Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 06:29AM

I recently (see a previous post) attended our daughter's wedding in Boulder. Fair number of men with beards including the minister. In the Denver airport - a fair number of beards. Next, went to North Carolina and the number was fewer. In the Boston airport, the number was greater. Where I live on the CT coast, about half the lawyers in court now are bearded. But for mormons...not yet common.

Yesterday, I gave a nice lighthouse tie to a foster child living with my LDS son in UT. He was glad to have a non-standard tie! Just as mos in BY's day and for decades thereafter had beards, the total conformity of mormons today is scary. No bright shirts, no powerful ties, no beards, only conformity. I hate conformity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 06:44AM

this is the unasked question: can active LDS men have a soul patch?

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 12:33PM

somnambulist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this is the unasked question: can active LDS men
> have a soul patch?

Soul patch=chin pubes

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 02:12PM

gross

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 07:41AM

ETB taught that beards and long hair are the mark of godless commie hippies.

And following the profit = copying his facial hair. As long as he's clean-shaven, so are TBMs. This was actually taught when I was a kid.

Date: July 07, 2014 08:56AM

Gee, so Christ was a godless commie hippy! Ditto for John the Baptist. Yep, follow the prophet.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 11:38AM

there used to be. I'm rather amazed. Yes, Mormon men with garments showing through their shirts. Some with BIG bushy beards. I think there are more beards in Cache Valley right now than I've ever seen in Utah and I'm 57.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 12:20PM

Take a look at this photo of the LDS Presidents and BINGO... Here comes David O MacKay the first one that is clean shaven! I've seen photos and statues of Brigham Young both with and without facial hair.

https://www.lds.org/churchhistory/presidents/leaders.jsp

I saw this happen:

"David O. McKay presented a dramatic contrast to his predecessors: an athletic, movie-star-handsome, clean-shaven figure who often wore a white double-breasted suit; contrasted to the dark-suited, bearded polygamists (or, in the case of George Albert Smith, son of a polygamist) who preceded him as Church President ever since Joseph Smith. In an age prior to professional image-makers, he instinctively grasped the importance of appearance, and coupled it to the substance of a professional educator to become an icon of Mormonism whose persona did much to change the negative image of the Church in much of the world...

http://mormonstories.org/mormon-stories-podcast-002-gregory-prince-and-david-o-mckay-and-the-rise-of-modern-mormonism/

I joined the LDS Church in 1961 with my little family in Portland, OR. Missionaries wore hats, dark suits, conservative ties, polished shoes, white shirts and presented a professional image. One actually sat on his hat one time at our little tiny house.
They also drove their own cars, sometimes rather odd.
My husband served in the late 50's in New England and their are was a Henry J.with open floor boards that didn't always run.

I know I see a lot of facial hair on men now days especially in certain work fields: construction, mechanics, repairmen, fishermen,firemen, (outdoors workers), in particular.Other than that, not so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 12:20PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 12:23PM

I started growing my mustache the morning I left Ricks in May, 1967. I do NOT like this current fad of having a 5 days growth thing goin' on....either grow a beard or get thee to a fucking razor.

Ron Burr

Posted by: O'Brien ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 02:04PM

Agreed, grow a 'tash/beard/full set or invest in a load of razor blades (mind you, the price of decent blades here cost a bloody fortune and with my skin condition I cant use an electric as they rip my face apart). A couple of days growth that never goes anywhere always looks scruffy. Mind you, I had that drummed into me in the RN, shave or ask permission to grow a full set.

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 11:29PM

Nothing wrong with a few days worth of stubble. Especially given recent studies that have concluded that women find men with heavy stubble more attractive. It's worked for me, although I recently grew out the full beard.

