Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 04:11PM

The Bishopric spoke in sacrament this morning. I know it was directed at me, since I recently spoke with my Bishop in passing. It was a very casual conversation, but he just asked me if I had reconsidered or changed my mind about the church. I told him not to mistake my kindness to the ward members and my continued activity with a testimony. I told him I do not believe Joseph Smith, or any man in the church had authority. I'm pretty sure he thought sacrament meeting pulled at my heart strings. It just nauseated me more concerning the doctrines of the church.

The 2nd counselor spoke on the divine calling of Joseph Smith. I wanted to barf in my seat at all the whitewashed history he told. Instead of letting my kids get brainwashed, I played with them and used a lot of distraction. I also asked my oldest why they were talking about JS so much instead of Jesus. I told them we're supposed to talk about Jesus at church.

The 1st counselor woke on the divinity of the Book of Mormon and even talked a little about apostasy.

The Bishop only spoke for 5 minutes, but he reminded everyone about this great work, emphasized the spirit and encouraged us to reread the Book of Mormon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 04:13PM

with your middle finger when they spoke.

:)

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 04:26PM

Or sneezed the word "bullshit!"

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 04:20PM

talks like that would be powerfu, much less powerful enough to engender belief in someone. Haven't they sat through enough sac meetings to know how powerfully boring the blah, blah, blah is? If they had two cents worth of introspection, maybe they could buy a clue.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 04:32PM

say the same stuff it SUDDENLY becomes the truth. How odd.

On the other hand, maybe he WASN'T talking to you. Maybe he was innoculating all the other members in case you happen to tell the rest of the ward of your uninspiring info on J>S.

Just a thot!

Glad you made sure your kids didn't hear the stuff. :)

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 05:30PM

When I was in the RS Presidency, there were a couple of women in the ward who had said something negative about the temple around a member of the Presidency.

So we planned this big ole combined RS/Priesthood meeting to talk about the temple specificaly to help these women who had been put off by the temple ceremony. I can only assume they went to the temple when they were doing the blood oaths, and one of them had NEVER gone back.

One of them actually went up to the presenter afterwards and tell her how much it helped her.

Too bad, eh?

I think it might be kind of fun to mention to the bishop that you appreciated the effort they put into your issues, but it doesn't change anything.

Would that be rude?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 05:38PM

Date: July 31, 2011 09:56PM

Have to for now to keep the peace with DH. I'm still semi-closeted. My DH, and two people in the ward know (bishop & RS prez). The RS president is a dear friend of mine and up until a few weeks ago, I was her first counselor. I wanted to be honest with her and I also needed to inform her that I wasn't going to receive or be a VTer. She has kept my secret and is a very classy lady, they don't make em like her anymore.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 03:12PM

I'm in your position too so you're not alone.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 05:00PM

I've upgraded myself to the "sacrament meeting only so I can play with... er... watch my 3-yr-old daughter in the foyer" level.

I too received sacrament meetings and class lessons directed at me - at least I'm pretty sure judging by the timing of the content. But they seem to have given up on me now, hence I can upgrade myself.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 05:41PM

I might have gotten up and walked out. That would have sent a message.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 03:14PM

I did that two months ago at a fucked-up shit-filled "Mothers Who Know" jackass meeting in RS two months ago. haven't been back there since.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,215986,216800,page=2#msg-216800

Just go back to the top of the page to read.

Posted by: Wondering... ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 05:51PM

Sometimes I have a hard time sitting still as sacrament continually is about following the rules, doctrines. Today was no different. Only good thing was Sunday School was from Acts and talked of the Savior. 3rd hour was more of the same where they were looking for a committment to the church from everyone. I wanted to scream when they brough up service examples (HT, VT, Temple Work, Geneology, etc) What about real service outside the church that would actually help those in need? Frustrated.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 06:40PM

I feel bad for some of you that sit through that still. It's been 15 years for me and I couldn't imagine having to sit there for three hours and listen to another talk or testimony meeting again!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 06:47PM

Geez, Bishop Jackwagon did this to me too. After our "encounter" DH didn't want me going back to church and being around the bishop, unless he was there too. Problem was, DH was working Sundays at the time so there were a couple of months where we stayed home or went to my sister's ward. I was still trying to figure out what I was going to do: exmo, Jack Mormon, NOM, closet disbeliever etc. so we still sorta were thinking of attending. Then, they asked my daughter to sing as part of an upcoming Mother's Day program. She really wanted to do it, since she rarely gets a chance to sing because both the bishop and his first minion have several Primary aged daughters who sing and their musical talents dominate. So the bishop KNEW I would be there to hear my daughter sing and both he and his wife got up and talked about things they knew I was questioning - like the First Vision. And they talked about not questioning and listening to the spirit above all else. The bishop's wife, who is still my friend, actually looked sheepish like he had forced her to talk and she really didn't want to because she knew it was targeted at me. Bishop Jackwagon's talk, on the other hand, was a severe scolding on MOTHER'S DAY. He didn't mention me by name, nor did he say anything to indicate to the ward he was talking about me but the information he covered was exactly what he knew I was dealing with. Honestly, on Mother's Day. WHAT a JERK!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2011 06:50PM by CA girl.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 07:18PM

I have to say, no matter how many times i see "Bishop Jackwagon..." it never fails to bring bring a smirk to my face and a I love to read what is next. Something about that name just fits many bishops so well.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 07:20PM

Actually, off-board I usually refer to him as Satan or That Jack@ss. Bishop Jackwagon I reserve for you guys ;)

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 07:07PM

Typical of the guilt and shame the mormons dish out. Then they wonder why people loose intrest and quit the mormons. So sorry,,

Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 08:04PM

Be careful that you don't see them displaying a general garment and assume it's cut to your size.

Date: July 31, 2011 09:58PM

After Sacrament mtg I hid in an empty classroom and played angry birds a little, read some excellent literature by the Tanners on my iPad and listened to my Christian rock music w/ear phones. Had a great last two hours of church.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 10:09PM

I am so glad you asked your kids WHY they talk so little about JC. That in my mind should be a big question in the yrs. to come - if introduced by you "fake to get along" folks. And wondering....I agree that real service work should be the emphasis...not HT, VT, Temple....it is always about THEM. CA girl that is terrible what he did on Mother's Day to you. Shameful!

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 05:00PM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 05:12PM

I'll bet you are not the only one in the audience who doesn't believe in the BS and is only attending to be civil.

Posted by: Captive Jack ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 04:33PM

I love how they do these "special message" meetings. They act like they are inspired to come up with the topics for the meeting. It is not inspiration, just s way of trying to push an agenda.
After I turned down a calling, sure enough, the next week, the topic was callings, and how you should never turn down an "opportunity" to "serve".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.