Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: benben ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 12:20PM

What is garment second base? Getting felt up under the shirt to check for garments. Now I am sure there are many here with crazy stories about various ways of being felt up for garments, but I will admit that this was the first time I had personally heard of someone sticking their hand UNDER the clothes and rub the skin! I want to hear your stories, but for now here is mine.

My TBM wife has slowly started peeling the veil away from her eyes over the past few years. She isn't completely out yet, and is still holding onto a few things, but she is slowly coming around. I started calling her my "semi-active TBM wife", but she is now my "almost completely free wife."

Recently, within the past month, the garments finally came off--at least for 90% of the time. Every once in a while, she will wear the garments. But generally, they are off!

Anyways, this past weekend, she was visiting with her active TBM mother and Uber TBM sister. On top of the expected, "Oh you aren't coming to church with us?" There was a point where MIL was standing with my wife in line at a restaurant.

I guess because they were just standing around, my normally-appropriate MIL chose that time to stick her hand up the back of my wife's shirt, and rub her back looking for garments! I guess before my wife could say anything, MIL stopped and said, "Oh, no garments?" My wife cut the topic short and responded with something like, "My garments are crappy, and I don't want to spend money on new ones." it worked for the time being...but we'll see.

Any other strange garment feel-ups from you guys?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 12:36PM

Anywhere else something like that would get you a black eye or a conversation with a cop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 12:36PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: mick ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 01:00PM

Not sure if this is completely true or not, just need some confirmation.

A friend of mine who went to BYU said that something similar used to happen. He said that when you went on a date that the girl would sit beside you and very sneakily run her hand down your thigh checking to see if you were wearing them. Apparently if you weren't wearing them you wouldn't get a second date.

Like I said, I never went to BYU, so I don't know if it is completely accurate. But maybe someone else out there has more insight.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 05:45PM

I have a nevermo co-worker who went to BYU. He said he got the garmie feel regularly. Luckily, he had a couple of friends who would loan him garmies for dances. He said it was the only way to get a second dance, let alone anything more.

Posted by: benben ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 07:25PM

This is true. But it happens outside of BYU too. It always pissed me off even when I was TBM!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 01:14PM

...with a grabby boss many years ago. This guy was always coming up behind the young girls- we were cashiers standing at lines of registers- and grabbing. I guess he figured no one would say anything because of not wanting to make a scene.

Me? I made a scene. I saw him out of the corner of my eye coming up behind me. I was just opening a roll of coins- I forget what kind- so I was ready. As soon as I felt his (sleazy slimy) touch, I let out a shriek you could hear all the way to the back of the store and my hands flew up in the air, scattering coins everywhere. As people started diving for them, I hastily turned, making sure that my hip “accidentally” hit my ca$h drawer, making even more noise. The slimeball recoiled as if he’d been shot and as I breathlessly but ever politely said: “Oh, I am terribly sorry, you startled me” he scurried hastily away. He ignored me ever after. Of course the other young cashiers weren’t so lucky, but none of ‘em had the nerve to try my solution!

I think someone should try this with the GF (Garmie Feel) and then Return and Report.

Anyone? Hmm????

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 01:23PM

My TBM wife still refuses to believe that any member of the church would be rude enough to actually check for garments. Just because she has manners doesn't mean the rest of her family does.

Garment Second Base! That is rich.

Stunted.

Posted by: Nalicea ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 01:33PM

Mick, you are 100% correct. My husband has told me many times that the girls at BYU-Idaho would feel his thigh, because they were intentionally looking for the "holy" garment line to see if he was temple worthy. It didn't happen just once to him, but several times. My DH even knew a guy that did not wear garments, but put painter's tape around his thighs to fool the girls, so they would feel that bump on the thigh in the right spot. LOL!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 02:07PM

(I felt a thigh)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 07:40AM

Isn't interesting that you won't be getting any unless they think you are temple worthy?

