Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon4thisObviously ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 12:47PM

I've been out of the cult for 7 years next month. I still can't bring myself to reveal my "new name" that I received in the temple. I just feel an absolute debilitating fear when the thought even crosses my mind.

I don't know what to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 12:49PM

just tell us the temple place and date and we will know your silly temple name.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 12:51PM

My exmo therapist sent me here when I was having trouble with not wearing garments and telling my super secret God given name because I was too afraid.

Even my TBM daughter laughs about my name. Every time someone says it, we look at each other with a grin on our faces. My ex-SIL's last dog has my super secret name.

My temple name is LUCY. Lucy, lucy, lucy, lucy, lucy. I hate that name. My ex even said, "What!?!?" at the veil when I told him the name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 12:51PM by cl2.

Posted by: Coolio Iglesias ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:43PM

Ha! My wife is Lucy too!!

Hollywood just might make the name popular tho - Scarlett J as a bad ass.

Posted by: BillShat ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 12:59PM

You're normal. A lot of us struggled to give up that last bit of control. If it's something you want to do, and you really feel strongly about shedding that secret, there's a couple ways to go about it - 1) rip it off like a bandaid (probably not working too well if it's been 7 yrs). 2) in stages. Start by saying which book of scripture it's found in - maybe start broad like OT NT BoM etc. as you get comfortable, reveal the book you can find it in - 1 Kings, Ether, etc. then chapter, then verse, and then finally say it aloud.
Maybe try each of those steps alone before you actually execute. After it's done you'll have a good laugh about the whole thing.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:00PM

My temple name is Elias. Every guy who went to the temple that day was named Elias. Every guy who went to the temple on the same day the next month was named Elias and the next month and the next month.

Changing your name is just another way to own you. It is another way to take away anything that is uniquely you. It is a way to neuter you and make you one more useful unit. Shed this last control tactic. Take yourself back.

Go out in the middle of the street and scream out your name and then yell, "Nobody owns me!"

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:43PM

Unless somebody named Elias went through on that day. In that case his new name was Adam.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:01PM

Rip off the frickin' Band-Aid already and do it here. It ain't that big a deal.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:06PM

My temple name was Nimrod.

Can't even recall what my wife's was.

Is a god that's mercurial enough to give you a terrible name and then expect you to not tell anyone else a god you're really interested in communing with?

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:30PM

Mine should have been Gullible Dumbass.
Actually it was Olivia as in Newton John or Havalid. (or however you spell that one)

Posted by: Tiny Tears ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:32PM

de Havilland!

Olivia de Havilland

My temple name was Deborah.
Stupid, stupid temple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 01:33PM by Tiny Tears.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:32PM

Abigail here. DH went though the same day as me, but he says his was Michael and according to the internet, the temple worker must have messed up and given him the name from the day before. It has all the significance and power of Peter Rabbit. Still, my sister won't tell me hers and she's a atheist that's been out for years. Sometimes we are just not logical creatures.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:34PM

Short for Abraham, of course.

Haven't-been-hit-by-lightening-yet-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:35PM

Matthew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 01:35PM by Leaving.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:38PM

Mickey Mouse

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:46PM

Saul here.

You dont have to tell anyone if you dont want to. If youve been out for 7 years, no point in holding onto it anyway. Probably best to just forget and move on and not let it bother you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 01:46PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: Fenwick Montgomery ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:00PM

Mosiah. Done!

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 05:48PM

Fenwick Montgomery Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mosiah. Done!

Hey, how is that possible? I though I was Mosiah...

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:11PM

My goodness I cannot even remember what it was

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:36PM

Charlotte here. The temple is a creepy place, with creepy rituals--I can write and say that out loud now that I have come out of the LDS fog of having to think it was spiritual and uplifting. I used to think that the temple workers were a special part of the Mormon community until after my daughters returned from their missions--six weeks after the start of the semester (of course) so worked in the Oakland temple a couple days a week. Two beautiful young women. Everyone enjoyed working with them particularly some of the creepy old men who hit on them regularly. After a particularly unsettling hit-on, my husband and I met with the temple president telling him to get his temple workers in line.

