Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jeff_58 ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:19PM

I spent my 2 years in Albuquerque, NM. I was the worst missionary ever (meaning I worked super hard to sell people on joining the cult).

During my time I had a lot of success (unfortunately) and ended up convincing 36 people to give up 10 percent of their income.

Although abiut half are nkw out, many are not. Specifically there were 4 4 families that I baptized that have since gone to the temple and sent sons of their own on missions.

Now that I realize how I helped the church lie to them and steal their money I feel horrible about it.

My question is this: should I now go back to them and tell them how wrong I was? WoI'll it even matter? Had anyone reading this done anything like that? Did it help?

I don't want to do anything more to hurt these people but if I had truly taught them about what really happened when the church was founded no, way in hell do they join.

Any experiences on this would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: satanslittlehelper ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 05:43PM

I remember feeling guilty for being such a good salesman for the wacky mormon church. My mission president even said I was one of the most successful missionaries in our mission. After I left the cult, those words used to really bother me. I felt guilty about screwing around with other people's lives etc.

BUT here is the good news….not long after I left mo-ism I visited a friend who had returned to our mission. He was able to tell me that almost all the people I had "converted" had eventually lost interest in the church and drifted away.

As soon as the guys who taught them are transferred, most converts drift away. DESPITE what the church says, it is NOT some "spiritual" process that convinces people to get dipped. It is THE PERSONALITY OF THE MISSIONARY. If a convert sticks around it is because they are usually kinda lonely and miserable to begin with and need assigned friends. Healthy people often see flirting with mormonism like taking up square dancing as a hobby. Ya wear weird clothes, practice secret handshakes, and only talk about it with other members of the club. BUT most people eventually look back on it as a phase…laugh about it…and move on.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 08:42PM

I was a very unsuccessful missionary. I converted nobody, thank goodness. But I did give out a lot B of M's and heartfelt testimonies and worried that those might have had some effect. If I knew of anyone I had influenced I'd want to tell them I changed my opinion if I could find them. Since I served in Europe I doubt I could find anyone and doubt they would remember me.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 08:52PM

I was quite successful given I was in Europe and fortunately most if my converts she now out.

One is ultra TBM, however, and when I went back he called on me to repent!

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 08:54PM

Should be: " ...most of my converts are now out."

Posted by: Delila ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 09:34PM

You DID repent--and so should he.

Posted by: jeff_58 ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 02:16AM

I with they were all out. 3 familes are still in. Kids are RM's. I feel horrible. I'm going to have to contact them. I'm just not looking forward to it...

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 09:35AM

I think you should leave it alone. You'll be opening up a can of worms and will likely regret it.
I was a convert, and not once did I think about the missionaries who gave me lessons as guilty of "causing" me to join Mormon church. I never thought about such a thing until I read your post! Nobody made anybody do anything. We chose to go through with baptism. I joined back in 1975. Nobody could have stopped me. Nobody was holding a gun to my head.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 09:39AM

I would only raise the issue with them if asked. You might convince someone to do something, and even help them with it in the beginning stages. But if they stick with it over the long term, it's because they want to.

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 11:46AM

I don't think you should feel guilty but I see nothing wrong with opening a dialogue with them either. I say visit them and if they bring it up and want to know why you no longer believe, then by all means tell them!

The more people out of that religion the better! And the more people hear the truth the better! Feathers may be ruffled but that's life! Progress won't happen in this world without it.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 12:58PM

I had a lot of babtisms in Korea. However, a lot were women who would be obligated to follow their husbands anyway and the men were younger that I doubt paid any tithing as they needed the money they made to survive. Don't think many are still active, feel terrible I lied to anyone but practically impossible to correct now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.