Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 09:40PM

It was recently brought to my attention that SLCabbie had put up an eye-catching post about "giants" strolling among us. In a previous thread, he wrote:

"It's My Fault... And Steve Benson's and Tom Clark's . . . and a whole lot of others who were here around a dozen years ago.

"We are all proud 'sponsors' of RFM's 'LGBT friendly certification.'”

"I'm terrified I'll leave someone out (having just stumbled in from a shift), but three remarkable individuals who left us include [RfMmers] Kathy Worthington, her partner Sara Hamblin, and FlattopSF.

"I also remember [former RfM posters] Shakula (a nevermo), Aussie John, and Sideon.

"Maybe [Rfm poster] WCG can chime in with some of the others who also took courageous positions.

"The board was not nearly as gay-friendly as it is now (are you suggesting it shouldn't be? There's a lot more here to put TBM noses out of joint than someone's sexual orientation), and there was one particular homophobic sort who posted as 'Col. Thomas Kane.' He was especially offensive, and a number of the gay posters took delight in baiting him every time he tossed in a gay slur.

"He made the mistake of crossing me (I'd allied myself with the 'gay side,' suggesting to anyone that if they had any issues in that area, they should drive taxi for a while; they might acquire some prejudices, but not in that area. After waitresses/food servers, gays are my favorite fares, and I wasn't gentle when he came up short on my fact checking on his racist claims involving our third U.S. President, Thomas Jefferson and his black mistress, Sally Heming.

"There were, indeed, a number of obvious TBM trolls who'd been egging Kane on, and I think ADMIN managed to identify almost all of them. They'd tried to discredit author Fawn Brodie on that subject because they'd come up empty trying to find fault with her biography of Joseph Smith.

"Steve backed up my research, and [fellow RFM contributor] Tom put in a post of support that still chokes me up when I think about it.

"I consider that action, and the post I made about the lady fare who disclosed to me she'd undergone electroshock 'gender reorientation therapy' under the aegis of BYU, as the two pieces of work I've done with the Internet that are my most satisfying and proud efforts.

"But the present situation has been an incredible group effort, and I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that reality.

"We walk with giants..."

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1276113,1276161#msg-1276161
_____

I totally get, and appreciate, what Cabbie is trying to say.

But "giants"?

If I may take a respectful, but differing, perspective.

I can't speak for others listed who may deservedly rank in Cabbie's category of those worthy of signature special status but I can, and will, speak for myself (as one critic told me once, "Steve, you're humble and proud of it").

I'm just a 5' 9" straight guy who was born, quite by accident, into the Mormon Cult and who, equally by accident, found himself sliding down a genetically-randomized birth canal, landing in a family whose name happens to rhyme with Muppet maker Jim Henson's. As for where I ended up plopping down, it was nothing "Mormon royal"; it was simply happenstance soil.

For what it's worth, I'm of the view that we--meaning all of us--come to the plate with our personal recipe of traits, temperments, talents, troubles and temporal tread wear. Having entered this biosphere through no fault, fate or feat of our own, we find ourselves reacting the way we do to this we're-here-in-this-sphere reality, based on our special blend of personal choice, basic instinct, societal expectation, cultural practice, family influence, religious teaching, educational background, geographical location, internal neurological-chemical composition, and external input from fellow homo sapiens with all their manufactured institutions designed to influence and control our thoughts and behavior.

This reaction originates from some sort of unique and complex genetic/environmental mix that serves to help make us who we are. Trailing clouds of non-heavenly but individually-wired unholy human glory, we are randomly air-dropped into our little corners of the world, from where we make our own marches, crawls, hops, skips and/or jumps through the wilderness of this insignificant blue rock we call Earth, doing the best we can--then die and turn into carbon.

Each of us responds differently to both our own surround-sound circumstances and to the drive of our own internal combustion engines, depending on our genes and on our experiences. Hopefully, amid the cacophony of hurry, scurry and fury that typifies this tiny planetary neighborhood, we make our own sound heard in ways that make personal sense to us and, in some cases, to others. Hence, in response to our deep human need for meaning and security, we end up forming communities--say, like RfM.

