Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 08:07PM

DW & I totally enjoyed this hilarious play last year in Portland, Oregon.

imo, it's a giant middle finger to the Mormon cult.

If you saw it, what did you think?

We liked it so much we are seeing it again in Seattle next month.

My favorite line is from the song JS American moses...the chorus ends the song with "Jesus says FUCK FUCK MORMONS! no kidding.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 08:31PM

My nevermo DH and I saw it in NYC about a year and a half ago and we loved it. I thought it was hilarious and loved the music. Actually, I really thought it was a rather touching story.

If it didn't have so many F-bombs in it, I would think that some TBMs might actually enjoy it - if they weren't so busy trying to unwad their twisted garmies.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 08:36PM

Not YET......but I am certainly looking forward to it!!!

:D

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 08:53PM

Seen it in Vegas just last week. Loved it! Was giggling from start to finish. So many things I could relate to throughout. From the uppity companion to the social misfit companion that every missionary gets the chance to have, to the Turn it Off song. The tunes were catchy and clever.
Spoiler alert....one of my favorite scenes was when they wheeled the self-righteous Elder Price out on a gurney with his arse in the air after he tried to convert the warlord. Then they flashed the picture of the X-ray with the BoM stuffed up his nether region. Hilarious. How many times have the Elders been threatened to have that done to them or how often have people thought they would like to do that to them? Good satire has to have some element of truth and the musical hit a home run for me.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 09:35PM

Have tickets for late July in Ottawa. Looking fwd to it.

Posted by: lovespring ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 09:40PM

It is a fantastic musical-I have seen it twice (once in NY and once in LA). I agree with 'Not logged in (usually Duffy)' in that it is a pretty touching story. I took my TBM SIL with me and she loved it. We both actually understood it whereas a lot of the people in the audience don't really know the backstory.

I thought it was more offensive to Africans than Mormons. I'm taking my husband with me next time.

Oh and I BEEEEELIEEEEEVEE!!!

Posted by: jellobeltnevermo ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 09:46PM

Going to see it in Portland on the 20th of July. Happy Birthday to me. I am so looking forward to it.

Posted by: ex'dute ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 12:05AM

I've seen it three times -- on Broadway, in Los Angeles and a couple of weeks ago in Las Vegas. It's incredibly well done and hilarious!

Hasa Diga Ebowai!!

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 12:55AM

And which production was the best? How did they compare?

Posted by: ex'dute ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 02:53AM

onendagus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And which production was the best? How did they
> compare?

All three were outstanding productions. I enjoyed it on Broadway best for a couple of reasons:
-- it was the first time I'd seen it, so it was new
-- I saw the original Broadway cast that included Andrew Rannels ("The New Normal" and "Girls) and Josh Gadd (who was the voice of the snowman in "Frozen") as the leads. They have used their success in "The Book of Mormon" to go on to greater fame.
-- The theater was more intimate. The Pantages Theater in L.A. and the new theater in Las Vegas are both much larger venues.

Still, all three productions were excellent.

Date: July 02, 2014 11:02AM

Nothing compares to Andrew Rannells with his Tony Award winning rendition of "I Believe" on Broadway. I do really like Las Vegas' Jamison Strand as Elder Cunningham, he does a great job. Denee Benton as Nabulungi, steals the show in my opinion. Her performance is fantastic.

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 01:05AM

Saw it on Broadeay 2 years ago. Just talking to a colleague who is back from New York and saw it there. He's got no idea of Mormonism,most people in this distant corner of the land down under confuse Mo's JW's and other weird sects. He loved it.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 03:14AM

Saw it with my grown children and their spouses. I enjoyed it and "got it" so much more than they. I was in the cult way too long. They liked the music and the show in general, but did not pick up many of the things most of us here on rfm would immediately pick up. They just were not in the cult long enough......thank goodness on that score......

I would be cracking up over something and some guy next to me just could not see it.

I saw it in San Francisco last year. It was sooooo AMAZING! It was healing and hurt filled all in the same emotion. Most just super funny. I will see it again one day.

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 03:25AM

We saw it at the Pantages in Los Angeles, last Spring. I enjoyed the acting, music, etc. (I loved the music in the South Park Movie, too!), but was slightly disappointed that they were so "easy" on the Cult.

Both the writers have said that they always liked the Mormon kids they grew up with and didn't want to be mean. Like the creators of South Park WORRY about being mean!LOL

Anyway, I didn't love it as much as everyone else seems to, but I'm a bit fresher in my escape from the Cult, so maybe I'm just not ready to be that forgiving, yet. I don't know about everyone else on the board, but we were taught (even by the missionaries) that Hell was not for humans. It was only for Satan and his demons. That there was NO chance of us going to Hell...merely outer darkness (oh, that's SO much better). So the "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream," although funny, didn't ring true to me. But the ever perky missionaries were certainly familiar! As well as the "I Believe" song.

The thing I thought was the funniest, was an ad inside the program, for TSCC, that stated, "You've seen the Musical, now read the book." Sigh. I guess they never let a chance go by...

And I've spoken to quite a few people who are more interested in TSCC SINCE they saw the musical. Double sigh.

Date: July 02, 2014 02:10PM

Uh, the hell dream, to steal a line from the musical, "is a metaphor". Its about mormon guilt and how much we feel it over even really trivial things. The contrast between sneaking a doughnut and genocide is, you know, funny and ironic. The musical isn't trying to be a documentary.

As far as people being "more interested in mormonism" (with the inference that they will be joining) is...(sigh) failed cult propaganda and typical of what any group tries to spin about themselves after negative press.

