Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 12:34PM

It's pure magic I tell ya' !

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ANONJUSTFORTHIS ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 12:35PM

I HAVE INSIDER INFORMATION ON THE HOSANNA SHOUT AND IT'S ORIGINS

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 01:04PM

That's nice.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 01:07PM

Me too.

Joe Smith pulled it out of his ass, like the rest of bullsh!t surrounding the Cult.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 04:06PM

..I'm still trying to figure out where the ridiculous term "Rameumpton" came from....which has to be pure BS, for sure.

Maybe I can find it on Vernal Holley's map.............

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 11:30AM

You nailed it.....right out of his ass.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 12:36PM

The Hosannah Shout is like NASCAR for Elohim. He just can't get enough if all those Snot Rags being waved like that.

Yes god is really a 9 month old child.

Posted by: this alien ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 01:02PM

participated in a hosanna shout during one of the tokyo temple dedications. 21 years old, and mystified that i knew nothing about the church i grew up in.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 01:11PM

I felt really silly doing it when the Toronto Temple was dedicated.

Posted by: gress ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 01:19PM

My husband and I participated in one of these back in the mid-70s for the re-dedication of the Mesa Temple (after some extensive refurbishing work). We had gotten tickets to go through the temple along with many other looky-lous from the metro Phoenix area. I went through mainly out of curiosity to see if there was anything within that would grab and fill me with a burning desire to be sealed therein. I hadn't any ideas of leaving Mormondom but was really having trouble feeling the spirit and hoped this might ignite it.

Well, we then had the opportunity to attend the Re-dedication services since we were members of a Mesa ward. Co-incidentally , we weren't full-tithe payers by any means. We got all gussied up on the appointed day and presented ourselves at the assigned over-flow building. At the door we were each handed a white hanky and told we would need it during the service. Hence my one and only intro (quite unexpectedly and with no prior info) to the Hosanna Shout. Thought it was both creepy and comical. I kept trying to visualize the ancient Israelites performing the same rite.

How did it afffect us you might ask? My husband and I were never sealed. I resigned my membership in the latter 80s and was among the first limited group allowed to do so. Thank you, Norman and Muriel Hancock!!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 01:47PM

Cult? Naaahhhh........

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 04:02PM

Shout? Closer to a whimper when I heard it.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 04:13PM

I had forgotten about that. I was 13 and that dedication was my first indication that Mormonism might be a cult. We brought our own handkerchiefs for the "Hosannah shout," so my parents explained what it was. I said, "You've got to be kidding."

I would love to know if they collect the handkerchiefs afterwards--they would be that cheap. Make the Young Women launder and iron them all.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 04:21PM

I went to the dedication of the Dallas Temple and vaguely remember the shout. Strange folks the TBMs. Boy I am so glad not to be among them any longer.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 04:34PM

symbols seem important to most religions, but:

aren't they Only Effective if the people know, understand their meaning, import?

(sry for asking)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 08:28PM

We went to one of those televised temple dedications right before we left for good. My kids, who were 10 and 12 at the time were really creeped out by the Hosanna Shout too. They told me later they wanted to ask if they were in a cult.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 08:31PM

The Hosanna Shout is kewl! Except when creepy old men with pedosmiles do it.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 08:33PM

Oh wait...maybe it's because it becomes from Hinckley, that's why...

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 08:44PM

It's for the people not for God. Make the masses think you know the secret to the Big Mystery. Then you can keep controlling them.

If the people understood it all, they would not need the GAs.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 08:52PM

That was just plain weird. I think it would be more accurate to call it "the Hosanna Monotone".

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 09:23PM

C U L T

And he does it with a straight face, too.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 09:52PM

Yep, participated in one in the Columbus Temple, we were in the celestial room for that dedication, quite an odd ceremony.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:57PM

Columbus Ohio? I was there for that one.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 10:44AM

Do they ever do these out in public on the temple grounds? Might be something worth tipping off the media to.