In my case, the personal vantage point that I was given for up-close viewing and behind-the-scenes assessing of the operations of the Mormon Cult (as provided me by the accident of birth) gave me a perspective that clearly indicated to me that LDS Inc. is poisoned by the theocratic toxins of:

--historical revisionism,

--institutional dishonesty,

--financial sleight-of-hand,

--member mind manipulation,

--community/group guilt-tripping,

--relentless pressure to conform,

--patronizing sexism,

--blind obedience,

--anti-individualism,

--scriptural racism,

--inbred homophobia,

--anti-intellectualism,

--compulsive authoritarianism,

--chronic abuse of power, and

--personality worship.

But hey, no cult is perfect.

I just thought it was wrong, evil and corrupt, It wouldn't answer my questions, it lied to me when it did, it tried to control me by making up what it thought were scary stories that would succeed in making me quake and conform, and it demanded money for those "services." Geezus, How dumb did they think I was? To hell with it, I thought, I don't need this scam trying to ruin my life and pad its bank account, so I up and left.

In my personal opinion, if there are any "giants among us," they arise in the form of godless Goliath goons--otherwise known as the Mormon Cult and other similar brain-crushing and heart-harming monsters--who stomp around the planet, using it as their own specially-entitled urinal and, in that pee-full pillaging process, ruining the experience for a lot of innocent humans who deserve better.

We are not mythical “giants” but, rather, the real “little people” of the world who make the world what it is. I don't mean that latter term in any sort of derogatory way but, at least as I see the reality on the ground, it pays to remember that in the grand scheme of things, our journey through infinite space on a small rock located in an outer ring of an insignificant galaxy is short-lived, although not meaningless.

Ernest Hemingway, in his book, “Farewell to Arms,” made the following sobering, yet, enlightening observation:

“Once in camp I put a log on a fire and it was full of ants. As it commenced to burn, the ants swarmed out and went first toward the center where the fire was; then turned back and ran toward the end. When there were enough on the end they fell off into the fire. Some got out, their bodies burnt and flattened, and went off not knowing where they were going. But most of them went toward the fire and then back toward the end and swarmed on the cool end and finally fell off into the fire. I remember thinking at the time that it was the end of the world and a splendid chance to be a messiah and lift the log off the fire and throw it out where the ants could get off onto the ground. But I did not do anything but throw a tin cup of water on the log, so that I would have the cup empty to put whiskey in before I added water to it. I think the cup of water on the burning log only steamed the ants.”

We may be ants, but this is still our hill. Even the Mormon Cult's Goliath is capable. of feeling our collective sting.

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 06:28PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 09:48PM

Thanks so much Steve, for your populist show of good will. I'm just a former back pew Mormon who fell off the bench, but I am determined to refine my voice and my worldview, and your posts have been very helpful.

5'9" throws a long shadow when it's late in the day.

Posted by: Thanks_steve ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 04:58PM

My opinion: Mormonism has peaked, tied quite tightly to the explosion of free information on the web. Therefore, more and more will join the ranks of exmormons. In my opinion, it will be a rush to hit the exits within the next decade as the earliest adopters have shown the way and demonstrated how little it hurts to leave. Everybody now has family or friends who have left, prospered, and lived (or are living) fulfilling lives. It used to only be whispered about. Now it's the members leaving are those who were active and a benefit to the local ward.

Those who follow the earlier adopters will perhaps not see their path cleared by giants. The pathway out will seem so easy from being so well-travelled. (Remember, up until the 80's, a member couldn't even get their name removed unless they were ex'd. How times change.)

Anyway, I will remember those giants who helped clear the trail. I appreciate those who made my travels easier.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 11:00PM

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 10:29AM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 04:19PM

My degree's in English, and his is in political science, and I've even got a chunk of grad hours in the subject. Hence, I'm unrepentant...

Things got prety knock-down the last argument we had, but he did manage to shed some "conspiracy" notions that were perhaps holdovers from his dysfunctional upbringing. My own childhood was equally skewed; Steve's met my dad, a former rocket scientist and NRA lifer who finally voted a straight Democratic ticket this last election (I've been working on him for nearly 15 years now, since I burned own my card-carrying conservative credentials). My own analysis of my upbringing consists of the acknowledgement that I was never technically a Mormon, but you'd never know it from my therapy issues...

