Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 04:49PM

Every day it looks more and more like I will be moving to Utah. My ex and son live in Utah county, and if I move out there, a dear friend from this board has offered to take me in while I get my feet on the ground.

I am 30 year old liberal attorney who will be very much a fish out of water. So, here's the question: Where do I go for entertainment that won't make me want to blow my brains out? Where are the NOMO young adults in Utah and Salt Lake Valleys? Any advice would be welcome.

I guess what I'm asking is, young adults on the board, will you go out with me?

Not so young adults, will you ask your young adult kids to go out with me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 04:56PM

If I was in Happy Valley still, we could meet up and hang out, but alas, all i can tell you are some places to go:
Check out Velour on University Ave. It's a music venue for the counter-culture out there. You'll meet planty of never and ex-mos.

City Limits is a bar on W. Center- I used to tend bar there and since Atchafalaya's is closed, it's catering to a younger crowd-. Plenty of interesting weirdos hang out there and also ABG's where a friend of mine bartends. Juice and Java is a good place to meet like minded people bpth in Provo and Orem locations. The counter-culture is small, and everybody ends up knowing everyone else, but you will meet some really cool people if you keep looking.

Date: May 20, 2011 05:02PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 05:06PM

Some of the most amazing people I know are in that scene. My BFF I met at Denny's back in the late '90s! I also met my BF at City Limits. I adore the main bartenders there and they are good friends. I have no doubts you will make friends with some of the wonderful people I know there, especially being one of 'dem liberals. :)

It was hard for me to move back to Utah, because I am a Colorado neo-hippie liberal weirdo, but I found that Happy Valley really is changing, slowly back in '04.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 05:07PM

It isn't hard to find interesting things to do in Utah, especially if you let go of your preconceptions.

itzpapalotl talked about stuff to do in happy valley. In SLC it is even easier to find interesting things. There are lots of bars. I go to the SLC library a lot. All throughout the summer there are interesting, non-Mormon festivals to go to like the beer festival (this will be the second year), arts festival, etc. Just last night I was at an event called Tastemakers where my friends and I went to about 25 restaurants and sampled their food and their alcohol. About 3-4 times a year I go on a the SLC bar crawl.

Most people in SLC are non or ex Mormon. The city itself has a population that is very liberal and very socially active while still keeping a small community type feeling.

Besides that, there is an active exmo community around here. Last Friday I went to a random party where I met a bunch of exmos who I had never talked to before. Stuff like that happens all of the time.

I've lived all over the world, literally, but I'll probably always come back to Salt Lake.

Date: May 20, 2011 05:11PM

DXW and I used to go up to Sugar House all the time when I was there for my first year of law school. I have few preconceptions. I only asked because I have never been there as an exmo, you know?

SLC is nice. Very laid back and yet very clean.

I am just glad to hear a few names of hangout places in Utah Valley, since that is closer to where I am going to live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 05:12PM by rogertheshrubber.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 05:42PM

I'm realizing now that you were talking about Utah County, not about Utah in general :)

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 05:59PM

At a bare minimum I'll be happy to buy you a coffee at Starbucks.

Date: May 20, 2011 06:12PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 06:10PM

I can't imagine trying to make a career as an attorney in Happy Valley as a non-Mo...

It's only about a 40 minute drive up a pretty canyon...

Just a thought... Good luck...

Date: May 20, 2011 06:15PM

Utah is weird. It only has two sittings for the bar and won't accept my multistate exam OR my ethics exam. So I will be doing something different for a while. Not sure what, but the alternative is to leave my son without a father for another 20 months. Not happening.

Posted by: anon12345 ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 09:11PM

Just an FYI - all states only offer the bar exam twice a year, not just Utah. Also, there are lots of other states that don't accept MBE transfers unless they are concurrent and Utah does accept the MPRE as long as it was taken within the last few years. There are other states with similar time limits.

I don't blame you for not wanting to keep up the practice...ha

Date: May 20, 2011 11:01PM

Right. I was just surprised at the dates of the Utah Bar, as well as their cutoffs. I guess I remembered, incorrectly, a third siting in Va.

I haven't seen a state that requires the same sitting, as was just disappointed that i will miss utah's 2 year limit on the MPRE. Oh, well.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 06:30PM

Stay in salt lake, no needs to know if you were mormon
Live your life...eh {rihanna}

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 08:00PM

My young adult daughter would love to go out with you and laugh about Mormons and their beliefs....but she is in Texas now. Would you date a person in the AF? Take a trip to Hill AFB and that area...surely some places must exist where the nevermarrieds go.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 08:38PM

Roger, too bad you are not going to California. I have two unmarried daughters in your age range, smart/funny/ beautiful.

Not that I'm biased...

Anagrammy

Date: May 20, 2011 10:29PM

I know they are amazing.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:53PM

Tks, Roger!

Posted by: exmomedic ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 02:51AM

I vote for California! Lots of cute/single non/ex mo girls out here in Los Angeles!

I'm 24 if you're looking for a new friend, I'd love to talk :)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 05:55AM

Or move. Either one is cool.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:44AM

Get a membership to the Owl Bar at Sundance. You can meet some cool people there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2011 08:45AM by NormaRae.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 11:11AM

Date: May 21, 2011 07:55AM

In the Morridor. If it was up to me, Cali would be a great option.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:48AM

Especially since your child will be raised in that atmosphere and will need a voice of reason.

Watch for some of the UT County meetups. Even if it's older people. They know people who know people who have nice daughters. Know what I mean. I loved the exmo subculture in UT County and some of those people will always be my long-time friends even though I'm on the other side of the country now. There really are some incredible people there.

Posted by: Mårv Fråndsen ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:39AM

Since you will be part of a counterculture of sorts, people may hang together better.

Posted by: misseponine ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 11:07AM

My husband and I will hang out with you! We're smack dab in the middle of Orem!Our ages hover around 30.

Juice and Java on State in Orem is a great place to find new friends....Sunday Grocery shopping is a blast though! Harmon's has freshly brewed coffee and stores (and streets) are deserted for us heathens to enjoy!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 11:10AM

but the organizations need volunteers. It's good for everybody and you'll meet the nicest people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.