Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 07:15PM

My 14 year old son was ordained to be a teacher today. He wanted me to be there for him, so of course, I went, because I love and support my son, NOT TSCC.

All three kids are still TBM, and go to church with dad & stepmom. Dad just moved to a really nice upscale area (Granite Bay, Sacramento area) and another reason I went was to meet their new bishop and check out the lay of the land. I try to keep close tabs on everything Mormon when it comes to the kids. It all went well enough, but it's incredibly draining to be at a Mormon church and have to sit through all the indoctrination and bs. I found out when I got there that youngest child was giving a talk in primary.......about temples. Dad helped him write it; including the part that mentioned those who don't marry in a temple are no longer married and together after they die. I told son that is a belief, NOT a fact, and that other faiths can and do believe that people are still together; it's wrong to state that they are not. I also hastened to reassure son that I loved him and I knew he would do well with his brief (indoctrination) talk. I hate the kiddie brainwashing, and now I call people on it, like when I talked to his dad afterwards.

Then, off to middle son's ordination. It was nice; bishop What's-his-name seems fairly chill and I didn't the unpleasant vibe I sometimes get from the guys that are all hung up on the 'authority' thing. One thing though, the bishop, in ordaining son a 'teacher', referred to other people in the room who were all teachers in son's life; all of them, without exception, were male. I made it a point, when I introduced myself as the mom, to state that I was also a teacher in son's life; one of the most important ones in his life, along with the two other women in the room: my ex's mother, son's grandma, and my daughter, his sister. They just don't realize how exclusionary and condescending they are towards women; I see so much more of it now that I'm out. And again, I spoke up about it. Not confrontationally, just matter-of-factly, and we ladies were thankfully acknowledged and then we moved on.

Sat in RS with daughter who's now 18 and wanted me to be with her for the 20 or so minutes that were left. It certainly is a test of endurance to sit through it all. Daughter was more interested in discreetly whispering and conversing with me than she was in the lesson; after having had fun all through YW, it's quite a different experience for her to be sitting in RS bored out of her skull because the one interesting RS teacher wasn't there. From what I remember, the discussion was about a talk Pickle Bednar gave about personal revelation. Some of the ladies shared their own personal revelations.......I was hoping for something really interesting or juicy, but it was pretty boring and by that time of afternoon, everybody just wants to get out of there and go home.

And I did it. I girded up my loins, went there, and survived. I did get an awful headache though; my last few months when I was still a member and still struggling to sit through those three hours of church, practically every Sunday I got these horrendous headaches and I would have to leave and go home after Sacrament. I think being there towards the end was so unpleasant, physically, mentally, and emotionally, that my body was screaming at me through these headaches to LEAVE, GET OUT OF THERE!!!
AND DON'T GO BACK.

Well, occasionally I still go back, for my kids. And wouldn't you know it, today when I came back, so did the "Mormon headache".
Now I'm back home, trying to relax and put it behind me, and telling myself:

This is no social crisis,
just another tricky day for you.......
and you'll get through
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLDQVZ-w5Fg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 07:20PM

You are a very good mother and your children are lucky to have you in their lives supporting them. Another point of view from someone they trust can go a long way!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 07:51PM

...along with the beliefs of others. You rock! And your kids got the message loud and clear that you were there for *them*. Don't mess with mama bear! ;-)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 07:53PM

OK, the only thing that will help clear your head now is a blatant violation of the Word of Wisdom. It always helps after a close encounter with a Mormon situation. It can be anything from decaf green tea to an alcoholic beverage to a Starbucks coffee to Haagan Daas Coffee ice cream. Anything that screams "I'm NOT a Mormon." And I agree with Devoted exmo...you are a very good mom and your kids are lucky to have you. Not just because you are supporting them but, like my father, you are showing them what good, decent people there are outside of Mormonism and helping them see another possible life. My dad would have done what you did today and I'll never be able to thank him enough because getting out of the church as a grown-up was infinitely easier because of his quiet good example through the years. Because I knew a good non-Mo life was possible and that non-Mormons were happier than Mormons, despite the propaganda. Keep setting that good example for them and you just don't know what the fruits will be.

Date: July 24, 2011 08:17PM

Aw thanks you guys. It means SO MUCH to hear that!! With Mormons, it's always the same story: THEIR WAY IS THE ONLY WAY. I'm done with it, and I'm trying to be classy about it. I love green tea CA girl! In fact that sounds like a good plan; I think I'll brew some up. I rested for a while and feel a lot better. And I love music; that song I posted, by The Who. I cranked that sucker full blast and danced around the house! Another good way to let off some steam and get rid of the lingering effects ;)

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 08:50PM

What a wonderful day for your kids - to have you there. Love how you spoke up about being a teacher. Indeed you are and Mormons are rude to not acknowledge women in their many roles as teacher. It is sad that your son is being taught such horrible things about the temple and not being together when you die if you marry outside the Temple. Such teachings are another reason these kids grow up not wanting anything to do with nonmormons. Cults teach such lies. As long as you teach them the other opinion, your kids will be okay. Unfortunately most LDS kids are not taught any other belief on who you will be with once you die. Every chance you get keep telling them the difference between facts and beliefs or opinions. I am glad you are able to stomach attendance at these things for the kids. How did the masses treat you?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 08:51PM

Hi neighbor. I live in Rocklin. Your description of the physical torture of sitting through a Mormon meeting was very familiar to me. I felt like my brain was on fire, a hot coal in my cranium. That was when I was a kid. God knows how bad it would be now. Thanks for your post, feminist, and keep listening to The Who.

"Tommy doesn't know what day it is
He doesn't know who Jesus was or what praying is
How can he be saved
From the eternal grave?"

---Pete Townsend, "Tommy"

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 12:40AM

I live in the same area. Starts with an R.

Date: July 24, 2011 09:02PM

Well thank you Don :D If there's one band I wish I could have seen live while they were in their prime and at the height of their glory, it's The Who. Love "Tommy", I've seen it done locally a number of times.
And thanks to you too, honestone. I was treated fine really; that may be because nobody there knows me and knows that I actually resigned from the LDS church this year. It doesn't look like my ex and/or his wife have said anything. I'm not flaunting my recent ex-mo status, but I'm not hiding it either. With the Mormons I know locally in my own town, I treat them, and have been treated by them, like always. I think the bishop here kept quiet about my resignation, but I'm not getting love-bombs or invitations to come back. It's interesting; I don't think anybody quite knows how to categorize me. The ones who know and genuinely like me have maintained their relationships with me, and vice versa. The rest don't matter. And so it goes.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 09:34PM

Daltry in his prime was glorious, like a young lion. Well, they all were glorious. You know how some bands are more studio bands (they shine best in their recordings) and some more live bands (they shine best in live concert?) The Who shone on both fronts, but they were especially wonderful live. They were one of the best live bands I ever saw, and I saw most of them back in the day.

One of my favorite Who vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLI121OBms

And now back to our regular programming. Sorry to veer OT :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 09:38PM by summer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.