Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JustThinkin ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 11:37AM

We have God's one true prophet among us, even Thomas Monson, yet he doesn't seem to be very visible to the world. You'd think that one who stands at the same level of Moses of old would be put forth at every opportunity to be seen and heard. Perhaps he could do an international daily radio show taking live call in questions from listeners on scripture and other Godly matters, providing pure inspired answers and counsel directly from God. Wonder why something like this doesn't happen? Surely listeners would be so inspired by hearing the pure inspiration and intelligence on a daily basis that they would flock by the millions to join the church. Membership would surely double every month.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 11:41AM

Hmmm, yeah... I "wonder".... :)

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 11:45AM

I admit that for a person claiming divine revelation, the information on soda pop and lowering missionary age seemed rather underwhelming.

What's next? A revelation to go the mall?

Oh, wait...

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 12:35PM

frogdogs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I admit that for a person claiming divine
> revelation, the information on soda pop and
> lowering missionary age seemed rather
> underwhelming.
>
> What's next? A revelation to go the mall?
>
> Oh, wait...

+1

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 12:37PM

Yeah, everyone knows who the Pope is.
Most folks know Billy Graham.
Why isn't the profit a prominent public figure?
Why aren't real presidents seeking his advice or counsel?
Even Jesse Jackson has counseled presidents.

Posted by: Carl Pagan ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 09:41PM

nomonomo Wrote:
> Yeah, everyone knows who the Pope is.
> Most folks know Billy Graham.
> Why isn't the profit a prominent public figure?
> Why aren't real presidents seeking his advice or
> counsel?
> Even Jesse Jackson has counseled presidents.

To the world at large, Mormons are some weird American fringe cult that can't drink coffee, with smiling guys in ties who knock on your door on Sunday mornings waking you up and ticking you off with Jesus-jabber.

That's about it.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 11:52AM

Or just the occasional getting up on a wall and calling the world to repentance. Or the sending of bears to devour us exmos for making fun of him.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:44PM

"The sending of bears" Tooooooo funny!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:30PM

My neighborhood has developed a lot of bears in the last couple years. I hadn't realized where they came from. Dang.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:40PM

Bring 'em on--I need a new rug.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 11:55AM

I have no doubt that 12 apostles of Paul's callibre would make more of a difference than the 80,000 or so uneducated missionaries that currently peddle TSCC's wares. The gutless wimps are too busy hiding behind throngs of adoring fans to face the mean and nasty outside world.

If the prophet, seer and revelator isn't going to prophecy, see or reveal anything, then he might as well dodge questions from an investigator so that a teenage missionary can go home and have a chance at a normal life. That would be the Christ-like thing to do.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 11:57AM

Well he could go on a talk show like the Hinkster did on Larry King Live but I think it would be a complete disaster.

Tommy must be a fallen profit.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 12:02PM

Tommy the widow grabber is real? I thought he was well preserved corpse, like Lenin.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 12:44PM

he can wiggle his ears.
What more do you want from a profit ?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:01PM

I think the World Quota for Fluff & Nonsense was filled a Long Time Ago.... TSMs handlers, PR employees & consultants prob. know this;
if he were to address 'the world' thru a (paid) communication, most people would ask: 'What did he say?' and 'how is that anything different for me?'

IOW, PR Fail

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 03:49PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:05PM

But the world needs MORE WIDOW STORIES! And More cowbell.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:08PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
> But the world needs MORE WIDOW STORIES! And More
> cowbell.

more cowbell. Snort

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:42PM

more widow stories

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:56PM

The "widow stories" knob goes to 11.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:18PM

1.) Can't compete with the pope. Has funny clothes but can only wear them in the temple, and doesn't drive anything like the pope mobile.

2.) Wasn't cool enough to start the fad with everything starting with i. Such as, iMissionary, iPolygamy, iGarments, iTithing.

3.) Could do cola commercial, but soda's not cool anymore. Coffee and tea are much more healthy.

4.) Has a face that would scare dogs and small children.

5.) After Mittens, public sick of mormons!

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:28PM

Showing the emperor to non-citizens is much more likely to reveal nudity.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 05:01PM

+1

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:14PM

You can't do that. What if one day he is only speaking as a man?

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:22PM

If there was a real prophet of God, he would speak out every day against the worst evils of the world, like slavery and cruelty to animals.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:47PM

Monsons excuse is Dementi and possibly Alzheimers.

Hinckleys excuse was 'not enough time for all the interviews - and then they ask questions!"

The one I wonder about is George Albert Smith - who failed to warn the world, or even the German and close European members about the great Evil that Adolf Hitler was.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:34PM

profits, sears, & revolutionaries

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 09:43PM

Actually a German woman I know says that the church excommunicated a member at the time who was passing out anti-Hitler flyers in Germany. We're supposed to support governments, no matter what.

Posted by: My Take ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 03:35PM

If Christ had been as visible to the world as Thomas S. Monson.

... There never would have been any Christianity.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 04:19PM

JustThinkin has posed an excellent question. Why is it that Monson cannot convince anyone outside of his church that he is God's prophet on earth? I guess he's either an ordinary man or a lousy prophet.

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 04:55PM

LDS prophets just like to preach to the quoir. Isn't a wonder that in biblical and Book of Mormon times, prophets would go out into the world to call non-believers to repentance and warn of the end times and bring the word of god to the wicked facing hostile and VIOLENT crowds who would threaten their lives or in many cases actually KILL them, but now that in these last days where we actually live in countries, including "Zion," where we have the protection of freedom of speech and religion and one can go and preach to the world with no threat of limb or life, these cowardly prophets would rather stay home and only speak to those already converted.

With so many forums for communication these days it's pathetic that they don't take advantage to spread the word to the uncoverted. Instead, the most they do is meet with the occasional political leader and given then their family tree and express their support for "traditional" marriage. No book of Mormons being handed out, no bold proclamations of the word of The Lord, no warning of the end times, no mention of the restoration of the true church.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 07:55PM

Prophet of the planet, unknown outside Utah.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 08:02PM

I don't think the mormon church places a huge emphasis publicly on its leader being a Prophet. They seem to talk more about him being the President.

Even the Church's own site listing the church leaders lists them as "Presidents of the Church . . . ." At the bottom of the page in small print it says "These prophets also serve as Presidents of the Church and direct the affairs of the Church."

https://www.lds.org/churchhistory/presidents/leaders.jsp

Posted by: kirchoff ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 08:32PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.