mental and physical parts out of synch. The "other" presence could be the mental image trying to make sense of things. That presence could be the actual body following the mental image around.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 09:14PM

That makes sense. I can close my eyes and touch the end of my nose, but not the end of my schnizzle in certain states.

"That presence could be the actual body following the mental image around."

You've got one wild imagination. I could have never come up with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 09:17PM by thingsithink.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 06:45PM

I heard a radio program years ago with Art Bell where a guy said it is the shadow people. You know, when you are walking down an unfamiliar road, and you see something move out of the corner of your eye, and you turn and look quickly, and there is nothing there. This guy claimed it was a group of entities called 'shadow people'. He claimed that when you see them out of the corner of your eye, they are really trying to communicate with us.

The funniest part of that show was the fact that he had spent several years trying to make contact with these 'shadow people'. What a waste of time.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 09:57AM

I know exactly what he's talking about. I've seen them too, but it was likely a combo of 3 days no sleep and *ahem* other things as well.

I'm still fairly open to the idea of ghosts, but the electrical impulses sounds like a good explanation. I get some very strange sensations that could be EMFs when alone.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 06:57PM

With a lawn mower, there is the possibility of infrasound, which is very low frequency and can cause things like nausea and can even give the sense that we're not alone.

I remember watching a ghost hunting sort of show where there was a ceiling fan which was causing infrasound. People felt really creeped out in the room until they turned it off. Then the feeling was gone.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 07:02PM

I'm sure it was Satan. You know, he followed me once. My kooky seminary teacher, Sister Foote, trembled and prayed with all her might until he went away. Where is that weird woman when she's needed?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 07:03PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 08:10PM

But when I listened closely I heard nothing. Turns out my grandson was in his room downstairs playing and what I thought was outside was in his room and being quietly said. :)

Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:07PM

Well if it wasn't for this ancient defense mechanism I carry around maybe my ancestors wouldn't have survived long enough to reproduce (they would have been clubbed to death from behind) and I wouldn't exist.

As I watch my mother mentally decline and deal with overwhelming anxiety and paranoia I wonder if her input filter/mechanism is deteriorating causing her to freak out even though there is nothing there.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 02:30AM

I have the same issues. I often freak myself out, thinking pitch goes up...but then I will hear my house crack. My TV frequency changes. I get chills. I can't put my finger on it. I don't want to spend too much time getting enthralled in it, on the subject- because I think I will go backwards. I'm not kidding I spent some major money on those psychic readings. Life readings--from a lady that goes into a trance. She gave me a lot of interesting information but it's hard for me to believe in the things she was telling me.

I feel I need to let life happen naturally and if I have an actual spiritual experience. You know--clear as day, I Will let you guys know about it. I still like to hear people's stories and be open minded. I don't doubt your stories people. Super interesting cause I can relate and I know I want to hope and think there is something after this life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.