Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 06:22PM

"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand. For all one knows that demon is simply the same instinct that makes a baby squall for attention. And yet it is also true that one can write nothing readable unless one constantly struggles to efface one's own personality."

-George Orwell-

Thank you again for the link.

I need to take a short walk now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 20, 2011 11:35AM

Date: April 20, 2011 01:42PM

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 01:57PM

Uncanny, RJ. You zeroed in on exactly what I was thinking when I recommended the essay. It wouldn't have had the same effect had I just quoted what you yourself quoted.

As pleased as I am that you followed up by reading the essay, I'm far more pleased that you received the quote with the spirit I was offering it in. You see, I'm secretly rooting for ya. I've been exactly where you are now. It was well worth it.

Here are a few more quotes:

There is nothing terrible inside us or on earth or possibly in heaven itself except what hasn't been said yet. We won't be easy in our minds until everything has been said once and for all, then we'll fall silent and we'll no longer be afraid of keeping still.

--Louis-Ferdinand Celine--
--Journey to the End of the Night--

So long as you write what you wish to write, that is all that matters; and whether it matters for ages or only for hours, nobody can say. But to sacrifice a hair of the head of your vision, a shade of its color, in deference to some Head Master with a silver pot in his hand or to some professor with a measuring-rod up his sleeve, is the most abject treachery...

--Virgina Woolf--
--"A Room of One's Own"--

Even the most incorrigible Maverick has to be born somewhere. He may leave the group that produced him --he may be forced to-- but nothing will efface his origins the marks of which he carries with him everywhere. I think it is important to know this and even find it a matter for rejoicing, as the strongest people do, regardless of their situation. On this acceptance, literally, the life of the writer depends.

--James Baldwin--
--"Nobody Knows My Name"--

If you find yourself in need of more I've plenty more to give.

Gird up your loins and give it everything you've got. Everything.

Cheers.

Human

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 02:08PM

Two of my favorites:

"When writing a novel, that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: 'House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day."

and

"The idea of a query letter is to take this book you've written, this incomparable masterpiece that took five years and destroyed your marriage, and summarize it on a single piece of paper while still leaving enough room in the margins for a publisher or agent to scribble, "Sorry, not for us."

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 03:31PM

"Joseph Smith dictated the Book of Mormon in 90 days, and look at what a piece of trash it came out to be. So please, if you are going to write a book, take your time, and don't rush things the way Mr. smith did. Take as long as you need to take to do it right."
--Misfit
--Exmo Board

Date: April 20, 2011 03:36PM

Cuz. hahahahahhahahhahahahhaha

hahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahha

ahahahahhahahhahhaha!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.