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 01:39PM

Creepy and personally invasive. Decent people have a few boundaries.

Just have your wife say she's not allowed to talk about it outside the temple.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 02:19PM

Had a girl at BYU - Provo pull forward my shirt and look down my chest to check for garments. I did the same to her. She got all upset at me, and I suggested that if she wanted to play looky, it worked both ways. She was smart and dropped it then and there. Do these people know no boundries?

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 02:20PM

One other thought on this, I once asked my brother who works for the church if the men wore cheap, thin, poly cotton shirts so their associates can see that the are wearing the old style, one piece garments. He answered in the affirmative. Ugh!

Posted by: mormon411 ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 02:40PM

I have a step sister who did that to me once. It was so violating that I could have killed her. It's none of their damn business what underwear I choose to wear.

Sis was spending the night at my house because she was flying out the next day and I was going to drive her to the airport. The evening before her departure, she offered to give me a back massage.

She, of course, is TBM and I've known for a long time that they have been very curious to find out if I still wear G's since going inactive. Well, I noticed that as she was "massaging" me that she was checking the tags on my undershirt. How rude and violating!

I can't believe that grown adults engage in this activity. If you want to know if I'm wearing holy G's, just ask me. But to offer me a massage and then check my tags?

They really don't know boundaries. Since I feel that they shouldn't be wearing G's, is it okay for me to feel them up whenever I want to? Of course not, but they just somehow don't seem to understand that.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 02:52PM

My grandmother, who has dementia, couldn't remember to bathe or take her pills everyday, but somehow she always remembered to ask if I still wore my garments. From the stuff I was wearing, I'm sure she could see that I wasn't. But I guess even inappropriate questions still don't seem to evade the mentally handicapped.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 04:00PM

?!?!? I don't understand why anyone other than a spouse (or a parent if you are age 8 and under) would feel free to stick their hand up your shirt? I agree with the poster who said that this would get you a black eye and a talk with a cop anywhere else.

suggestion for those who have girls running their hands up your thighs--grab their hand and put it wherever you like.

Posted by: milamber ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 05:34PM

If I saw a chick running her hands on a guys thigh, I'd think she was up to something else entirely!

How does that action avoid the appearance of evil?

'evil' being defined in their own terms, of couse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 05:34PM by milamber.

Posted by: tabithaisafraid ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 09:27PM

It's not exactly a garment check but my TMB sister (who is slowly eeking her way out) was just reported to her bishop by her friends because the husband of her friend noticed she was not wearing her garments when she bent over (guess the top of her colorful undies were peeking out).

Posted by: ItWasSydneyStupid ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 01:57AM

How creepy, but a mother has to know.
This reminds me of an institute dance I went to, literally the day after taking out my own endowments. It was only 2 weeks before going to the MTC when some friends and I decided to go to the Christmas dance at the 'tute' in Ogden. There was this one gal that just kept glancing at me so of course I had to ask her to dance..... now for the creepy bit; About 10 seconds into dancing I feel her finger slip under my back collar to feel for garments, why do I know that is what she was doing? because the next thing she said was "So, where did you go on your mission?" LOL When I told her I was about to go into the MTC it was like the cold cut off one gets when speed dating, its almost as if she stopped right there and said "NEXT!" lol

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 03:26AM

this kind of thing before. Fascinating. I'd be very annoyed. If I'd known though, I could have used it as an excuse for dressing skimpily, "I hate the garmy groping!" Although I'd never dare mention garments to my family members, so never mind. (Since the are TBM and I've almost always been openly not.)

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:16AM

I remember getting this but in a different way. I used to think "Man, I have great biceps! These women can't get enough of feeling me up." Almost every 1st date with a Mormon woman they were running their hands up and down the outside of whatever arm they were sitting next to. Usually my right arm as we were driving in the car. I had a few try to look down the front of my shirt. It took a while for the pattern to sink in. I usually didn't get 2nd dates if this happened.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.