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 12:06AM

i'm right there with you - I think it's odd how strongly these (presumably) straight guys are reacting to other mens' facial hair

I'm a pretty typical guy in that I don't really care how I (or other dudes!) look but there's a certain type of girl that does care - so basically as long as nubile 20 something girls keep rewarding this look I'm sticking with it - and I bet most hetero guys that appear to be fashion "sheep" are actually just playing different angles of the same game

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 02:38PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I started growing my mustache the morning I left
> Ricks in May, 1967. I do NOT like this current fad
> of having a 5 days growth thing goin' on....either
> grow a beard or get thee to a fucking razor.
>
> Ron Burr

Agree! It is such a prissy affectation. It makes me roll my eyes and makes me think the guy is just a sheep following all the other sheep, for lack of individual thought.

Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 01:57PM

In the early seventies at BYU, I grew a beard between semesters. DW and I bought tickets for the theater in the Wilkinson Center. An officious functionary refused entrance because of the beard. The dodge: it was between semesters, so I was not technically a student; we saw the movie.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 02:17PM

It is the beard's job to increase. It grows well on some men- others, not so much. It is the Mormon's job (they think) to decipher, dodge, direct and dictate. I've never liked dictators.

Posted by: papasmurf ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 01:23PM

You all should see my ward! BP counselor has a goatee; 2/3 of old EQP, 3/3 of new EQP, YM pres, clerk all have full beards, from neat stubble to nearing on ZZ top. It is awesome! No complaints from leaders yet. Young men often sport what they can muster.

Date: July 08, 2014 01:55PM

papasmurf, you have a beard?

Date: July 08, 2014 07:02PM

Of course! The moniker says it all. There are a lot of us be-bearded regular folk in addition to the ones listed. I am not blue, though.

Date: July 08, 2014 07:18PM

Did you know that there are a few "blue" people around the Kentucky area? Anyway, your moniker is neat.

Date: July 08, 2014 07:43PM

Curiosity piqued. Please tell us more about the blue Kentuckians. Truth be told, I guess I am blue, just not pigmentally. Love the thread. Thanks for starting it. Maybe time for rhgc to beard up! ;)

Date: July 08, 2014 08:46PM

There is a group of people who, do to inbreeding have a condition which makes then a shade of blue. Because of the decline of inbreeding, this trait is now dying out. It was/is only within several families and you can probably read more by simply googling ing.

Just did it. Look for "blue people".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2014 08:49PM by rhgc.

Posted by: Keyser ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 01:38PM

Beards are "in" all over the U.S. right now. And if everyone has a beard, then having a beard is not "non-conformist."

Fashions in facial hair come and go and Mormonism has pretty much followed the predominant conservative American stance on facial hair throughout its history, although it's usually been slightly behind the trend.

Posted by: Shim ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 02:18PM

being behind the trend pretty much defines conservative

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 06:48PM

If beards are "in"...a good reason not to have one.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 07:23PM

Big long square beards getting more common in Australia, along with sleeve tattoos and a short side long top haircut.

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 07:44PM

As with everything the morgbots will be behind on this trend too.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 07:57PM

But it will be cool when the morgbots are sporting big long square beards along with sleeve tattoos and a short side long top haircut - and the rest of the population wears a crew cut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2014 07:58PM by thingsithink.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 08:13PM

My honey has a full beard, has for years. He's kind of disgusted that he is fashionable right now.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 08:41PM

Beards are definitely the in thing lately. DH of 23 years has had some type of facial hair for half our marriage. Last time he went clean shaven he shaved the 'stashe part first before surprising me in the kitchen. I told him if he was going Amish I was leaving him :D

Just this week he went from closely-trimmed full beard to a goatee because he's become self-conscious about how much his sidebeard areas are grey compared to his brunette chin/stashe and head hair.

It would be fun to see him go full prophet. However, unless he takes up professional ball late in life, the look would not be conducive in his line of work. Maybe when we retire...

As usual, The Onion has some wise words on the subject:

http://www.theonion.com/video/beard-husks-on-sidewalk-indicate-start-of-hipster,36352/

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 10:26PM

My beard, my jorts, my truck! (innermost thoughts of MO and EXMO guys!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.