Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amos ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 10:43AM

I've heard there are a few examples of misquotes of Isaiah by Ethan Smith in his View of the Hebrews where these same misquotes show up in the BOM. Can anyone familiar with these provide me with some reference?? thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 03, 2011 10:43AM

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 11:43AM

I just did a quick check and found a spot where the View of the Hebrews used a different word than the KJV of the Bible, but the BoM had the KJV word. Sorry. If there are any spots where the BoM plagiarizes View of the Hebrews, let me know!

Posted by: mike ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 10:58PM

Am curious as well.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 11:52PM

I've never heard that, could you be confusing this with the fact that the same errors in the KJV of the Bible show up in the BOM when it was supposedly translated from the plates they got from Laban?

Date: April 04, 2011 12:45AM

The nearest (possible) common misquote I can find is apparently Ethan Smith misquoted Isaiah 11:11-12 by saying 'isles of the sea' instead of 'islands of the sea' and 'quarters of the earth' instead of 'corners of the earth.' When Zenos paraphrases the same prophecy of Isaiah in 1 Nephi 19:16, there is the same misquote using 'isles' and 'quarter' instead of the proper KJV 'islands' and 'corners'.

I would expect Mopologists to point out, however, that when the BoM quotes Isaiah 11 in 2 Nephi 21, the correct KJV words are used. So we can assume Zenos and Ethan Smith made the same innocent mistake in quoting Isaiah, which obviously proves.....the KJV is the most correct of any book on earth! :)

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 08:40PM

You may want to check this out

http://www.lds-mormon.com/voh.shtml

Date: April 04, 2011 11:55PM

Thx Nina! You hit the jackpot. That was just what I was looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 12:13AM by amos.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 01:24PM

You're welcome! My ears 'perked' a long time ago when I learned that the author of View ofthe Hebrews was the pastor at the Cowdery's church.

I loved it when I read in the above site "No 'decent' plagerist uss only one source" LOL!

Well, Wasn't it Cowdery who stated that "John the Babtist" sounded alot like Sidney Ridgon"?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.