Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brian M ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 01:28AM

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good book on attachment theory?

I was just noticing that a lot of my relationships with people and institutions are definitely not secure attachments. I'm not entirely sure what most of my attachments are, but my uneducated guess is that a lot of them are the anxious avoidant type.

For example:
My active LDS brother: I haven't really talked to him since I resigned.
My parents: It feels unnatural to express gratitude or affection for them. I find it easiest to remember disappointments and apply blame to their character.
My department head professor: I have avoided letting him get to know me, but I have formed stronger relationships with other professors.

I feel like I could benefit from learning how to recognize more secure attachments in my life and focusing more on those. I think my mind is distorting all relationships to be potentially dangerous because of a few disappointing ones( with religious leaders, conceptions of god).

Has anybody else explored this train of thought? What advice would you give on how to become more deliberate and aware of attachment?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 02:19AM

Do a search on Amazon.com. Apparently John Bowlby has written extensively on this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.