Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:38AM

I grew up in AZ and loved the Phoenix Suns when Ainge played for them. I even graduated High School the same year as one of his sons (a different school). I wonder if Danny Ainge is a true TBM, Jack Mormon, or Closet doubter. For one thing he did not go on a mission, and was a fighter, among other things in the NBA. Also a weird story (I dont know how true) he used to play golf with Charles Barkley and I heard that who ever lost on a particular hole would have to take his pants or shirt off, I was than told that he probably didnt wear his garments during his golf outings with Charles Barkley. But of course it seemed that Ainge never had any problems interacting with people like Barkley, or any other African American or other Basketball players with "questionable morals." Of course he also ended up becoming a bishop. So I always thought Danny Ainge was an interesting Mormon, and wonder what it was like for him to always be around those guys, and have to reconcile his faith in that way. If anyone has any stories or can answer as to what kind of a Mormon Danny Ainge really is please post, thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:40AM

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 07:14PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IybKqL62mWY

this is made even more *funny*, at least for me, considering the fact that when delivering me to the MTC, my stupid ass MORmON male parent was so worked up into such a frantic frenzy that he drove 25 MPH over through Orem school zone. as if the fucking asshole MORmONS at the MTC would turn me away for 2 years of free missionary service I was about to give because I was a few minutes late.

MORmONS!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:16PM

I grew up down the street from him. He came from a really great family. His mom was a really wonderful woman and his dad was the awesome too. His brothers were talented and very kind. My sister was close with Danny's sister and she's a friend to this day.

When growing up, it was clear that Danny was incredibly talented, but I didn't find him to be likable, or kind, personally. He likely has grown up a lot since then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 12:26PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:42PM

I remember when he played on the Celtics....he was a thug...akin to the enforcer on a hockey team. He could shoot but his goal was to get the other team's best player to foul out....

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:29PM

a rich one

Posted by: satanslittlehelper ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:32PM

..dirtiest player in the NBA.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 06:52PM

Personally I reject the idea that Ainge was a "thug" or a "dirty" player. I don't know what kind of Mormon he is but as a basketball player he was talented, aggressive and relentless in the pursuit of winning...perhaps the ultimate reason he was so good. He did tend to whine to referees about calls they made but charges of "dirty" and "thug" were usually made by supporters of the opposing team. He was good enough to play on one of the really great Celti c teams of all time and was certainly not big enough or muscular enough to be likened to an enforcer. JMV.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 07:06PM

>"But of course it seemed that Ainge never had any problems >interacting with people like Barkley, or any other African >American or other Basketball players with "questionable >morals."

yah.... as long as you dont count that episode where Danny and Tree Rollins tried to beat the shit out of each other on the basket ball court.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 12:49AM

Weell, he works on Sunday.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 01:37AM

but I've always thought it's a little strange how people on this board often speculate about whether such-and-such famous Mormon or GA really believes, or is a closet doubter, or wears garments, or whatever.

What is that? Is it residual Mormonthink, caring whether someone else is "sinning"? Is it some leftover fascination with prominent members? Or is it a new, more uniquely ex-Mormon interest in the mind of a Mormon?

I'm not excluding myself, either, seeing as how just yesterday I couldn't stop myself from speculating about whether Elizabeth Smart is pregnant.

It is weird, though. Seriously, who gives a shit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 06:07AM by munchybotaz.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.