Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tanngrisnir ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 06:19AM

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe's_Law

Poe's Law is an axiom suggesting that it's difficult to distinguish between parodies of religious fundamentalism and genuine proponents of religious fundamentalism, since they both seem equally insane.

Now that we've established that, here is my question: Is this article not a perfect example of Poe's Law?

http://www.cureloms.com/Cureloms.pdf

I thought I'd just post this since I have seen few weirder Mormon things on the internet. This guy has typed unreadable nonsense for pages upon pages, all on the topic of Cureloms and Cumoms being Mastodons. He's absolutely crazy! The whole document is full of very excessive alliteration, and yet I think he wants to be taken seriously! Is this a joke? I honestly can't tell.

Some of my favorite excerpts:

"This treatise transforms this puzzling passage from problematic perplexity into one more tiny thread in the tremendous tapestry of telling testimony for the Lord's divine latter-day marvelous work and majestic wonder -- the profusely prophesied exuberantly ensigned reestablishment and restoration of the original and official creed and church of the Holy Messiah, our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ."

"There are plethoric and plentiful petroglyphs/pictographs/paintings/pictures/pieces/portrayals that have been presumed to be Proboscidea; they range frompotentially plausibly possibly Proboscidea to powerfully persuasively positively Proboscidea."

"A subsequent section will make a sweepingly comprehensive and strongly compelling solid case that the Proboscidea were clearly coexistent with the incredibly sophisticated and fairly recent civilizations of ancient America. If one accepts this advanced-civilization coexistence contention, then the dubious and dubitable premise would be in defending the notion that no one in these brilliant civilizations ever thought of domesticating Proboscidea."

"Yet a dizzyingly deep dive into detail yields two truly outstanding Proboscidean candidates, without any decent alternatives. Imposters do not tend to get supported on unusual prognostications. Another alleged absurdity again arguably adduced as an alluringly affirming attestation."

NUTS!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 06:55AM

Can't you tell a real revelation when you see one? Hmmmm? Is the author of this a prophet or what? I say lets have this canonized and added to the Pearl of Great Price.

Just kidding, of course.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 07:33AM

enough to give me PTSD.

This is surely a parody.

Briggy

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 10:36AM

Anyone who wrote such torturous prose wanting to be taken seriously should be shot.

On the other hand, RaptorJesus could probably do it far better and more entertainingly. (Although I'm not sure our friendly neighborhood carnivorous dinosaur could be a convincing Poe.) :)

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 11:55AM

I thought you meant "PO" in KUNG FU PANDA .. Actually he has some wonderful truisms that could really help religion

JB

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 03:37PM

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 03:35AM

You know "I am the very model of a modern major general.."

Just me? I thought so. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.