Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:36PM

Back when I was a teen in the 80's my mom made a jello salad with lemon jello, mayonnaise,fruit cocktail, and marshmallows.
It actually was pretty good and I would love to have the recipe, however, my mom doesn't know what happened to it and she can't remember exactly how she made it. I know she found it in one of those old Relief Society cookbooks. I was hoping Susie Q or some of the others who had been around in RS for awhile may happen to have it. TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wings ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 04:18PM

I blew the dust off, and looking right now.

Humm....I see many with lemon jello, canned fruit -mostly pineapple- and marshmallows. None with mayo...so far. Seems these have heavy cream, whipped. (one has an egg, one has 7-up, hummm....cheese?? No. Humm..Sweetened condensed milk?

Ok...just for fun...here is one that may be closer..no mayo, but there is lemon pudding *wink*.

Lemon Chiffon Salad
1 (4 1/2 oz.) pkg. lemon pudding
1 (3 oz) pkg. lemon jello
1 c. heavy cream, whipped
2 cans Mandaranin oranges, drained
1 can fruit cocktail, drained
1 can pinapple tidbits, drained
2 bananas, cubed
1/2 pkg miniture marshmallows

Cook pudding as directed and cool. Disolve gelatin in hot water and refrigerate till partially set. Whip cream. Combine pudding, jello and whipped cream; fold in drained fruits, marshmallows.
Refridgerate to set 5 hours.

That is the closest so far...and still no mayo:(

I will look into more books for you.

Disclaimer: I have NEVER made this!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 04:44PM by wings.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 04:54AM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 04:21PM

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:37PM

Oh that reminds me of a peanut butter cookie recipe I found that called for 1lb of ground pork...

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:08AM

Date: October 23, 2010 12:16AM

Posted by: Anon nevermo ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 01:10AM

Mmmmm, pork AND lard. Who would make these??? I can't even imagine what they'd taste like. Just ew.

Date: October 23, 2010 09:15PM

Right...the fact that this recipe is on more than one site is disturbing. lol.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 04:45PM

Jello has been around for a very long time.

We usually used orange, strawberry,or lime, as a base jello for our molds. We used a variety of items in the salad, depending on whether it was a fruit salad or a veggy salad: shredded carrots, nuts, or canned fruit (well drained) or bananas. We often topped it with Dream Whip or whipping cream.

We still keep jello in the fridge with a can of whipping cream for a quick easy dessert.

I just checked with the google god..and found a bunch of recipes for lemon jello.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/1668/

I have several RS cookbooks, but they must be packed as they are not in the bookcases.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 05:34PM

Found some of the same recipes listed as dessert in one book, a salad in another. It was always a salad to me when in Mormonville....but I did go to those popular (hah) home Tupperware parties where jello was served as dessert to the guests. Sorry, but no recipe in all those books with that combo, Pink Poodle. Experiment!!

Posted by: LCMc ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 05:39PM

Like the aunt in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. She had lime jello with dry cat food.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 06:51PM

Lol...I hate the jello salads. My mom always put the blob on a piece of iceberg lettuce and made us eat the lettuce.
My sister hates lettuce to this day.
Now, vodka or wine is a mighty fine addition to jello!

Posted by: Susan ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 08:28PM

Here you go!

Frozen Fruit Cocktail Salad

* 1 large can of fruit cocktail ~ 3 ½ cups
* 1 package of lemon jello powder
* 1 cup hot water
* 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
* 2 - 3 oz packages of cream cheese
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows (colored ones are ok)
* 1/4 cup maraschino cherries ~ drained & quartered
* 1 cup of heavy whip cream ~ whipped

Drain fruit cocktail (reserve 1 cup of juice). Dissolve jello in hot water. Add reserved fruit cocktail juice and lemon juice. Chill until partially set. Beat cream cheese and mayonnaise together until smooth. Add fruit cocktail, cherries and marshmallows. Fold in whip cream. Pour into a mould or bowl and freeze over night. Garnish with frosted grapes. Serves 10

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 08:33PM

I love 7-Up salad. Always make it for holidays.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 09:17PM

I've got an old RS cookbook. It's from the 40s and is from the local stake. It has a lot of recipes from my grandmother and her sisters.