I'll stick with my metaphor, thank you, and as Steve notes, I've got a few inches on him, but Will Bagley certainly dwarfs me even if he doesn't come up to my shoulder... I've even got an inch on his brother Pat, whom I finally met, and on the gay-friendly front, Pat's been a fixture at the Pride parades the last few years...

And seriously, those two are giants, I tell you. Gullivers among the Lilliputians...

Strictly speaking, the actual tallest of our crowd is [DELETED!] who's rattled some of cages that needed to be; I'm told he'll be presenting at this fall's Exmormon Conference, and I'm thinking some people who want to duck that news need to be told to put down their hookahs, and I'm getting ready to tell them to...

At least nobody is accusing me of writing revisionist history; I'd be firing up the ol' police interceptor if that were the case, and while blood atonement is strictly a rhetorical device for me, it sometimes doesn't feel that way to the ones in my headlights....

Anyway, coincidentally, yesterday I had coffee with yet another from the "old neighborhood," a high school friend who's come out as gay and presented at Sunstone...

He casts a pretty long shadow, himself...

Carry on; I'm going to take a rest... I worked my hiney off this last weekend with the Pride Festival; I would've made more but by about eight yesterday evening everyone was pretty $#!!%-faced, and there weren't that many to take home and put to bed.

A great Sabbath Day in Zion, folks...

And if any trolls show up on this one, kick 'em in the you-know-wheres for me, okay?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:24PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: June 09, 2014 06:38PM

. . . is into towering Mormon frauds.

Yeah, that's the ticket. (I should know. I've been in His Loftiness's--meaning Tom's, not God's--personal, away-from-General-Conference presence and do attest before God, angels and these witnesses that he is truly a giant of a man).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 07:10PM by steve benson.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 07:17PM

Particularly in the local you-know-what manufacturing industry...

A couple of years ago I dropped one of the Jazz player's wives off at the VIP entrance to the ESA...

A silver limo pulled up as I helping her out of the ol' police interceptor, Monson got out of the limo and looked me over...

There was a power outage at the arena later that night, and I got a kick out of knowing he was sitting there in the dark.

Who knows, might've been a message from the Almighty...

Date: June 10, 2014 02:28AM

I was sitting front and center, not more than 10 feet from him, and he zoned right in on me from the pulpit when sermonizing about the Mormon view of the afterlife and the families-being-forever thing.

Didn't do any good.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2014 01:16AM by steve benson.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 07:27PM

Height aside, he does tell some pretty tall tales that's for sure.

Date: June 09, 2014 07:46PM

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 08:41PM

Date: June 10, 2014 02:51AM

. . . which obviously drives me knuts, er, I mean nuts. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 02:52AM by steve benson.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 09:25PM

All I have to say is that I was here then and yes indeed there were many giants here and boy did I learn alot and boy did I have fun. Some of these people mentioned are still my friends on facebook and I treasure the memories we shared here. If I started to name any I would leave some out and I don't want to do that. I wish sometimes we would have a reunion day , without Colonel Kane though ;)

Posted by: terrydactyl ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 09:51PM

I would agree, Steve, you're not a giant.

However, I will say I'm impressed with anyone born to royalty (in this case mormon royalty) that can step back and see it for what it is. Then, instead of saying nothing, called it for what it is.

How many of your peers, born to Mo's upper ranks, did what you did?

Date: June 10, 2014 02:30AM

I have some cousins, though (specifically in the Reed Benson line), who have flown the coop and who have been willing to talk to me privately about their personal journeys out. Also, a couple of more distant (but not that distant) Benson relatives who have been actually quite outspoken. One has even identified himself as being a Benson descendant and has posted on RfM.

Plus, I have a first cuz on my mom's side who has rejected his born-in-the-bed Mormon faith and come out on his sexual orientation.

Everyone walks their own path.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2014 01:19AM by steve benson.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 10:48PM

Don't sell yourself too short bro, you have large. pendulous,testicles. I have been reading your stuff for maybe 20 years now

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.