Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:50PM

I was just thinking about how much I respect the way Eric has handled this site. The fund raising effort really crystallized some things in my mind.

In regards to organizational finances (among other things) I do not trust TSCC, I trust Eric completely. Why?

First, TSCC hides its finances, Eric gives us some numbers to look at. That said, the financial numbers are not enough for me to Trust Eric. If TSCC gave out financial numbers, I wouldn't trust those numbers to be accurate or true. Just giving out numbers isn't enough for me to trust those numbers.

What makes me absolutely certain that Eric is up front and honest with us is the way he has asked for money.

TSCC is always asking for more money even from those that can not afford to give. When so much effort is made at collecting money, I think "greed" especially when I am not told how that money is spent.

Eric was very reluctant to ask for money, running this site for years without asking for money at all. It is clear that collecting money, aka "greed" is not the motive here. It is clear that the request for money was based on a genuine need.

Eric has let us know about how much was raised and how that money will be spent (though I still haven't seen that he has reimbursed himself, which I hope he has). That helped with Eric's credibility, but you know, people can and do lie about money.

The real clincher are statements like that on the exmormon.org home page in the fund raising section: "We are not in need of funds at this time so wait until 2013 or so. Thanks so much!!"

Can anyone imagine TSCC Saying "We have enough money for now, don't donate until next year"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 12:53PM by MJ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:01PM

"The real clincher are statements like that on the exmormon.org home page in the fund raising section: "We are not in need of funds at this time so wait until 2013 or so. Thanks so much!!""

But how am I gonna get my blessings if I can't donate for an entire year???? And now I can't find my keys. Damn you to hell Eric K!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:56PM

I am going to tease Eric with that :). I can use that for a long time.

He really really really does NOT want to have to ask for money. If there was a way we could pay for it ourselves we would. But we can't keep crashing every other day and then pay WN to fix us. So, they say this will fix us and it better!

I have worked for Eric for.... I think 13 years now? He is the opposite of the men I knew in LDSInc. He does not want control/power/recognition. No title unless he has to, he hates it when I call him boss. Many people have no idea he started the site. Often when I tell someone I have to ask Eric they ask me who he is. And that is the way he likes it. The site is not about him, about me or any of the other admins. It is about the people that come here for help. Hey, he didn't want to be the President of the first foundation and is not interested in being any kind of officer for the second. Any advertising we have done has been to help the Foundation. People seem to find us when they need us.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 08:49PM

He's earned a lot of respect over time by conducting himself as you describe.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:14PM

LOL!!

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:30PM

It is a beautiful thing and I hope it refutes the myth that fundraising or selling value on a site is somehow fundamentally bad, even when properly conducted and disclosed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:11PM

I also like the fact that board members felt comfortable sending in small donations. I saw that some folks sent in five dollars or eight dollars, and I think that's terrific. Everyone can participate at a level which makes them feel comfortable.

Years ago I belonged to a board which held periodic raffles to benefit a certain below-the-radar charity. The prizes were always donated items of not huge value. I wanted to participate but I was just getting my second career off the ground, and the $25 raffle ticket was beyond what I could do at the time. I couldn't understand why they couldn't have $5 tickets. Then someone who could afford $25 could buy five tickets, and the rest of us could still participate.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:15PM

Things are really hard for a lot of people right now. $5 from the heart is of HUGE value.

Posted by: pamarnold ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 04:16PM

I think I might have to sneak in a donation because when I mentioned it to my TBM he was not at all happy. He must feel like he would be contributing to my spiritual demise. ? If he can spend hundreds of $ to a cult, I can spend a little for my emotional well being. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.