Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fernando ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 10:29PM

Would like to know if the Howard Hughes will has been discussed here? Thoughts?

"Approximately three weeks after Hughes' death, a handwritten will was found on the desk of an official of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City." "...the Mormon will was eventually rejected by the Nevada court in June 1978 as a forgery. The court declared that Hughes had died intestate."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hughes

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 10:35PM

Google up Melvin Dummar, and you'll find the whole story...

Since it occurred before the "Internet Age," you'll have to look a little harder...

I believe it was Dummar's wife who was identified as having delivered the "will" originally...

Hmmm, give me a Google minute...

Had to check whether Dummar was still alive... He is, and he still maintains his story about rescuing Hughes out in the Nevada Desert was true and the will was legit...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Dummar

Posted by: Fernando ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 11:12PM

very suspicious that the will landed in the COB. Thanks for the response.

Posted by: lv skeptic ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 11:15PM

Many years ago, when I was in England and Howard Hughes was living there, I had contact with one of Hughes top mucky mucks. Most of Hughes top mucky mucks were lds.

At a different time, my current TBM DW, who I did not meet for another 20 years from that time, personally knew one of the other lds top mucky mucks.

Independentally, we were both told that Hughes had every intention to leave a large amount of $$$ to the morgdom. However, no valid will was ever found after his death. The only will found was the forgery mentioned by previous posters.

I do have to say that, at least as I remember, the LDS attorneys handled that situation right.... a will was found in the LDS offices, it was immediately turned over to the courts, and the LDS attorneys pretty much stayed out of the court fight.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 11:17PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:40AM

I couldn't find any confirmation that it was Mrs. Dummar who delivered the will to church headquarters; it may well have been Melvin... His fingerprint was found on the envelope...

A "drama-llama" account from the Deseret News I remember being discussed here...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/600114069/Dummar-may-have-told-truth-after-all.html

>"Dummar May Have Told The Truth Afterall"

>When his fingerprint was found on the envelope that contained the will, Dummar acknowledged he was the one who delivered it to LDS Church headquarters. But he claimed he got the document from a mysterious stranger who brought it to his gas station. Dummar said he read the will and didn't know if it was real or a hoax. Not knowing what to do, he drove to the Church Office Building and dropped it on a desk.

Rumors about Dummar's wife may have been floating at the time; I'm not sure. I do remember where I was when this little old lady told me Hughes had died (my dad worked for Hughes Aircraft in L.A. in the 50's, so he was often a topic of conversation).

Dummar has claimed a stranger gave him the envelope, and that he steamed it open, found he was a beneficiary, and delivered it to the LDS Church.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:50AM

Posted by: Enish-Go-On-Dosh ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 02:34PM

*snicker* We used to buy frozen fish sticks from Dummar's refrigerator truck that used to roam through Utah small towns in the 80s.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.