Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 02:08PM

...please stay safe tonight and tomorrow morning with the hurricane coming in.

I am at home now and planning on riding this sucker out tonight with my parents. It is cloudy and breezy here in Newport NC and is expected to go downhill the rest of the afternoon and into the night and early tomorrow morning. The storm is being forecasted to be a little bit stronger than anticipated. I should be okay for the evening, we got water and a well stocked food cabinet of non-perishables if needed. Even after the several storms that I have been through, I still don't know what to expect because each storm is very different.

Depending on the electricity situation, I will update sometime tomorrow once this thing has past.

And have a great Fourth of July to everyone as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 02:32PM

I wish you safety and a wonderful 4th, kativicky. tomorrow is my daughter's birthday. I hope we don't get blown away! I'm still traumatized from hurricane Hugo in 89. It was mondo scary; our storm door was ripped off the hinges, a tree thrown everywhere, well, you get the picture. I live in the center of SC. My brother's house on the coast of Garden City floated down the shore, etc. I hope this one is calm. I need to go look up a weather update. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted by: Sapphire ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 02:38PM

Wishing you all a safe night, that is so scary! I've been super afraid of storms ever since the time a tornado went right over me. Please be safe!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 02:44PM by Sapphire.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 07:14PM

Stay safe, folks!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 07:16PM

don't forget to make provisions for your animals. We will be waiting for updates when you can make them.

Date: July 03, 2014 07:35PM

Well, we just got done with rain band #1 with more to come. Forecasters are talking about the storm making landfall in my neck of the woods somewhere in between Jacksonville NC and the Cape Lookout National Seashore. My SIL is trying to get my parents and I to ride the storm out at their house instead at our home but my parents don't really want to leave.

We already had a tornado touch down in a county about 1 or 2 south of me and now that have a tornado warning coming out for an area north of me.

Luckily for me I don't have to really worry about any pets but if I did, they would be taken well care of.

All I know is that it is going to be a long night tonight.

Thanks for the well wishes so far.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 07:39PM

Take care, Kativicky. I've been following the partial evacuation of the Outer Banks -- it sounds like they've done a good job of getting the islands cleared out. Hang in there.

Date: July 03, 2014 11:21PM

Well we are in the midst of the eye coming ashore over Cape Lookout NC. The wind and rain have picked up like crazy in the last few hours. The neighboring town is seeing the calm of the eye right now. We still have power but I am not sure for how much longer. This will probably be the last update until tomorrow because we still have the second half of the storm to go.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 11:57PM

Central VA, here. Just supposed to get 2-3" of rain with very little wind. Thank HF!

My sister lives in VA Beach. They're supposed to get 40MPH winds.

I am so frightened of all storms since Isabel, the Derecho in June 2012 and especially Irene when a tree hit the house. I've lost half my oaks in the past decade because of all the storms.

I feel for anyone who must face anything significant with this storm.

Stay safe.

Date: July 04, 2014 11:47AM

Good Morning everyone and Happy Fourth of July!!!

Well, I made it through the wrath of Hurricane Arthur last night and I am doing great. I just got back in from checking out the estate and it looks more like we got a bad thunderstorm than a category 2 hurricane. We have a few twigs and very small branches that are litter the back side of the yard near the tree line and one of my moms plants got knocked over but nothing really major. There was an erie feel to the air though and I could smell the pine sap when I was wondering around the trailer making sure everything was okay. Now it just looks like it is business as usual around here.

Officials say that Arthur made its initial land fall at 11:15pm over Shackleford Banks in between Cape Lookout NC and Beaufort NC. With the direction that the storm was moving, the western most part of the eye wall stayed about 10-15 miles east of Newport, but did come well over the eastern parts of Morehead City and some of the beaches that I live a few minutes from.

My neighborhood never lost power last night, but the power did do a little bit of flickering and at one time I thought we were going to lost it right before Midnight.

I know that there is a lot of flooding and stuff a couple of hours north of me near where Cape Hatteras National Park and some of the surrounding communities that are on the Outer banks from the storm surge. The storm surge can cause just as much damage if not more than the winds themselves during these storms. I know that parts of the Outer banks in this area are still off limits to residents and visitors as Emergency Official make sure that the main highway and some of the major bridges that connect the islands are passable. I hear that part of Highway 12 which runs up the islands has been damage pretty badly.

Thank you everyone of sent me and my community happy thoughts and well wishes even if you did not say anything here on RFM.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:47PM

I am relieved that you made it through the night with minimal damage.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 02:52PM

Thanks for the update. It sounded like certain communities in NC were taking a pounding. I was surprised at how quickly the storm moved offshore. Glad you're okay.

Date: July 04, 2014 04:07PM

I have to say that through all the storms that I remember going through, this one was the quickest to move on through. Usually these things stick around for a while and linger.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.