Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 01:20AM

She always struck me as kind of "around the bend," even way back in the old days, but she has gotten worse.

To make polite conversation, I asked about her kids and grandkids (who are, of course, numerous and fruitful.) She steered the topic around to being widowed (which I had heard about some time ago from DH's HT, who dearly loves to gossip).

The entire time she was talking, she had this weird, glassy-eyed, huge smile pasted across her face. She said, "Oh, the Savior is my companion now. I just can't imagine what I'd do without him in my life!"

Oh, my. That struck me as terribly sad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 02:14AM

It is sad when these kind of people must throw around the religious references no matter where they are or who they meet up with. Like that will do them good when they take their last breath.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 08:45AM

It is sad. She is probably pretty lonely.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 10:45AM

This is common. When my uncle died my aunt prayed to die. Her life stopped for several years. She is still alive in her 80's and she isn't Mormon. I think it happens in the elderly. Something to be mindful of what not to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 10:45AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 11:35PM

Some people do not do at all well without their spouses once they are widowed. If Jesus is helping to get this woman through her day, then I say more power to her.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:06AM

...prepare its faithful sisters for widowhood, considering statistics show women are more likely to outlive their husbands. But, gee, I guess that's what polygamy was for -- getting widows new husbands, even if it meant sharing.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 11:20AM

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:49AM

I've seen it so many times.

One friend said, "I know his work here was finished and mine isn't but I just want to hurry up and join him."

Another said, (after losing a spouse to suicide), "All I could think about was going to find XXXXXX".

I'm no psychologist but believing in being reunited in Heaven and therefore, hoping for one's own death seems unhealthy.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:56AM

My elderly mother talks about hoping my dad will come "get" her soon. He's been gone since 1982. She prays every day to die.

Posted by: truckerexmo ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:57AM

somtimes I'd love to give these people a shake, and tell them hubby is worm bait, and that is what you you strive for?! No more Grandchildren, no more sunrises, etc?! How sad.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 11:50AM

My former mother in law was a lot like this women, and what I took away from her remarks like this is that she sees herself as spiritually superior to all others. She's essentially saying that Jesus himself has picked her to pall around with. Beat that!

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 11:58AM

Roll eyes

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:02PM

wow..her comment about the savior sounds like an Evangelical Christian to me.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 12:57AM

I hope the bishop told her that having that personal a relationship was an improper goal. Then tongue-kissed her.

Anagrammy

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 11:37PM

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 12:49AM

would rather be Jesus's bride than the bride of their ordinary shlub husband.

Catholic nuns are often considered to be married to Jesus (even though technically this is through their service to the Church, which is the "Bride of Christ")--and probably some percentage of them like this idea because (in their minds) after you get to know a superhero like Jesus, how can you settle for marriage to a flawed, sinful mortal wretch.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=136283

I suspect that this is how Joe Smith was able to gain access to so many women in his milieu--including women married to other men. Once he had them convinced that he was God's "right hand man," he had the allure of the alpha male and some subset of women in the Kirtland and Nauvoo communities who saw themselves trapped in the equivalent of a Chevrolet marriage inevitably would have been eager to be invited to get into a Rolls Royce marriage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.