Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 04:52PM

I just finished watching a documentary about polygamy and in the segment about the Short Creek Raid the women were wearing normal looking 1950s era clothing with contemporary hair styles. When did the smock dress hijab thing with the Evita Peron hairdo start? I didn't even see this in pictures from the 1980s.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:06PM

I think it has to do with being stuck in a time warp. It's the same thing with the Amish.

They stay in the mode they were in when their organization was in it's heyday. The LDS church was in it's heyday in the 50s, IMO. That's when the fashion clock stopped.

The values and outfits seem to reflect the values of the past. Religion looks to the past for values and guidance, not the future. The religions that have "modesty standards" stay very traditional.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:07PM

There are literally 100s of plyg groups. Each one is usually led by a prophet who makes the rules about dress and every other aspect of the lives of his followers. Whenever a leader dies or loses power, the next guy usually changes the rules based on what he calls "revelation."

Some groups look modern in their dress and hair styles. Others don't.

I went to Short Creek near the time of the biggest raid. The women did look more normal but they would not look fashionable or up to date if they went to a big town. They wore no makeup and their clothes were rather outdated and drab. And some of them did wear dresses similar to Warren Jeff's women. The praire style has been popular with many plyg women because they think they look feminine and in tune with early mormon styles.

My family used to harbor polygamists on our farm and in our home when I was a kid. Some of the women cut their hair. Others didn't. Some of them wore slacks for casual wear and some only wore those pioneer dresses. A few used lipstick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 06:08PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 04:30PM

My mother divorced my father when I was 4. While they were married he didn't allow **get that? - ALLOW** her to wear bright colors. All the pics of that era were of her wearing brown, navy blue, grey or black.

After they divorced she still wore those drab colors for a few years because it had turned into a comfort thing I think. That woman was severly emotionally abused.

Years later I (being the good gay that I am) had her in fun, bright clothes with jewelry and some bad high heel shoes. I even did her hair every sunday for church. What a princess I was!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 04:44PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:31PM

That is so sweet. I'll bet she felt a lot better wearing color. I was really sick for a couple of years. I noticed that every thing I bought during that time was a bright color. It made me feel better. She's lucky to have a son who cares so much about her.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:07PM

Your mother is very lucky to have such a fabulous son.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:07PM

He started by outlawing "red" and went on to outlaw prints and it evolved from there.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 04:53PM

Rebeckah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He started by outlawing "red" and went on to
> outlaw prints and it evolved from there.

Yes. He also set the hair style to one he liked. Now that he is issuing some very strange edicts from jail I wonder how many will stick with him.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:17PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Yes. He also set the hair style to one he liked.
> Now that he is issuing some very strange edicts
> from jail I wonder how many will stick with him.

I recall reading or seeing on a show that it was one polyg girl that started doing the funky hair. She didn't catch flack for it, so some of the other women started doing it. It seemed to be allowed, so now everybody's doing it. That's their only sense of "fashion" and individuality, it seems.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 06:15PM

Warren Jeffs didn't want women to use their bodies to lure men, so he had then all dress alike, and do their hair alike. I am surprised he could remember what all his wives were called.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:32PM

He probably called them all honey. No need to remember their name.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:08PM

or sweetheart.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 09:59PM

Naomi seems to be the only one who was a real person to him -- they had one of those weird codependant relationships. Too bad she hasn't been charged and sent to prison herself.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:21PM

What's the point of being a polygamist, if all your wives look blah. Seriously, these controlling nut jobs are idiots who shoot themselves in the foot with their a**hatery.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.