Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xophor ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 05:41PM

...what exactly is the rationale for that? Surely the question has been raised before, bringing on some sort of 'official' response from the morg. It can't be assumed that their kids are more spiritual than others...we've all seen bishops and SPs whose kids were the worst in the bunch. Is it just another boys' club perk where the Prez's kid can get the stint over with a year earlier and get on with life? Can their daughters serve before age 21?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mleblanc138 ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 05:55PM

I don't know about kids of higher ups, but I heard that at one point, the Church had such difficulties getting missionary visas for Brazil, that they let male Brazilians serve at age 18.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 06:06PM

I knew a girl who served a mission at age 17, yes 17, why? Because she was living in a foreign country with her parents as her dad had been called to serve a Mission President in that area of the world. She was so miserable there and was ready to return to SLC by herself, but letting her stay with the sister missionaries was the solution to keep her with the parents and she was happy, so she was extended an official call to serve.

Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 09:04PM

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=16768608&itype=storyID

The linked article from August covers an official change in church policy allowing 18 year olds to serve missions for those living in certain foreign countries (Britain, Spain, Italy etc) and (per the article) it's due to social/political reasons in those countries relating to university or military service. It also mentions those from most South American countries already do so and briefly mentions the MP offspring and some sister missionaries going before 21 such as

From the article:
"There are always exceptions, however, such as the offspring of Mormon mission presidents."

But why? Who knows? Just the usual focus on status relating to supposed worthiness in TSCC culture?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 09:10PM by Scott.T.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 11:51PM

I could be wrong but in my mission we heard that the MPs sons and daughters were allowed to go on a mission early because they had a better idea of what a mission was all about.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 11:59PM

All of the so called rules can be broken. It just depends on who you are related to, how much status they have, and what you want. I have seen it happen over and over.

My parents had a lot of pull in the area they lived in. They called in several favors. If you don't think this isn't going on think again.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 12:06AM

i saw some missionaries out shopping this weekend and it blew my mind how young they are (or i'm just getting old)

i have an 18 yo cousin that i'm around quite a bit and i can't imagine...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.