Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 05:24PM

The possibility of becoming a god seems to be a core belief of Mormonism, as described in the D&C and elsewhere. I've also run across many references to a belief that each god will get his own planet. But I've never seen a reference to an official LDS source for this second belief.

Does anyone have a citation for the Doctrine of Planetary Assignment?

Also, I've often wondered why Mormons don't refer to exalted women as goddesses? For that matter, they don't seem to refer to exalted women much at all. Can any former Goddesses-in-Embryo explain that? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:33PM

GB Hinley told Larry King that he didn't think the church teaches that, just like he said polygamy was unscripural. I wonder what the members thought of that. "Lying for the Lord"?

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:44PM

Posted by: justleft ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:53PM

It's obscure, but here you go:

"So the Gods went down to organize man in their own image, in the image of the Gods to form they him, male and female to form they them." Abraham 4:27

I always interpreted the scripture to mean that humans were created by committee and that the committee/Gods duplicated themselves, being male and female, thus Gods and Goddesses.

You can take from it what you like. The feminist in me was able to tolerate a lot more because of this scripture, which I found on my own while taking a Pearl of Great Price class as an undergrad at Institute. The instructor didn't correct me, so maybe she liked my thoughts on the matter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.