What Parker, Stone and Lopez are trying to show is that, yes, the mormon religion is super f-ing crazy but the people in it are actually kind of nice. That is the message of Southpark all along.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 08:57AM

No, but Id like to.

Ton Burr

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 10:56AM

Seven times.

Twice in NYC and five times in LA.

I agree with the poster who said it was fun to see it in NYC with the original cast and because the venue is smaller.

All the productions are high quality so it doesn't matter WHERE you see it.

I love what I believe to be the real point of the play: that religions and gods are created by the human mind.

Posted by: Journey ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 11:42AM

I saw it here in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. I loved it. Definitely not going to get tickets for my TBM 84 y.o. FIL.

My friend said that he pretty much knew all the weird doctrinal things they mentioned except the Garden of Eden being in Jackson Co, MO.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 12:07PM

I saw it a month ago in L.A. and thought it was outstanding. What a great cast. Took four non-member friends with me and they all thought it was great as well. It is amazing the appeal that it has. I have a CD of the soundtrack that I play in my car and I usually wake up in the morning with one of the songs in my head.

"imo, it's a giant middle finger to the Mormon cult." -

I certainly didn't see it that way. I too thought they went pretty easy on the church. Sure, an occasional jab here and there but nothing I would deem as malicious. Besides being hilarious, it had it's tender moments. Anyone planning to see it thinking they are going to see a huge dump on the church wil be disappointed.

"My favorite line is from the song JS American moses...the chorus ends the song with "Jesus says FUCK FUCK MORMONS! no kidding." -

Hmmmmmmmm...I don't recall hearing that line. I'll have to listen more closely to my CD. One of my favorite lines was in "Baptize Me" when the gal, after being baptized, sings "I'm wet with salvation...we just went all the way." LOL!!!

And by the way, I had a Spooky Mormon Hell Dream the other night.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 12:14PM

No, but making a trip to vegas to see it this holiday weekend ,looking forward to it.

Posted by: Elwood ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 02:47PM

I am going next week. The tickets were my Father's Day present - best one yet!

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 03:02PM

Saw it in Seattle the first time around. I thoroughly enjoyed it. My nevermo husband liked it but I think there was a part of it that he didn't really get.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 03:26PM

Saw it just three days ago here in the Bluff City. Another couple I met through this board came over and went with me and some of my friends. It was great because he had been a missionary. We met for dinner beforehand and my friends were very intrigued by that.

I thought it was FABULOUS. I was glad they went kind of easy on the morg. I didn't want them making the missionaries out to look stupid. Instead, I think they made them to look really sincere, just a little deluded. But it was the best musical theater ever. Worth the $100 tickets. Alexandra Ncube played Nabulungi in this production and she was beyond incredible. I can't imagine anyone being better. What a voice.

Posted by: Fenwick Montgomery ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 04:23PM

Saw it; thought it was lame.

Posted by: deepcreek ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 05:26PM

+1 on OP about BoM musical being a middle figure to the Mormon church.

We saw it in Portland last week, our first time seeing it, and Elder Price gets the BoM shoved up his ass by the warlord. X-rays show it on stage, that was hilarious. That's giving the middle finger to the church where I grew up.

The Africans singing their song in a skit to the Mission President gathered around. They slap the assembled white LDS leaders around with their enormous penises. Jesus says FUCK FUCK Mormons ends their skit. That's giving a clear message.

Ending the play with a tribute to the Book of Arnold is pretty funny too.

Loved it, we want to see it again. Highly recommend to watch.

Posted by: sloperut ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 07:35PM

We have tickets to see it in SLC (had to buy season tickets to purchase early). I cannot wait.

Bonus fun - The side show of TBM freak-out in the morrodor should be a hoot too ;^)

Posted by: shiningwaters ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 08:23PM

I actually have tickets for September. My only question is my boyfriend is a nevermo and doesn't know a lot about religion or Mormons. Will he enjoy it or is there something I should teach him before we go?

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:21PM

Yes, but I got distracted by some of the satire that was going on as it started to remind me of some of my mission experiences. So instead of laughing I got mad. Not at the musical, but at myself for allowing me to be abused that way and not sticking up for myself. Oh well, in another life I guess. The musical was a crack up otherwise.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:11PM

I loved it.

Actually the MESSAGE of the musical is PURE MORMONISM: An
elder, seeking personal glory, puts himself ahead of the
well-being of others. His misfit companion, however, pours
himself into the work with a deep caring for others. In the end
they convert a bunch of people to something uplifting and
positive.

How could the Church be against that??

Posted by: jbstyle ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:00PM

This is long (for which I apologize), and discusses child sexual abuse.

I had planned to see the musical, and had been given the soundtrack as a gift, but I couldn't even make it all the way through the soundtrack. I forwarded through the song with the lyrics "F--- you, God, in ass, mouth and c--t." No harm, no foul, just not my sense of humor. But then there is a "joke" about Africans believing you can cure AIDS by raping a baby. That is a massively triggering issue for me; I ejected the cd from the car stereo and was really glad that I happened to be driving to my therapist.

It's very hard to explain such a drastic and involuntary reaction to someone who does not have exposure to abuse -- the standard answer from people is that the musical wasn't advocating infant rape. Well, of course they're not, and I would never suggest that they are. (They are, however, using its inherent shock value as part of a joke and are encouraging the audience to laugh at the thought of anyone believing you could cure AIDS in this manner. That apparently doesn't bother too many people.)

But regardless of that, just the fact that they suddenly start talking about infant rape in a setting in which one isn't expecting it is likely to be extremely distressing for people who are triggered by such a topic, and I really don't want anyone else to have the same experience I did, especially since I was lucky enough to just be able to eject the CD immediately and didn't have to pretend it wasn't upsetting or explain why it was affecting me in that way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.