Posted by: Anon2227 ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:41PM

Leah.

I was so pissed off.

Posted by: celticlass ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:43PM

Charlotte here too

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:45PM

August 26, 1972, Oakland

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:44PM

Reuben, aka sandwich.

Posted by: lefthandedgoat ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:06PM

Just thinking about the crazy sap who sits around thinking up the list of names that temples use. Who do you suppose has that job and how can they not see the disconnect? Their job is to make up names for GOD. Why doesn't GOD do that job himself? A human makes up the names that GOD uses to let people into the Celestial Kingdom? Just CRAZY!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:08PM

Tell me what it is, and I will reveal it for you.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:17PM

It's small deal which doesn't undermine your daily quality of life like wearing garments or abstaining from coffee might.

Posted by: DeprogrammedMorgbot ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:22PM

Still to this day, my dad is No. 1 (David) on the Temple Name Oracle Full List @ http://www.fullerconsideration.com/fulllist.php

He kept it a secret. But, I figured it out when he was 81. He has been an ultra active TBM, BIC, RM, etc. his whole life with a huge posterity. When he and I learned the church is NOT TRUE about 1-1/2 years ago, he had no problem letting me put his new name on the Oracle website. He couldn't remember the endowment date, so I had to look it up on his genealogical family history spread sheets I have in a file cabinet. I also put my mom's on it too (dad told me).

Go Dad. Still young at heart and going strong. You're still number one to me. He's now out of TSCCult. I'm out. And one sister is out.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:34PM

Actually I've been out for almost 14 years and I was so angry at the church when I left that I told my Freakin' name right away and was done with it, so done with it that I can no longer remember what it was but I know what it should have been.... "you've been f**ked" and that was an honest and pure name I just invented.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:59PM

Asa checking in.

Stupid cult

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 05:50PM

Redneck Wonderland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Asa checking in.

Haha, that's funny. My wife was Ada.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 04:08PM

I haven't either, but not because of any fear. I guess it's just an integrity thing with me. I promised not to reveal it, in front of witnesses, so I don't.

It doesn't bother me at all if other people reveal theirs though. I think it's a personal thing.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 05:55PM

I suppose that makes sense if you meant your promise.

For me all those promises were forced and the only reason I ever agreed was because of peer pressure and a desire to do what was expected of me by a full room.

Therefore, to me, all promises were moot having not been genuine anyway.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 06:07PM

temple under duress and being lied to, I also don't consider the not telling my temple name to anyone b.s., too. I don't wear my garments for the same reason. I have discussed all sacred and secret things that happened in the temple. I feel it all falls under the same category.

One thing is for sure, I knew immediately there was a problem with my God given name being Lucy. Obviously my parents knew me better than God did. They made the temple name seem so SPECIAL all my life, it was one of those things I waited and waited to find out. What a blow! Lucy. Never much liked Lucille Ball, so that just did it for me. I was not LUCY. That name always disturbed me.

P.S. For those who don't know me--my real name is Colleen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 06:09PM by cl2.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 06:13PM

Leah

Posted by: NOTappropriate ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 06:37PM

It doesn't matter if you believe in the church or not, revealing your names is NOT APPROPRIATE. Whether or not it is sacred to you, the concept is sacred to SOMEONE ELSE. And this is coming from an EXMO.

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 06:45PM

B.S. Its about as sacred as one of my bowel movements.

Oliver here. Sucky name.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 06:45PM

NA:

I'll be deciding that for myself thank you. After all, it's MY name. Even though I don't care for the name Martha.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 06:47PM by madalice.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 06:50PM

Oh, dear, there are so many different things that are deeply sacred to so many different people. And that sacredness is violated on a regular basis by everyone else. It is literally impossible to honor every single thing that every single person in the world feels is sacred.

And what Mormons feel is sacred is no exception, no better, no more sacred.

The idea that others must not violate anyone else's sacred codes is simply not a practicable thing to do. Mormons don't get any special treatment in that respect or in any other.

One really needs to just relax and let a sense of humor help you get through the day.

Oh, and shouting is not appropriate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.