Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 05:30AM

I was reading up on Fanny Alger this evening.

I came across some interesting reading for mormonthink.com that I'll quote here so as to get it exactly correct:

"Whether Joseph's marriage to Fanny Alger occurred in 1833 or 1835, it was illegal BOTH under the laws of the land AND under any theory of divine authority. Plural marriages are rooted in the notion of "sealing" for both time and eternity."

The "sealing" power was not restored under LDS belief until April 1836 when Elijah appeared to Joseph and conferred the sealing keys upon him. There is no dispute at all among Latter-day Saints that prior to that time, the sealing power had not been on the earth since the time the Lord had removed it during the Great Apostasy. Thus, Joseph's "marriage" to Fanny Alger could NOT have been performed by anyone with the "sealing power" (unless it was done by Elijah himself, and no one that we are aware of has ever suggested that)."

"No one on earth had authority either under the laws of man OR under the laws of God as understood and taught by the LDS Church to "marry" Joseph and Fanny. As a result, his marriage to her was a nullity from the beginning both in time and eternity, and any sexual relationship he may have had with her (and to which Oliver attested) can ONLY be fairly described as adulterous."

Joseph's marriage to Fanny is documented on the LDS website, FamilySearch.org.

Could it be any clearer that the Law of Plural Marriage is totally bogus? You can't have an ordinance being practiced before it has been restored! Unflipping believable! Does anyone buy the notion that Elijah married Joseph and Fanny?
I think not.

You can only draw one conclusion from this information: There is simply no way the Law of Plural Marriage came from God.

None.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 12:23PM

Exactly. Joseph had a habit of engaging in the activity until he got caught, then coming up with a self-serving revelation/ get out of jail free card.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 01:21PM

The Book of Commandments was just a book containing Joseph's "revelations". It could have been created by anyone who was trying desperately to stay in power of a group of followers by making up the rules as he went.
Rule #1, Everyone listens to me because I speak for god.

Rule #2, Let's make me in charge of everyones contributions so I can buy a house and not have to work....cuz I have to focus on this important stuff.

Rule #3, I'm getting a little lonely some nights so I think I should be able to talk alone with the females if I need to.

Rule #4, Females don't have to tell anyone and I don't have to tell any of you followers if we are being intimate because god is telling me that it is ok.....um, maybe this rule is so top secret that I'm not even required to put it in the rule book.

Addemdum to Rule #4, It's also ok for me to be naked with the females......and that can also include the ones that might have been tricked into an unhappy marriage because they deserve to be naked with a guy like me .....because I talk to god all the time and he said its ok.....at least for now.....but it's still a secret.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 02:07PM

Joseph was kinda getting the cart before the horse there wasn't he?

Or getting the milk before getting permission to purchase the cow?

Being given a revelation, and then being commanded to follow it is probably the correct sequence of events in most logical persons minds.

Doing the deed with another person, and then saying god commanded it, and then years later getting the actual "revelation" is in the very least a sin as well as a violation of trust and human decency.

She was a minor girl trying to deal with a situation of having a decent/or indecent relationship with a married man who had money fame and power and approached her with the illusion of wisdom of age and experience.

It is one of the things that made me start researching and come to the conclusion that he was a sociopathic personality taking everything he could get for himself. He believed he was speaking for god. How delusionary is that?

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 02:39PM

The Articles of Faith - #12:

We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

Unless we have a better idea, like starting an illegal bank in Kirtland, polygamy, or anything else that makes us richer, more powerful, or have more pleasure.

Bigamy was illegal from the get go in the US:

"Sec 121. Bigamy consists in the having of two wives or two husbands at one and the same time, knowing that the former husband or wife is still alive. If any person or persons within this State, being married, or who shall hereafter marry, do at any time marry any person or persons, the former husband or wife being alive, the person so offending shall, on conviction thereof, be punished by a fine, not exceeding one thousand dollars, and imprisoned in the penitentiary, not exceeding two years. It shall not be necessary to prove either of the said marriages by the register or certificate thereof, or other record evidence; but the same may be proved by such evidence as is admissible to prove a marriage in other cases, and when such second marriage shall have taken place without this state, cohabitation in this state after such second marriage shall be deemed the commission of the crime of bigamy, and the trial in such case may take place in the county where such cohabitation shall have occurred." Revised Laws of Illinois, 1833, p.198-99

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.