They cooked with ingredients that might be hard to find in supermarkets today. For instance what is suet?

Some of the candy recipes are really good. Especially the fudge made with cream.

I just found a real weird sounding jello salad.

Molded Tuna Salad

1 pkg. lemon jello
1 tbsp. chopped onion
1/3 cup boiling water
1 can tuna drained
1 can chicken gumbo soup
2 tbsp chopped green pepper
2 tbsp chopped celery or cucumber
1/2 cup whipped cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Somehow that just sounds wrong!

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 09:29PM

I thought pork fat is lard. Could suet be beef fat?

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:20AM

Lard is pork fat that has been rendered
Tallow is beef fat that has been rendered
I believe that suet is un-rendered beef fat

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 09:22PM

Suet is pork fat. mm, mmm good eating!

Yup, suet is beef fat; my bad!

At the OP:
I remember another thread posted on jello salads, someone knew of a mold with lemon jello and shrimp. I have a recipe of that ilk, and I will post it if you so desire.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 09:34PM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 10:39PM

From the dictionary:

suet - the hard fatty tissue about the loins and kidneys of beef, sheep, etc., used in cooking or processed to yield tallow.

lard - the rendered fat of hogs, esp. the internal fat of the abdomen.

You use suet in mincemeat.

Tyson

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 09:36PM

I was wondering if part of it was due to the church owning sugar companies and there being a lot of cattle ranchers and dairy farmers in the area that could supply the collagen?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:59PM

for families with a bunch of hungry kids.

We used to make jello "salads" all the time. I haven't eaten jello in years now and the thought of eating artificially colored, artificially flavored, congealed sugar water makes me want to puke.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:30AM

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 10:17AM

I remember Mom specifically asking the butcher to grind up some "kidney suet" with lean hamburger when she was making a meatloaf. It is very "clean" looking fat with no gristle or connective tissue in it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 01:30PM

We always had a box of Knox Gelatin in the house as a base for salads and desserts. We didn't always use the Jello brand.
Jello type gelatin desserts can be made sugar free for diabetics, for instance, and are sold in grocery stores, etc.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 01:38PM

When I find my favorite jello concoction I'll shout out post it. my calls for crushed pineapple, walnuts,lime jello, cottage cheese, and a zing of horseradish! It is crunchy mellow and zippy all at the same time.

The Beef suet is the fat around the steaks. We used to cut it off the meat and stuff it into the bird feeders with seeds for the winter feeding chickadees. It helps the birds keep themselves warm in the winter time.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 04:18PM

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:53PM

My grandmother (who had 9 children) used to keep a tin can filled with old congealed bacon grease and fats from other meats, all glopped together, with bits of burnt meat in it, and she'd use that to fry eggs and pancakes, instead of butter or olive oil.

My oldest brother had a ton of children, and my mother used to make jello "salads" for them all the time. They would not eat vegetables (except potatoes and corn) and they even hated fresh fruit! The fruit had to be canned, and molded in jello, with whipped cream, served on a single lettuce leaf, which no one ever ate. That was their salad.

Sometimes these kids would drop in unexpectedly, and we would be upset by this, because there wouldn't be enough food to go around. My mother's favorite saying was, "Fill 'em up with bread." They would fix themselves a pile of buttered white-bread toast six inches high!

Their Thanksgiving tradition is to have a "roll-eating contest."

One word: "obese" That describes my brother's kids. They claim it is hereditary. Can I add: "Video games"?

But they wouldn't dare break the Word of Wisdom.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 01:52PM

Thank you to all who responded. This sure was enlightening! I didn't know what suet was either, all though I had heard of it, and I would never have dreampt of putting pork in either jello or cookies. Wow, those mormons are a creative bunch! Wings and Susan your recipes look yummy and I just may try them. I think I'll pass on the ones with tuna and shrimp! LOL!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.