Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thehammer ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 05:29PM

There is a new website about Mormon church discipline that is collecting stories about church discipline. If you have been a victim of church discipline, please consider sending your story to mystory@mormonchurchdiscipline.org

The website is: http://www.mormonchurchdiscipline.org/

Someone has said "A cult is a group that won't let you leave with your dignity intact." Maybe getting people's stories out there will help change the church's demeaning practices.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 05:53PM

I know there are mormons out there who would be horrified to learn how poorly the church treats some of its members. They are only about themselves. Especially if you're female.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 06:07PM

And there are Mormons who will convince themselves that even if others were treated horribly, it must have somehow been a good thing -- God moving in mysterious ways, or whatever -- because priesthood leaders, who must always be obeyed, were prayerful about it.

Posted by: Tiny Tears ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 07:39PM

That a church requires discipline at all and can't motivate their members with the "Good News" they claim to preach, is very telling.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 07:55PM

It all starts with rules and following orders. I look at rules that have no basis in law and dismiss most out of hand as stupid and worthless (and I belong to very few organizations because they all have rules meant to control members) and I always sucked at taking orders. Not in my DNA I guess....good thing I've been my own boss for 40 years.

Ron Burr

Posted by: G Marx ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 01:29AM

I would never willingly join any organization that would have me as a member

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 12:08PM

There are a couple of stories up there that are really appalling. In one case, a guy got disfellowshipped for unknown reasons, then later had his court reconvened to put him back in good standing. Whoever did the reconvening failed to turn in the paper work, even though they gave the guy a letter reinstating him. A later bishop found out that he was disfellowshipped. He confirmed that the re-fellowshipping had taken place, but there was no way to get Salt Lake to change his membership status without reconvening yet another court to reverse the disfellowshipment. So the guy had to go through yet another court, with a number of people finding out all about it, just because Salt Lake was unwilling to fix their effin' paperwork. Or computer program. Or whatever.

http://www.mormonchurchdiscipline.org/?page_id=37

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 04:11PM

Does having electrodes strapped to your gonads and private parts then zapping you with electricity, all because you are gay, count as discipline?

Just bringing up that nasty episode from 36 years ago.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 05:19PM

CULT!

CULT!

CULT!

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 03:50PM

Wow. Spintobear--so sorry they did this to you. I hope you have had a chance to tell that story somewhere. Were you threatened with church discipline if you didn't submit to this atrocity? Not that it makes it any better even if they didn't. I've seen "Legacies"--about all that stuff. Wish someone would make a higher quality video about it and make it more accessible. Sickening! The church needs to be held accountable for this.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 04:29PM

Disciple my butt

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.