Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:01PM

Below are extraordinarily egg-faced excerpts from the male-chauvinist meanderings of then-Mormon Church president, Gordon Piggly-Wiggly Hinckley, in an interview with David Ransom of the Australian Broadcasting Company news show "Compass, " on the LDS Church's Neanderthal notion of not allowing LDS women to have or exercise the priesthood:
_____

David Ransom: At present women are not allowed to be priests in your Church. Why is that?

Gordon B. Hinckley: That's right, because the Lord has put it that way. Now women have a very prominent place in this Church. They have there own organisation. Probably the largest women's organisation in the world of 3.7 million members. And the women of that organisation sit on Boards. Our Board of Education--things of that kind. They counsel with us. We counsel together. They bring in insight that we very much appreciate and they have this tremendous organization of the world where they grow and if you ask them they'll say, "We're happy and we're satisfied."

DR: They all say that?

Gordon B. Hinckley: Yes. All except, ah, oh, you'll find a little handful one or two here and there, but in 10 million members you expect that.

DR: You say the Lord has put it that way. What do you mean by that?

Gordon B. Hinckley: I mean that's a part of His program. Of course it is, yes.

DR: Is it possible that the rules could change in the future as the rules are on Blacks ?

Gordon B. Hinckley: He could change them, yes. If He were to change them that's the only way it would happen.

DR: So, you'd have to get a revelation?

Gordon B. Hinckley: Yes. But there's no agitation for that. We don't find it. Our women are happy. They're satisfied. These bright, able, wonderful women who administer their own organisation are very happy. Ask them. Ask my wife.

Gordon B. Hinckley: Are you happy? (to his wife . . . )

Mrs. H: Very happy! (laughs)
_____

("'Compass' Interview with President Gordon B. Hinckley, Australian Broadcasting Company, aired 9 November 1997, at http://www.lds-mormon.com/hinckley.shtml)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 08:10PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:35AM

GBH: "Our women are happy". I remember that!

How would they know, one way or the other? They don't ask for opinions. And if you speak out about how you think or feel for real, they ex you.

Just ask KK!

Posted by: Tiny Tears ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:05AM

The way I remember it, we were told to be happy.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:13AM

when speaking of her group, "Our men are happy". It sounds like she owns them and they are little worker bees. That is how the Mormon Church views women.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:02AM

"Bright, able, wonderful women"...

Considering the context of Hinkley's response it's hard for me not to immediately think the following:

"Bright" = patronizing way of saying someone has average or slightly above average intelligence but they're no great shakes in the grey matter department. They're not highly intelligent, great thinkers, etc...not doctors, researchers, world leaders etc. In other words, their "brightness" is the kind of happy, sunny, basic intelligence suited to domestic duties. I admit that whenever I hear a girl referred to as "bright" instead of smart or intelligent, I cringe. Personal bias reg. this word.

"Able" = again, seems like a very basic word for assessing someone's competence or skills. But perhaps Hinkley's vocabulary skills weren't very impressive - I never paid that much attention as I'd left TSCC by the time he got promoted.

"Wonderful" = classic way to butter someone up and praise them with empty words. Why are they wonderful? You're talking about millions of women here - give us some more details aside from the fact that they're soooo happy being bright little able administrators of their very own wonderful women's organization. Not that said organization is actually under the leadership and control of men. Wonderful!

And yeah - the "our women" comment just shows how utterly out-of-touch and chauvinistic he was. Letting one's wife speak for several million people in terms of how "happy" they all are. What a bright and able example of our elderly - awww!

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:37AM

Basically admitting that changes *are* by public demand and not revelation.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:49AM

Like when god extensively rewrote his (never her) "eternal" temple endowment ritual in 1990.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:31AM

What a great example of Spinster Hinkster spinning his tales again. He made me cringe and shiver when I looked at him, and when I now hear his words, the same feeling travels up my spin.

"Our" women, indeed.

The guy was riddled with secrets. I wonder if he imploded when he croaked and they all seeped out, creeping like a black river, of well, crap? We'll never know, will we?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 10:33AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:40AM

*Waves at Steve! :)

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:57AM

The one's that aren't we excommunicate. Can't have this "little handful one or two here and there" spoiling the rest of them, can we?

They're all happy because we tell them to be.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.