Posted by: Pyewacket ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 12:22PM

Holy crap! That's some stupid-messed up 'holy ritual'

I mean, WHO COULD TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY?!?

Posted by: All I Wanted Was a Pepsi ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 12:39PM

Where's Hitler?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 01:15PM

There's a reason they don't allow converts to attend a temple dedication or broadcast, as they realize that would be the last time they see them. I'm saying that because I was dunked a couple of weeks before some temple was dedicated, and had I gone to the stake center, I would have realized a lot sooner that I had joined a cult.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 01:17PM

Perhaps the Hosanna Shout is really an attempt to call out to Hosea Stout and the Danites to purge the earth of wickedness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosea_Stout

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:02PM

Nothing spells cult like repeating "hosanna, hosanna, hosanna, to god and the lamb" in a drab monotones while shaking a handkerchief not quite high enough for other people to see, in a white room full of people four times your age wearing dress clothes and white slippers.

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:28PM

Look at monson in the youtube video. He looks less that thrilled. he looks like he's trying to swat a fly with the hanky. My DH's mother brought me back a white hanky in plastic from a hanky dance at Nauvoo, I think. I could not believe what it was supposed to be used for. I appreciated the thought, and I still have the plastic wrapped hanky, but I thought WTF???? and I was TBM at the time.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:35PM

I was laughing out loud. Anyone notice Monson was out of synch with everyone else? Looks like something they would do in North Korea.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:38PM

One time, I was doing the HS in my stake center. Everyone was really solemn as we peered at the big screen in front of the Chapel. The Navou temple was being dedicated. I accidentally dropped my white hanky on the floor. The retired stake president next to me, tapped me on the shoulder and said in an oh so sacred of a voice, "you have dropped you hanky, you really should be more careful with this sacred ceremony in not letting you hankerchief touch the ground." His expression was so solemn and sacred. I said thank, blew my nose, and stuffed it in my pocket and walked out.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:03PM

I believe the shout is right there on the This Is the Place Monument in SLC.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:04PM

Wait until you and a hundred other people do it in front of a television screen in a StakeBuilding.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:10PM

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:22PM

That video is insane, it should be published onto peoples facebook sites in response to the Book Of Mojo promotion they are trying to flush the world with.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:51PM

The temple dedication I went to was rather weird. Instead of going to the new temple, we went to the stake center which we were told was extension of the temple for the ceremony. We had to show our temple id to go into the building. All the doors to the outside were locked except one. Everyone was given a little piece of really cheap white cloth to wave. After the service was over, the stake had boxes to collect the white cloths in. The white cloths were going to be used at the next temple.

I was a stake clerk at the time and we beamed the service that was at the temple to the stake center. The SP insisted that when it was 10 minutes to start time, that I was to lock the doors and not let anyone into the building during the meeting. If anyone left, they could not return.

I remember yelling to people in the parking lot they had to hurry into the large and spacious building. Some hurried and others ignored me and continued to talk to their friends. You cannot imagine how pissed some members were when they presented themselves at the door after we had locked it. A once in a lifetime event and they were on Mormon standard time for it.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:00PM

I tell you, the morg and north korea are much alike. Look at vids of creepy north Korea rituals. Dead eyes, rote repitition.

Posted by: nurshandstrengthen ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:23PM

Dumb question: was the hosanna shout ever done before Hinckley?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 06:24PM by nurshandstrengthen.

Posted by: ain't got no name yet ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:36PM

They used to do the hosannah shout for other stuff in Mormonism. It goes way back. There's that story about two guys leaving on their missions, one with a wife who was seriously ill in bed. He left with a heavy heart, and after some distance away decided to do the hosannah shout and supposedly his sick wife appeared at the door and waved.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:30PM

I attended the dedication of the Dallas Temple and we did this while waving a white hankie. Come to think of it, maybe we were just surrendering.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.