Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 12:02PM

I know from living in UT for a number of years that TBM kids (toddlers in particular) tend to be ill a lot. While my nevermo toddlers who spent their time mostly playing by themselves were almost never ill, their TBM cousins, living in the same town were ALWAYS, ALWAYS sick and to me, it was no wonder. They spent a good chunk of their time in the presence of myriads of other toddlers-even on Sundays at church. Once while on a routine visit to our pediatrician I overheard the conversation between a drug rep and another professional saying something about how kids in UT were always ill and over-medicated. Flash forward to the present; TBM neices posting that her small kids are ill (again) and her little 2 year old will be having her tonsils out (tubes in as well.) I was absolutely shocked at the number of young mothers who chimed in and boasted how one (or more) of their kids had recently had tonsils removed and/or tubes put in yada yada.

Anyone with a medical background know how common this is? I never hear of kids in my state having this done now. I mean, I'm sure it is done but I'm guessing not near as much as in Kiddie City, aka Utah.

Am I wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: serena ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 01:06PM

It used to be commonplace - when I was a kid, it was not a rare occurrence. But it sure is now.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 01:13PM

Although tonsillectomy is being performed less frequently than in the 1950s, it remains one of the most common surgical procedures in children in the United States.
BUT
the article goes on to say:
The effectiveness of the tonsillectomy has been questioned in a 2009 systematic review of 7765 papers, published in the journal Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery. The review found that it was most likely not effective all the time, but rather was modestly effective, and that "not a single paper reported that tonsillectomy is invariably effective in eliminating sore throats."[5] Another systematic review of cases involving children found that there was only a short-term benefit: "A child who meets these strict criteria will probably suffer from 6 throat infections in the next two years. A child who has surgery now will probably suffer from 3 throat infections. In two years there will probably be no difference."[6]

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 03:30PM

just sayin!

Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 04:28PM

My pediatrician wanted to take my tonsils out when I was young, and my mother refused to let him do it.

My mother had the common sense to realize that even having my tonsils taken out, I was still going to end up with a sore throat, and no amount of surgery is going to fix that.

I'm not sure what she told my doctor, but what I do remember is he suggesting it, and my mother flat out refusing.

Looking back on it, I'm glad that is the stand my mother chose to have. Many of my friends have told me I was lucky I never had to.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 04:33PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 04:41PM

So I had to get my tonsils out when I was 7. The two things I remember about the surgery was the crazy-ass dream I had while I was under and then freaking out when I started throwing up blood (it was normal) after. I didn't get anymore serious ear infections till HS when I joined the swim team.
Tonsilectomies don't seem to be very common anymore.

On an amusing note, the surgeon removed my adenoids at the same time, but the little bastards grew back. The doc said it's like a 1 in 100,000 chance, lol.

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 04:46PM

I had mine out when I was 4, but only because they got badly infected and were swelling. It was pretty bad.

Although, I do remember faking sick a lot so I could watch football at home instead of go to church. One week, back when there were FIVE WARDS in our building, we had the 3:30-6:30 block (yes, 3:30-6:30, worst year of my life) and I faked sick so I could stay home to watch the Super Bowl. HA!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:42PM

I had my tonsiles out when I was 18. I was sick with a fever for a couple months and felt like I had the flu. Took out the tonsils and I felt great.

I never get just a soar throat....maybe sore from coughing due to a cold or flu, but not just a sore, raw throat.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.