Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 03:01PM

I have seen this discussed here..MY thoughts.....If a person has an eucation that he has memorizing and factual content only, they are probably inclined to believe whatever the church teaches. However, educated persons that have background in research and statistical abilities, are more likely to see the clown act. There are many levels of education, types of degress, travel and world experience. Some educated persons are machines that memorize only and have never been taught to think, explore, test and analyze information. Most that leave the church are probally those that think for themselves, test life, and have worldly experience that just not fit the morg. They leave....the other personalities and education, at any level that is mostly memory are perfect cult members.

Remember hundini was a master at deception, and psychics, Tara cards and crystal balls and palms of a hand revelators all have good businesses and charge less than 10%. Anyone willing to dress up in the temple clown costums is one brick short of a full load. Magic underware is for children under 5 that have immiginary friends and super power friends and batman costumes. Any adult that does or believes in this shit has not grown up and live lives to obey daddy and mommy. Perfect people for cults.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 03:06PM by get her done.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 03:16PM

I'm not sure though. I have family who seem very intelligent who are still blindly following.

Maybe tscc is so good at brain washing that even some of the researchers and explorers still don't question this one part of their lives. Tscc is such a good story, if it were true. I think thats why people stay. The convince themselves its true.

I totally understand how you came to your conclusions though.

Posted by: anon female ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 05:27PM

I would say it doesn't depend so much on IQ as on training. If you're educated in a system in which you get rewarded for asking the "difficult" questions, you're more likely to argue with anything that's put before you, question it and if it stands up to scrutiny, accept it. That's to say that if you're always taught that a + b = c, and anything else is wrong, you're not stupid. If you've learned from a young or later age onwards that "c" is debatable, you're more likely to question.

Once you start questioning, and are willing to accept that "c" may not be the answer, things start falling apart and coming together differently. IMHO nothing to do with IQ but the training and willingness to accept that the result might not be what we want it to be.

Posted by: Eric2 ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 06:23PM

That depends on personality type as well. ie: INTP vs. INTJ. The INTP is perceiving and more likely to question, while the INTJ is judging and more likely to stick with his/her original opinion and not question.

Posted by: anon female ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 07:32PM

No doubt there. A certain type is always going to question. But if you're like me, a lot of it comes down to being in an environment that encourages questions and rewards you for asking. When I entered university, my professors shouted at me for being complacent. I was brilliant giving the "right" answers, but they wanted to see me think and argue my corner. I didn't have a corner. I burst into tears when one of my professors shouted at me "but what do YOU think?"

I nearly died the first time I dared tell my professor that I thought he was wrong. Okay, it turned out that I was wrong, but being told that I'd done well by an authority figure for disagreeing was mind-blowing. Once I got the idea that thinking outside the box got me further than programmed answers, a whole world opened up. On my own, I doubt that I ever would have asked. I was fine, until I discovered "why" and "I disagree". I'm even better now.

Posted by: nate ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 03:37PM

For the under 50 crowd this seems to be very true. Most of the kids I grew up with who went into fields that required critical thinking are long gone. Many of them left in their 20s and 30s. There are some exceptions, as always. Those who are trained to follow the rules and memorize are largely still droning along.

Some people post about one study that was done back in the 90s that claimed that those who were more educated took longer to leave. That is only one data point and has the smell of being flawed.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 08:03PM

I have to say I agree with this.

I have no talent for anything where i'm just makeing money I need to think and not just about numbers and letters. A simple nine to five pure facts based wont cut it for me.

I went into peroforming arts fields and slowly started to build up my ability to think. In the end I did critical thinking. It helped alot with me finding whats right for me not what someone else thinks is right for me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.